The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

New cams, springs, and valve seals?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gstclipse69

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 30, 2006
Columbia, South_Carolina
I just recently bought a set of fp 2x cams. I'm about to order some Manley springs and cam seals and I was wondering if while I had the head open if I should put in some new valve stem seals?
I've read all the threads about installing cams, springs, and valve stem seals. I know I'll need a hacked up compression tester to pressurize the cc so the valves wont fall in and hit the piston. I'm also going to attempt to zip-tie the timing belt and cam gears as to keep the timing belt in place. I've heard mixed stories on this procedure. Anyhow, if that doesnt work out as planned I've read many many threads on how to time the timing belt so I thinkI'll be ok.

One other question. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, as I've done all the work on my car until this point, so heres a noob question. I'm assuming that the cam and the cam gear will have a notch or certain way that they slide together, henceforth telling me the direction that the cam is supposed to sit? I've thought about this and that seems to be the only conclusion I can come up with, and no one has mentioned anything about it on any thread I've read so I'm assuming thus far. Just wanted to be sure though!

Thanks

I just recently bought a set of fp 2x cams. I'm about to order some Manley springs and cam seals and I was wondering if while I had the head open if I should put in some new valve stem seals?
I've read all the threads about installing cams, springs, and valve stem seals. I know I'll need a hacked up compression tester to pressurize the cc so the valves wont fall in and hit the piston. I'm also going to attempt to zip-tie the timing belt and cam gears as to keep the timing belt in place. I've heard mixed stories on this procedure. Anyhow, if that doesnt work out as planned I've read many many threads on how to time the timing belt so I thinkI'll be ok.

One other question. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, as I've done all the work on my car until this point, so heres a noob question. I'm assuming that the cam and the cam gear will have a notch or certain way that they slide together, henceforth telling me the direction that the cam is supposed to sit? I've thought about this and that seems to be the only conclusion I can come up with, and no one has mentioned anything about it on any thread I've read so I'm assuming thus far. Just wanted to be sure though!

Thanks
I got your pm.

I would put in the new valve stem seals while it's apart.

I would just pull the head and reinstall with arp head bolts. A new oem headgasket and properly torqued arps go a long way!

Timing belt replacement from vfaq.com.

Definetly replace the valve seals while youre in there,I mean they are right there once you get the spring out.For the cams,before you even remove the valve cover set the timing up #1 cylinder at TDC.Then put the cams in with the dowel pin for the cam gear in the 12 oclock position and you should be good to go.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back