1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1g Rusted Shaft In Hub

Posted by triggerx, Dec 21, 2013

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing
  1. triggerx

triggerx Proven Member

Joined Aug 15, 2009
    Gilbert, Arizona
    So Ive got this wheel hub thats shaft is rusted in the hub.
    However its already removed from the car, but most importantly, as far as I know the wheel bearing in it is still pretty good.

Ive done my research on multiple ways of taking it out, but what way will be the safest to remove it without damaging the wheel bearing?

I already know that my best bet is going to be just replace the wheel bearing, but im looking for a temporary fix. This is just to buy me some time so I can take my original hub and have the bearings properly taken care of.

So I was thinking spray it down with pb blast and wd 40, let it soak for a 2 days and take it to a shop to have it pressed out?

Or use the axle nut on the shaft and take a sledge to that in combination with wd40/pb?

2. triggerx

triggerx Proven Member

Joined Aug 15, 2009
    Gilbert, Arizona
    I've priced it around, having someone else do it would be a total rip off. Most shops wanted upwards of 300$ ,
    And to do it myself and do it right, meaning replacement of both inner and outer seals, bearing, and retaining clip was at least 100$ for the parts alone. Plus I'd have to pay a shop to press it in. Probably looking at about 150$ when everything's said and done.

Which honestly isn't too bad, but for now I have an extra hub that I could use as a temp fix, I only need this bearing to last me a month so I can get my original hub rebuilt properly

3. bryanwheat

bryanwheat DSM Wiseman

Joined Aug 16, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri
    So you just need to press the axle shaft from the hub. Of you press of properly than if won't effect the bearing. I would first try to just beat it out with a big hammer if you have not yet.

4. iugrad92turbo

iugrad92turbo Supporting Member

Joined May 22, 2007
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    That's a lot of money I got me a bearing and had it pressed in for under 100 bucks here, I never used a oem bearing didn't need to I had several dsms and used autostore ones they work fine, unless I hit a curb once. Replace the whole assembly.

7K  5

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  5. triggerx

triggerx Proven Member

Joined Aug 15, 2009
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Ok cool, thats exactly what I wanted to know.
    I just didnt want to start pounding on this thing if there was a chance it would mess with the bearings. If a press is the safest way to take it out first, Imma try that.
    My biggest fear is hammering this thing to death, and be stuck with what I had originally. Im only try to ride on this thing for a month.

Yea, thats true, I could pick up a timken, but I figured if i had planned on ordering the seals online I might as well just get an OEM Bearing as well. Plus machine shops seem expensive out here in AZ

6. bryanwheat

bryanwheat DSM Wiseman

Joined Aug 16, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri
    I would to worry about the bearing until you get it apart and verify that it isn't damaged. No reason to be replacing things that aren't damaged. As for the axle just beat the hell out of the axle with a 6 lb sledge. It will likely come right apart. 1gs very rarely rust into the hub to the extent of needing to be pressed.