The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2.3 stroker horsepower expectations

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Romeyo07

Probationary Member
Jan 27, 2005
Fort Myers, Florida
I've got a 97 eclipse gsx with a 2.3 stroker 6 bolt motor, 20g turbo, 3 inch downpipe and exhaust, injen intake, fmic and greddy bov. Everything else is stock. As of now, it is not tuned (waiting for the dsm link and wideband to come in). I was wondering what people think what kind of hp I can reach with this set up tuned.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. Feel free to delete.

Morons huh? Why are we the morons when the OP has been a member of the forums since January 2005 and hasn't caught on that bench racing is against the rules? I'm not calling him a moron nor you, but that is why I directed him to where his post might be appreciated a little more than in the stroker section.

In case you haven't caught on yet Romeyo07, no one can tell you how much power your setup will make. It's all hypothetical BS, which is against the rules of every single dsm forum that I know of. Not to mention, it gets you no where. If your truly curious about what a nicely supported 20g setup can bring, than you should have looked for other peoples setups for an idea. After all, 20g setups have been around for 10 years or so now. Your setup could make between 40 hp to 500. Does that narrow it down for you?

FWIW, I would rather direct him to a bench racing thread than to report him, so that he could catch on to his mistake on his own.

Numbers speak louder than speculation and if you are condoning bench racing Punny, by all means do so at your own risk. As far as the name calling, I would expect a member such as yourself to be a little more mature than that. Was I a smart ass? Yes, but for good reason and if he had asked a reasonable question, he would have gotten a reasonable response.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/tuning-engine-management/70742-please-look-tdo6h-20g-dyno-run.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/bolt-tech/161670-differences-between-td05-20g-td06-20g.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dyno-talk/216271-20g-dyno-depressing.html

There are plenty more out there. You just have to look around. Also by looking through member's profiles you can easily find out what setups are better than others. A 20g can flow 47 lb/min but it is purely up to the owner to support it and push it to the limits to get a max effort setup.

Last edited:
Numbers speak louder than speculation and if you are condoning bench racing Punny, by all means do so at your own risk. As far as the name calling, I would expect a member such as yourself to be a little more mature than that. Was I a smart ass? Yes, but for good reason and if he had asked a reasonable question, he would have gotten a reasonable response.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/tuning-engine-management/70742-please-look-tdo6h-20g-dyno-run.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/bolt-tech/161670-differences-between-td05-20g-td06-20g.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dyno-talk/216271-20g-dyno-depressing.html

There are plenty more out there. You just have to look around. Also by looking through member's profiles you can easily find out what setups are better than others. A 20g can flow 47 lb/min but it is purely up to the owner to support it and push it to the limits to get a max effort setup.

First off you turd, it's Phunny not punny :banghead:. Just kidding about the "turd" part :D. Anyway, I'm trying to say we need to help these new guys along. I completely understand that it gets frustrating to see the same posts time and time again but believe me you'll miss the new guys and their newb questions. Each person we push away is one more person we lose. And we lose their car also. Since these things haven't been made an at least 12 years we need to teach others how to care and keep these things nice or what are we gonna buy?

This is why I go the extra step and try and figure out what they are asking and answer that question to the best of my ability, and if I can't help I don't throw some retarded comment out there.

And there is no reason to be a smart@$$ on here when someone is asking a simple question. He wasn't being a di#$weed or anything of the sorts.

First off you turd, it's Phunny not punny :banghead:. Just kidding about the "turd" part :D. Anyway, I'm trying to say we need to help these new guys along. I completely understand that it gets frustrating to see the same posts time and time again but believe me you'll miss the new guys and their newb questions. Each person we push away is one more person we lose. And we lose their car also. Since these things haven't been made an at least 12 years we need to teach others how to care and keep these things nice or what are we gonna buy?

This is why I go the extra step and try and figure out what they are asking and answer that question to the best of my ability, and if I can't help I don't throw some retarded comment out there.

And there is no reason to be a smart@$$ on here when someone is asking a simple question. He wasn't being a di#$weed or anything of the sorts.

I agree! I hate to see new people ran off for asking questions we all at one point had also!!!! Kudos Phunny!

Was I a smart ass? Yes, but for good reason and if he had asked a reasonable question, he would have gotten a reasonable response.
Actually, on our site, there is no "good" reason to be a smart ass, unless you're in the Hangout and everyone is playing the same game. We don't allow smart ass replies in our Tech forums, as is stated on every single Reply form on our site. Maybe that BS flies on other DSM forums, but not here. If the question is "unreasonable" in your opinion, don't waste your time and others' by replying with a smart ass message. Report it if necessary and move on. If you don't feel it warrants a helpful reply, allow others to reply with helpful info if they wish.

I've been seeing this trend more and more on our site and I'm telling you right now, we will simply not stand for it. This isn't a frat house, and hazing isn't acceptable behavior around here. Is this a noob question? Yes. But it doesn't give anyone the right to be an asshole with their reply. Educate the person asking the question without snide remarks or you'll be asked to leave.

Is this a noob question? Yes. But it doesn't give anyone the right to be an asshole with their reply. Educate the person asking the question without snide remarks or you'll be asked to leave.

Again, i sound repetitive but exactly! I would like our image to be of a helpful group of informative fellow dsm'ers. Not of a group off asses who will flame the first mislead question with rude snotty comments. Let all try to be helpful! I can even think how many times i have answered a "cylinder 1 and 4 don't fire" thread. Of course they could "search" but damn. I remember when i was new and had problems and all these amazing member of this forum helped me so much. When all other forums let me down! I just want to return the favor! I take pride knowing that i helped a fellow guy out. Even if hes 16 and knows nothing, or 20 and think he has 600 hp! Whatever they need! Lets be there! *music playing in background!

Again, i sound repetitive but exactly! I would like our image to be of a helpful group of informative fellow dsm'ers. Not of a group off asses who will flame the first mislead question with rude snotty comments. Let all try to be helpful! I can even think how many times i have answered a "cylinder 1 and 4 don't fire" thread. Of course they could "search" but damn. I remember when i was new and had problems and all these amazing member of this forum helped me so much. When all other forums let me down! I just want to return the favor! I take pride knowing that i helped a fellow guy out. Even if hes 16 and knows nothing, or 20 and think he has 600 hp! Whatever they need! Lets be there! *music playing in background!

Agreed. I'm still going to stick with my "little man" syndrome. Guys that get smacked/bullied around in life come on here and take out their anger on others...

OP any update on the build?

I've been a member for years but really just browsed and didn't participate. I sold my last dsm project and didn't utilize the site much.

I completely understand that you can't get exact numbers. I do know, however, that others can give me an idea what I'm looking at (ball park avg.) based on other people's set up. Really it's just for the sake of having an idea where I may stand....nothing else. This is my first time working with a stroker. I really don't know what to expect.

As for fuel, I just picked up evo injectors from a buddy of mine and a walbro 255. Those will be going in shortly. Boost controller came in and is installed. Hoping to order the dsm link on Thursday / Friday.

To those that weren't helpful...no worries. I can't say I haven't done the same elsewhere (well, maybe not as bad). To those that were, I appreciate your help.

Been doing a video log of my progress. Here's the first two videos of me rambling.

YouTube - 97 2.3 stroker 4g63 awd eclipse gsx
YouTube - 97 2.3 Stroker 4g63 awd eclipse gsx

For some history, I bought this car about a month ago from a guy who bought it as it sits. It originally had no windshield, no exhaust, massive oil leak, coolant leak, f'd power steering, duct tape all over it, greasy...well you get the picture.

Last edited:
I've been a member for years but really just browsed and didn't participate. I sold my last dsm project and didn't utilize the site much.

I completely understand that you can't get exact numbers. I do know, however, that others can give me an idea what I could expect (ball park avg.). Really it's just for the sake of having an idea where I may stand....nothing else.

As for fuel, I just picked up evo injectors from a buddy of mine and a walbro 255. Those will be going in shortly.

To those that weren't helpful...no worries. I can't say I haven't done the same elsewhere (well, maybe not as bad). To those that were, I appreciate your help.

You get an FPR also?

Agreed, I dont know why youde wanna go with the knock off haha but go with the greddy for sure! And although this is bench racing... with a little bit of searching you would have found that your car can make up to a good 400hp. The same as a non stroked car, but the difference is your turbo will spool up alooot faster.

Ah man, I think yellow is the most pretentious color for a car. I'm going all black for sure.

I did search around and saw these numbers but didn't see what was involved to get it there. None the less, I appreciate the info.

Next on my plate, figure out why it decided to no longer start for me. She cranks and that's about it.

Ahhh man gotta be putting down the yellow dsm's huh..LOL JK..

Do you know who built the engine?Was it a local machine shop or one of our supporting vendors or perhapps the previous owner..That could help out figuring out what kind of power you are going to expect..

Oh man I've been trying to find out who built this piece of sh...my baby. The guy I bought it from tried getting a hold of the guy who built it (the owner before him). Ends up he's a college kid or something and is now MIA. That's why in the first video I said "it's a 2.3 stroker...and the rest is a f'n mystery".

Well him going Mia on you and not knowing who built the engine really prohibits giving you a number..But like many have stated before..You should be able to get 400 pretty easily..The only thing I would suggest is getting larger than evo injectors, unless you trying to keep the cost as low as possible..

Right now it needs to get on the road. My daily driver is a Navigator. As soon as it's on the road, that pig of an SUV is going in the garage. The money I save in gas will go towards other upgrades i'd like.

I'm pretty sure I have stock injectors in there now. For now, $100 for my buddy's old evo injectors will have to work.

Well a hundred bux is better than 300 or so for large injectors..But the evo 550,560 injectors can only go so far hp wise..I'm guessing you will max them out really quickly with a stroker setup..

Yeah I figure they'll work since I know the stock injectors are in there now.

The guy built or had someone buld a stroker but he neglected to get injectors, and left you to upgrade the fuel system..Thats bad karma..

No joke. If you have to have it on the road now then I guess try and piece it back together. If it where me I'd pull the engine and tear it down and see what you got. If not I can see nightmares in your future you can't even imagine :coy:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back