The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

2g 2.4L 4g64 7-bolt Bottom End Swap.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

"As car as valve reliefs, I think the custom pistons you can get from a few different vendors are made to accomadate for the valve clearance. I THINK."
-- You will not need custom pistons... bigger yes.... Im gonna be running he 2.4L turbo Pt pistons... 87.5mm not 86.5mm therefore ill be 1mm more than everyone else! It is a direct fit to the rods (i have crower)

"Doesn't the compression ratio on the 4G64 already need to drop? I would imagine that if you could mathematically figure out how much fly-cutting the pistons would drop the comp. ratio you could use the drop to your advantage."

-- 9.0:1 will be just fine for the 4g64 swap.... No fly cut needed with the PT pistons.... i will 100% reassure you next week

"BTW, Barnonemotorsports can get me Wiesco pistons that will work with the 63/64 hybrid motor for $475 in whatever compression I want. So that is probly more cost effective than "fly-cutting" other pistons."

-- I got my pistons for $295 :thumb:

here is my mods for my motor:
Weisco 9.0:1 c/r, Crower Rods, Findanza Cam gears, Findanza Flywheel, ACT 2600, UR underdrive, Ported 1g head, 1mm oversized SS valves, Stock cams for now, Tubular manifold, T3/T4 60-1 .63 stage 5 a/r housing turbo, 35mm tial wastegate, Pro-Street Short Route intercooler, Tial BOV, Custom COI setup, MSD DIS-2, Profec B, SAFC, 4" Dejon tool intake pipe, K&N filter, Slim Fans, Buschur 3" Cat back, custom 3" DP and test pipe, 1g intake manifold, 62mm throttle body, 680cc injectors, Aeromotive FPR, -6an Fuel lines.... almost done :D

Alright, well supposedly the guy here in town at the carquest machine shop is the best machinist within the 4 surrounding states.
Hey I'd be careful about those Carquest guys, unless you know them personally or know someone who knows them. The Carquest here sucks if you ask me. They are definitely nothing to brag about, just something to get by. BUT of course they claim they are so good!

Originally posted by treimche

Hey I'd be careful about those Carquest guys, unless you know them personally or know someone who knows them. The Carquest here sucks if you ask me. They are definitely nothing to brag about, just something to get by. BUT of course they claim they are so good!

Yeah I know, they dont claim to be good. That is just the word in town that he is the best around. He done quite a few V8 buildups too.

ok I will be ordering my rods and pistons soon anyone know of a good place to get them? I know Marcos at magnus is probably my best source for pistons. Any better place I should be looking.

ok I will be ordering my rods and pistons soon anyone know of a good place to get them? I know Marcos at magnus is probably my best source for pistons. Any better place I should be looking.
I couldn't really say who's "better" but I've dealt with and been dealing with the guys at www.powderblastco.com and they kick ass! I know they sell Ross 9:1 pistons for this 4G64 engine.

Originally posted by treimche

I couldn't really say who's "better" but I've dealt with and been dealing with the guys at www.powderblastco.com and they kick ass! I know they sell Ross 9:1 pistons for this 4G64 engine.

He only carries 6 bolt stuff, and doesnt know if it is interchangable with the 7 bolt 4g64/63 hybrid.

barnonemotorsports has Wiesco pistons for $475 in any compression you want that are made for the 64/63 hybrid.

Originally posted by talonted_one
i bet the pistons can be machined to fit like in the 4g63s.

but why do more machine work which can cost more money when you dont need to....

This guy isnt a big name dealer but he is a distributor for Weisco... Email him and see what you can get the 87.5mm Weisco Pistons for. It might be cheaper than other dealers but i cant promise you anything. The pistons he sends out are (2.4L)PT cruiser pistons. Order the 8.6 c/r for your motor to be 9.0:1.
www.Bstockum.com

Originally posted by HybridAWD

but why do more machine work which can cost more money when you dont need to....

This guy isnt a big name dealer but he is a distributor for Weisco... Email him and see what you can get the 87.5mm Weisco Pistons for. It might be cheaper than other dealers but i cant promise you anything. The pistons he sends out are (2.4L)PT cruiser pistons. Order the 8.6 c/r for your motor to be 9.0:1.
www.Bstockum.com

Will these chrysler PT pistons fit on 2g aftermarket rods?

would Eagle H-beam rods be a good choice for the stroker build up? why or why not?

You may want to get a quote from "Polk". I received a stroker rotating assembly from them two weeks ago. Mine was a 2.3L conversion, using a 4G63 block. The kit contained a 4G64 knifeedged crank, Eagle rods, JE pistons, piston rings, rod & main bearings, and the rotating assembly is balanced, for $1525. The base kit I believe is $1350, the above mentioned kit added knifedging for $175.

Originally posted by Big Woo
You may want to get a quote from "Polk". I received a stroker rotating assembly from them two weeks ago. Mine was a 2.3L conversion, using a 4G63 block. The kit contained a 4G64 knifeedged crank, Eagle rods, JE pistons, piston rings, rod & main bearings, and the rotating assembly is balanced, for $1525. The base kit I believe is $1350, the above mentioned kit added knifedging for $175.

Well I dotn want to do a 6 bolt swap, and Im too scared to build up a 4g63 7 bolt bottom end. To risky, even if it uses a completely different crank.

Polk was a sugestion on who to call for information on your options. They may offer more than just the 4G64 6-bolt crank 4G63 block option.

As an alternative (I know you said you don't want to go with the 6-bolt)
Just trying point out options that you may not have concidered. You could mount the 2nd oil pump front cover assembly to a 6-bolt block, thereby utalizing the 2nd gen crank sensor, and not have to deal with the wiring/ECU issues. Although this will take some machining to get it to mount up.

1: Deck pluging I awnsered in an above reply
2: cam gears not sure on this one
3: Head gasket Check with PBC, Magnus, Polk, Fast forward
4: Taller decked block + longer timing belt
5: Oil squirters You can go either way here. I have used both methods with and without.
6: Turbo oil return you could use the streach method, or cut the flex section out and connect with a hose, or make a custom braided line return.
7: 1st gen head, yes you still have to do the mods to use on a 2g (I am asuming that this is a 7-bolt head since we are not talking about 6-bolts here, sorry just picking)
8: Balance shaft removal yes
9: Motor mount. If one is differnt then it will be the 2g left side motor mount. The one that mounts between the timing belt end of the motor and the left front strut tower. All other motor mounts on a 2g mount to the transmission.
10: 2G rods "ok" and you mean 4G64 7-bolt crank. remember that the 64 crenk is available in 6 and 7 bolt versions also.
11: Pistons JE,Ross, Weisco will all make custom pistons for any motor in any compression ratio, if you custom order them. If you go this rout you should concider eagle or crower rods. Eagles would only add $350 to $375 to the bill, and if your going to spend $500 on pistons you might as well get a set of good rods.

Well I hope that some of this is helpful

Originally posted by Big Woo
9: Motor mount. If one is differnt then it will be the 2g left side motor mount. The one that mounts between the timing belt end of the motor and the left front strut tower. All other motor mounts on a 2g mount to the transmission.

You're talking about the one on the drivers side of the engine by the T-belts, right? How would it be off(too high, too low, off to one side, etc.)? There isn't alot of room to move that mount around there.

Yes. First there is room to move it in that area plenty of room up and down. If menroy serves I think it is to high, when using the 4G64 block. Remember the 64 block has a taller deck height, and the mounting bolts holes for the motor mount are higher. You will need to machine material off one of the two halves of the motor mounts. One piece bolts to the block on the timing belt end with three bolt/studs pointing up ( the ones that connect to the other half of the mount). The other half connects to the chassis just in front of the left front strut tower. These two halves of the mount connect together where the three bolt/studs are. If you try to just bolt them together without machining them then the one big (17mm hex head) bolt that connects throuhg the mount to the chassis will be to high. So you will need to lower it somehow.

You may want to get a quote from "Polk". I received a stroker rotating assembly from them two weeks ago.

Joe have you got the motor together yet?

If you have any questions or run into any problems give us a call.

Polk

Polk

The shortblock is together and clearenced, no problems. Currently working out some cylinder head details for the new motor. I just can't leave anything alone. If my wife got this kind of attention she could write her own series of romance novels.

Everything arived in good order, quality parts, neatly packaged, great jos Thanks.:thumb: :D

just an fyi on the rods. the crower rods will fit and clear. I went with paulter there a little lighter but the block has to be clearenced a little not a big deal. I am unsure of the eagle rods

HybridAWD,
Where do you get these PT cruiser Turbo pistons? I talked to the dealer, but they only come as a piston rod assembly. They are $75 apeace (piston and rod). Do you know where I can get a set of just the pistons.

Thanks

Are you talking about stock turbo PT pistons? Im using the weisco turbo pt pistons with 2g crower rods. I do believe the pistons with rings alone will cost the people about $400-$450. Dont quote me on that

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back