The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

2g Auto Shifting issues.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyDSM

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 2, 2003
Somewhere, New_York
Bought a used-built tranny years ago and the car has been sitting since. Finally got it together and started taking it out for tuning.
But now the tranny is not up shifting from 2nd to 3rd after 2500 RPM. Just over revs unless i let off the gas and it up shifts.
Ive tried swaping out TCU. Same thing. I check Fluid level while hot and in neutral and it looks good.

I don't really want to rebuild the tranny again.. hopefully, it's something I can repair myself.

Just need some suggestions on what it can be.

Make sure your TPS is calibrated correctly. The TCU gets a signal from that and the VSS, along with the pulse generators and kickdown servo.

Checked TPS is calibrated correctly, and the Speed logged in Link looks correct.

How do I check Pulse Generators and the Kickdown Servo?

Tried to take it out today and it seems it doesn't even want to shift into 3rd...

You could have a stuck plunger in the valve body. I have had mine out to free them up after toasting overdrive a couple times. It is just tedious work to pull each one and clean and reassemble.

Hmm... That might be it. It only started after I shifted into OD. after that the issue was constant.

How do I free up the stuck Plunger in the Valve Body?

Today I decided to see if the TCU was putting out codes.

Got the 47 Code.

Is this a repair I can do my self?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Hmm... That might be it. It only started after I shifted into OD. after that the issue was constant.

How do I free up the stuck Plunger in the Valve Body?
It requires removing the valve body from the transmission and then using a few small picks, you remove each valve, one at a time, and clean the bore and the valves with brake parts cleaner until each one slides in and out with no effort. There are spings behind most of them so that is why you do them one at a time and I just lay the parts out, as they come out, onto a card table and then clean out that bore and valve, reassemble and repeat on the next one. My valves were VERY stuck, but after cleaning they slid in and out as easy as gravity would let them.

Today I decided to see if the TCU was putting out codes.

Got the 47 Code.

Is this a repair I can do my self?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
That is a serviceable part when you have the transmission pan off. Our transmissions use 3-4 electric solenoids to operate and you can replace it when you have the oil pan off of the trans.

Your transmission is probably cooked

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back