The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 2 Questions (Cams and valve springs)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohlegend

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 2, 2012
Pemberville, Ohio
First I have one BC 272 exhaust cam in my car. the other is the stock intake cam. is this setup ok to run, or should I get a matching 272/272 kit?

Second: I have a set of evo 8/9 springs that I picked up for a decent price. Will they be any better than the stock springs in my 2G?

I’m not really well versed in the world of cams but I don’t think having a mildly aggressive cam on the exhaust side and your stock intake cam are giving you any useful gains, not without some cam gears to tune the advance for optimal overlap. IIRC, that was an old school performance move but I can’t really comment anymore on that. I’d say you’re better off having a 264 or 272 cam for your intake or just swap a stock cam into the exhaust side until you decide what you wanna do.

As for the EVO valve springs, it’s been widely debated and tested that if they’re not brand new they don’t have as much spring tension as a stock DSM spring once they are used. BogusSVO did a test of valve spring seat pressure of a few different springs and concluded that you might as well spend the money and buy an aftermarket spring over a used EVO valve spring since they lose seat pressure. FWIW, I had EVO springs in a 6 bolt head with 264/264 cams back in 2008 and didn’t have any problems (the springs only had 5k miles on them though).

I’m sure some other veterans can chime in and fill in the blanks too. What are your goals for the car? That can help us get you on the right path with the parts you have.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back