1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Exhaust Ground Strap

Posted by Jgr74, Jul 26, 2020

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
  1. Jgr74

Jgr74 Supporting Member

Joined Jul 1, 2020
    Sacramento, California
    First time posting, and been searching like crazy on the forums and most threads seem to be out of date with no links to pictures, so asking once again. I was changing the o2 sensors on my 95 gsx and notices this ground strap wrapped around the rubber mounting after the Catalytic Converter. the other end was broken off.

My Question is what is this ground strap for and where should the other end connect to? Adding a picture for reference.

Thanks!! IMG_0564.jpg

2. Lancer_lover

Lancer_lover Proven Member

Joined Apr 18, 2017
    kristianstad, Europe
    I wonder that to have the same thing on my 1g

Street Build 832  6

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM
  3. luv2rallye

luv2rallye DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 7, 2003
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    That wire strap is to ground out any static charge buildup on the exhaust pipe but is not essential to normal car operation. {It does not provide a ground for the rear O2 as some say - that O2 has it's own grounds in its harness plug.} The wire strap attaches to the catalytic convertor heat shield (looks like you might have a hole in the lip on yours for it).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020

3K  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    14.200 @ 95.000 · 2G DSM
  4. Kryndon

Kryndon Proven Member

Joined Jan 10, 2014
    Bulgaria, Europe
    To further add, both those straps are for your audio system. It cancels out the noise produced from the exhaust.

Street Build 3K  12

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    Jgr74 likes this.
  5. Jgr74

Jgr74 Supporting Member

Joined Jul 1, 2020
    Sacramento, California
    Thanks all, I dug through the electrical Service manual and found its technically called a "earth cable" I tapped it to the cat's heat shield. Added a picture for anyone with the same question in the future as well.

Attached Files:

Kryndon likes this.