The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1GB Talon TSI 16G, on methanol

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo23

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 25, 2005
Shelbyville, Michigan
Had a 91 tsi awd 5 speed that was my dd, had some issues launching the car, and breaking axles (3 bolt). car had started to show signs of rust, and i was constantly have issues with the clutch/pedal assembly. altough im pretty sure i had the pedal assembly issues fixed, i decided to pull the engine and build a more drag race deigned car rather than a dd. I happen to have had a 93 tsi AWD Auto (4 bolt) car sitting around that was from texas (rust free). I had bought the car a couple years back, not running, but came with 2 engines and a trans. So, I pulled the engine from my 91 and started building the 93. The 91 had gone 12.06 @ 120mph on 111 race gas with a 2.16 60ft. Also made 377 whp on 93oct fuel. never dynoed on 111 :( here is the engine combo with pics I manage my fathers performance engine/body shop, and i have done all the work to both the engine and the car myself.

Engine now:

stock 6 bolt short block (rebuilt w/ arp rod bolts and .040 over)
Picture121.jpg

custom crank case evac setup
IMG00080.jpg

IMG00082.jpg

IMG00069.jpg

Cylinderhead;
Ferrea 1mm over int/ext valves
3 angle valve job with custom throat diameter and angle designed by dad and I.
hours of port work :)
My own spring combo (similar to kiggy's setup)
3g lifters
Comp 101200 camshafts

IMG00012.jpg

IMG00039.jpg

IMG00033.jpg

IMG00011.jpg

IMG00008.jpg

IMG00018.jpg

Also using a Hawver intake manifold, fidenza cam gears and a bit of little odds and ends.

IMG00137.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG00139.jpg
[/IMG]

I'll post up pics of the car tommorow :)

here is the car when i started

IMG00149.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG00156.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG00158.jpg
[/IMG]

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDMuanBn.jpg
[/IMG]

painted the engine bay, I should mention that before i painted the engine bay i cahnge all the front control arm bushings, new pads and rotors on all 4 corners, put my agx/eibach suspension on as well. The suspension springs will be changed later, but for now they'll work.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDIuanBn.jpg
[/IMG]

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNjMuanBn.jpg
[/IMG]

Before I installed the engine i pulled the trans apart and welded the center diff, ill have to remove the valvebody again to install a shift kit, and make some other modifications.

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMjcuanBn.jpg
[/IMG]

start to gut the rear of the car

utf-8BSU1HMDAxNTYuanBn.jpg
[/IMG]

utf-8BSU1HMDAxODkuanBn-1.jpg
[/IMG]

also removed all the sound deadening from the floor, but i dont have any pics of that process. Used good ol dry ice and a hammer. After that was done, I started building the cage, just an 8 point for now, dont think itll go faster than 9.99 with the 16g, but u never know :)

chromolly cage pics

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMDkuanBn.jpg
[/IMG]

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMTcuanBn.jpg
[/IMG]

before i put the door bars in i painted the floor (truck bedliner) and finished all the wiring for the shift light, oil psi light, dynatek arc II, innovate lc-1 and xd-16, along with all the other guages and wiring for trans, water injection bypass, and brake vacume pump bypass. Also mounted the quick diconnect wheel and the shifter, also ran the cable for it.

utf-8BSU1HMDAyNTkuanBn.jpg
[/IMG]

utf-8BSU1HMDAxNDAuanBn.jpg
[/IMG]

now i installed the door bars

utf-8BSU1HMDAyNzEuanBn.jpg
[/IMG]

At this point I installed the 16 gallon fuel cell

utf-8BSU1HMDAyNzcuanBn.jpg
[/IMG]

utf-8BSU1HMDAyODcuanBn.jpg
[/IMG]

utf-8BSU1HMDAyODguanBn.jpg
[/IMG]

now thats finished, i painted the floor black, and the sides inside the car white.

utf-8BSU1HMDAyOTQuanBn.jpg
[/IMG]

utf-8BSU1HMDAyOTYuanBn.jpg
[/IMG]

utf-8BSU1HMDAyOTguanBn.jpg
[/IMG]

thought fuel door looked neat

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMTAuanBn.jpg
[/IMG]

Then i installed the seats and harnesses

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMDYuanBn.jpg
[/IMG]

While this was going on i purchased some of the fuel system stuff

Magna Fuel pump and Aeromtive regulator
utf-8BSU1HMDAzNzcuanBn.jpg
[/IMG]

Magnus fuel rail

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMTMuanBn.jpg
[/IMG]

Next is pics of the radiator/trans/oil cooler mount, and the start of the header.

good stuff, what did you do with the shortblock? stock rebuild or you went forged? also what are you gonna use to tune it?

short block is rebuilt with stock stuff except for arp rod bolts, and balance work. I plan to build another short either over the summer or next winter, probably an eagle rod and custom piston of some sort, probably ross. Car has ecmlink V3, SD setup.

At this point i wanted to free up some room to build my forward facing header. I also wanted to be able to close off the frontend completely for aerodynamic improvements. Doing this in a drag only car is not an issue, but being able to street drive it with the front closed off created somewhat of an cooling issue. I had run a "bottom feeder" style radiator/ductwork setup before, first in my outlaw latemodel, then in a few of my customer's road race cars, with great success. I decided this would provide me with the room i wanted for the header/turbo setup, and would allow the car to stay cool crusing around town. Plus being run on methanol would obviously help greatly. At this point i haven't come up with a good way to close the frontend off, and i also havn't come up with the ductwork yet. here are some pics.

oil/trans coolers
utf-8BSU1HMDAzNDcuanBn.jpg

Rad mount
utf-8BSU1HMDAzNTMuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAzNTUuanBn.jpg

After that was finished i built a catch can for the evac system. The catch can is baffled below and above the fittings, has a filter material under the breather tube, and the breather tube is also baffled.

utf-8BSU1HMDAzNTkuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAzNjAuanBn.jpg

nice you gonna run 93+ methanol or straight meth?

thanks, and i'll be running straight meth, no intercooler.

it took me awhile tu find a turbo location that i tought would work the best for exhaust exit, air let, and header design. After i found a location i was happy with i started building here are some pics

Muffler
utf-8BSU1HMDA0MDMuanBn.jpg

Exhaust outlet
utf-8BSU1HMDA0MDcuanBn.jpg

Header flange. I wasnt happy with the immediate change from oval to round that was designed into the flange. I cut the flange slightly larger than the port opening. I then made 4 transistion peices that allowed for a slower transistion from oval to round. Header is made from 1 5/8s .049 (18 gauge) 304 stainless.

Flange
utf-8BSU1HMDAzOTEuanBn.jpg

Tubes 1 & 4, The collector will be a 4-2-1 style ending in 1 5/8s, then i'll make a transistion from 1 5/8s to the inlet diameter of the 16g, which in my case is around 2 1/2".

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MzAuanBn.jpg

All tubes
utf-8BSU1HMDA0MzMuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MzIuanBn.jpg

Here is a shot from the front of the car which shows the turbo placement. You'll have to excuse the mess, spilled some oil when i removed the oil drain from the pan.. the reast of it is just a mess that i havent cleaned up.

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MzkuanBn.jpg

This is the current state of the project, hopefully i'll have some more progress to show in the next few days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good Tyler. Damn good progress.
-John

Finally got around to finishing up the new header. still lots to do...

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo-3.jpg

photo-4.jpg

photo-5.jpg

photo-6.jpg

photo-7.jpg

next thing on the list is to finish up the exhaust and charge pipes..

That must be the most extreme 16g build ever! Very nice!

update: i've got the header,exhaust, and hard pipes finished. currently working on the shifter linkage. also got the trans, and oil coolers plumbed, still have to finish up there mounts though.

photo-8.jpg

well, ready for the first dive and it started raining.. tommorow i hope!.. anyway here are a few pics.

photo-17.jpg

photo-16.jpg

photo-14.jpg

photo-13.jpg

photo-12.jpg

photo-15.jpg

and a little idle vid

th_IMG_0271.jpg

hopefully tomorrow i'll take it for a ride and make sure everything is ready to rock before i start tuning.. of course its been the driest summer in a long time, and now its calling for rain for the next 3 days..

thanks man! in the pics there is no support, but since its raining still (figures). i'll make a support this morning along with a few other things i have to do..

Everything is looking awesome and sounds great too! The turbo placement and intake/exhaust on the turbo is a work of art.:thumb: Love the muffler incorporated into the side exit.:cool:

Holy crap, 126 on a 16g! Very nice!

What was your E.T.?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back