The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

2G AWD Trans differences?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sypherzero

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 14, 2008
Marion, North_Carolina
Hey guys, I've googled this for the last half hour to no avail. I picked up a trans for my GSX in Sep. of last year. Not thinking there could be differences, I gladly paid for it and drove 6.5 hours there and back... Anyways, after searching the numbers on the trans, KW5M332NPZT SR2427, I've found out that the trans I have is 96 up.

Physically I don't believe there are any differences in the 95 and the 96 up, but what about the number of teeth in the trans? Does anyone know which axles (# of splines) correspond to the trans? Thanks!

The transmission differences are 2ga vs 2gb (95-96 vs 97-99). The 95-96 had a lower 2nd gear at least (maybe a slightly lower 1st) different teeth on the front diff. IIRC

if you cross trans and tcase, you will do slight "burnouts" and ruin/wear your front diff/center diff and VC much quicker. It causes your front/rear to not run at the same speed.

Last edited:
The transmission differences are 2ga vs 2gb (95-96 vs 97-99). The 95-96 had a lower 2nd gear at least (maybe a slightly lower 1st) and had different numbers of splines on the tcase. IIRC

if you cross trans and tcase, you will do slight "burnouts" and ruin/wear your front diff/center diff and VC much quicker. It causes your front/rear to not run at the same speed.

Actually the difference is the teeth count on the ring gear on the front differential. The differential gear ratio and the transfer gear ratio are different on the 2ga and 2gb. The output shaft spline count is the same so you could accidentally throw the wrong transfer case on there if you didn't know what transmission and transfer case you have. The transmission has to be matched to the transfer case to have the right ratio to match the rear diff.

The transmission differences are 2ga vs 2gb (95-96 vs 97-99). The 95-96 had a lower 2nd gear at least (maybe a slightly lower 1st) and had different numbers of splines on the tcase. IIRC

No, the spline count on the tcase is the same between 95-96 and 97+

The difference is the front diff ring gear and the output shaft are different between the 95-96 and the 97+

you have to use a 97+ tcase with a 97+trans
95-96 can use all 91-96 23spline tase

-Shawn

EDIT: ^^ beat me to it :p

Last edited:
Actually the difference is the teeth count on the ring gear on the front differential. The differential gear ratio and the transfer gear ratio are different on the 2ga and 2gb. The output shaft spline count is the same so you could accidentally throw the wrong transfer case on there if you didn't know what transmission and transfer case you have. The transmission has to be matched to the transfer case to have the right ratio to match the rear diff.

Yep thats what i meant :D

Hey chill peeps, i fixed it, wrong terminology :banghead:LOL:heystupid:

Sorry for the bump.

I have a 97 TSi AWD Manual with a bad trans.

If I get a 96 trans and matching transfer case with it, can I bolt it on my 97 with no issues? I've been searching but I've found a lot of conflicting info.

Thanks!

Sorry for the bump.

I have a 97 TSi AWD Manual with a bad trans.

If I get a 96 trans and matching transfer case with it, can I bolt it on my 97 with no issues? I've been searching but I've found a lot of conflicting info.

Thanks!
Yes you can. If you cant find a tcase you can use your final drive from your 97 trans in the 96 trans and use your 97 case. That is what I did. I have a 2ga trans

Yes you can. If you cant find a tcase you can use your final drive from your 97 trans in the 96 trans and use your 97 case. That is what I did. I have a 2ga trans

Thanks! I finally found one last weekend. A 1996 transmission with the transfer case popped up near me so I grabbed it. It was FILTHY but the guy said it was in perfect shape, so I washed it up and I'll be swapping them in a couple weeks.

I don't need to change the rear differential, right?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Thanks! I finally found one last weekend. A 1996 transmission with the transfer case popped up near me so I grabbed it. It was FILTHY but the guy said it was in perfect shape, so I washed it up and I'll be swapping them in a couple weeks.

I don't need to change the rear differential, right?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
All you need is the trans and transfer to match.
Just remember from now on you can't use your 2gb transfer. Unless you do some parts swapping.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back