The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 1st gear problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitsumike0

Proven Member
Oct 13, 2013
Passaic, New_Jersey
Alright I'm tired of speculating what this problem maybe so I'm resorting to the experts on this board. Car is 97 gsx, short throw shifter and the previous owner said the transmission was rebuilt by shep. Here is my problem. When I'm stopped going into 1st, I really cant feel the gate. So I'm starting to grind 1st a bit because I'm having trouble. The shifter goes into every other gear perfectly and I feel the gate of each gear except 1st. Clutch is fully depressed when doing this. It almost feels as if I'm never fully in 1st and that's why I keep grinding. Once I find 1st( after playing around with the shifter for a bit) it goes in and has never popped out of first. If I hear grinding, I depress the clutch take it out of 1st and put it back. Usually this works. Shifting into 1st has a mushy feel to it (in the shifter) , not positive like the other gates. I don't want to ruin my tranny, does anybody know where I should look first?

If any gear is grinding with clutch fully depressed I would suspect either synchros or a dragging clutch. Dragging clutch might exhibit grinding in any gear, not just one. Shep built or not you may have problems with 1st gear synchros. Only way to know for sure is disasembly. I'd test for clutch drag. You might also make the synchros job easier by shifting into another gear then going to first. If that stops the problem I would suspect synchros as what you just did is stop all the motion of the trans (while stopped). If you're in a gear and clutch in nothing in the trans is moving. When you then select first (or whatever other gear) the synchros do little to no work.

Extremely useful information Pauley. Thank you, I will try that later. If the synchros are bad, should I do a total rebuild, or just change what's no good? If anyone else has any thoughts, please chime in!

Nobody on this board could tell you what to do. You would have to look at what is bad and what isn't. That being said have I gone into a trans and replaced only synchros? Yes. I am comfortable with this solution. Others may not be and the labor involved is large. Sometimes it's cost effective to go ahead and replace a bearing or two while you're in there as they generally have to come off anyway. Depends on the problem.

A shop will telll you need to replace whats bad, i had tre rebuild a couple of mine jon is very thorough so fix whats wrong while your there.

Before pulling tranny check for a couple simple things:
1) Are shifter cables casings clamped in place to not move at tranny end (bracket bolts work loose)? Watch casings while someone shifts.
2) Is there excessive play at shift levers due to a worn select lever shoe (http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/97-gs-t-fifth-gear-grinding-help.376341/#post-152266167)? Watch while someone shifts.
3) Is problem still there while stopped and you wait 5 seconds for input shaft to completely spin down after pressing clutch?
4) Syncro test: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/2g...d-second-gear-problems.406668/#post-152697045

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back