The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G 2.3l refresh or rebuild??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kdubya88

Probationary Member
Oct 23, 2019
mays landing, New_Jersey
I have a Wiseco/Eagle rod OEM 100mm crank 2.3l stroker that I only put maybe 2000 miles on about 12 years ago. It ran great then, has good compression, had perfect oil pressure but was put together by a much younger me with no regard to precision measurements. The block was honed and pistons/rings fitted by a local machine shop. No torque plate, and no measuring of rod or main bearing clearances.
Sooo, I've found a great local engine builder, that can at minimum torque plate hone, new rings, and properly spec fit new bearings. If my end goals are a 500-600hp street car. Do I ditch the 12 year old Eagle Rods and Wiseco pistons and spend over double for a beefier setup.
If people can make 600hp on stock blocks am I worrying to much about Eagle rods? Has anyone ever done torque plate honing without changing to a oversize bore?
The budget is getting tighter now that every maintenance, suspension and drivetrain part has been replaced or refurbished.
Will break in clutch, drivetrain, and engine on existing E3 16g setup I have before moving onto a turbo to reach my goals, most realistically a FP black Or HX40 in a BEP housing. Opinions?

Freshen her up and go. Easy to check clearances with a mic and I also plasti-gauge for an extra check. Keep the rods and pistons, no need to do anything to them in my eyes. I also broke mine in on an HX40 at 33lbs and she is a good running car. I can give tips on what I WOULD do if you need and I build these. Threw a 6 bolt back together yesterday in 2 hours so I didn't loose any parts. It had a .10/.30 crank and I didn't want to try to make it put down 500hp on a crank cut that much on the rod throws so we went a different route.
Marty

Thanks, pretty much what I wanted to hear. I just didn't want to go as far as I've gone only to have egg on my face later, but the stuff is basically brand new.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back