1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Differences between 1G and 2G AWD

Posted by tacoman123, Dec 28, 2003

Please Support Feal Suspension
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. tacoman123

tacoman123 Proven Member

Joined Jan 1, 2003
    Hello:
    I know that alot of people will refer me to the search page, but I DID search, and I could not find anything. 90% of the time, I was getting a "30 second time out" error, while searching. Also, it would be great to have all the information in one thread.

1. Are the transmission's bolt pattern the same between the two.

2. Can I use a 1G AWD trans in a 2G AWD chassis, using the 2G ECU?

3. What are the differences in the center differential between the two?

4. Will a rear cross member from a 1G AWD bolt into the body of a 2G AWD?

5. What's the differences in suspension between the two?

6. What is the best factory rear-end between all of the years?

Thanks

~Tacoman

2. laserspeeddemon

laserspeeddemon Proven Member

Joined Jul 26, 2002
    Fredericksburg, Virginia
    1. Bolt parterns are same yes,
    2. You can use them, but you'll need to do some swap other components as well, I don''t know about the mounts though
    3. can't help you there, I dunno
    4. see 3
    5. Suspension is ALOT different, body shaper are similar but, comepletely different so you can't expect them to bolt up
    6.92-94 I beleive

841  0

1992 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  3. ASZRAEL1266

ASZRAEL1266 Proven Member

Joined Oct 15, 2002
    I do not belive there is a diff in the center diff of the cars. They are both in the tranny and the trannys are swapable.

4. 4pistons

4pistons Proven Member

Joined Nov 13, 2002
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    YES
    Do you mean for an automatic?? Manual cars have nothing to do with the ECU. Yes you can use a 1G manual trans in a 2G. You have to modify the shift linkage slightly to make it work.
    None, or so slight ot makes no difference. (Other than the 21 spline/ 22 spline 1G thing)
    2G and 1G AWD rear suspensions are completely different. Nothing interchanges. The struts, control arms, axles, hubs are all different.
    92 - 94 4 bolt LSD rear diffs and axles.

Rick - '91 GSX :dsm:

2K  0

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    13.400 @ 102.400 · 1G DSM
  5. GrandpaDaddyG

GrandpaDaddyG Probationary Member

Joined Sep 23, 2019
    Dallas, Georgia
    1990 Eagle Talon and a special one! Visited a forum post on the starter relay and the location, etc. Well, it was not where the Hayes Automotive Repair Manual suggested, same with DSMtuners; it was mounted just above the Fuse Panel all by itself and hard to see and remove! Part # MB183865 12V and according to MOPAR the part is no longer supported. Part was order from an eBay site with approximate shipping day between October 18 till November 29th! I hope when it gets here it works! The photo below is of the 1990 Eagle Talon Starter Relay, separated from it’s housing!

Attached Files:

6. GrandpaDaddyG

GrandpaDaddyG Probationary Member

Joined Sep 23, 2019
    Dallas, Georgia
    Granny’s Eagle is sick! When you turn the key, you hear clicking, relays all over the bottom portion of the dash and center console, well it sounds like it anyway to an old guy. The starter does not engage and recommended first was to search out and test the starter relay, so that is what I think I did and broke it taking it out, got fat fingers and hands. So order one to replace it and hope that resolves this issue! If not, we’ll be asking for some troubleshooting help!