The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Wheel hub/axle rusted together..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spac3y

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 18, 2003
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I'm getting ready to pull the motor out of my car and the drivers side hub is rusted solid to the axle. I've soaked it in PB for 2 days now and It still hasn't budged. I've tried hammering it, a hub puller, and I broke my 1/2" pry bar :mad: Can I pull the motor without removing this axle? OR...could I remove the axle from the transmission without taking it out of the hub? I'm going nuts cause this is the last thing I have to do before pulling my engine:cry:

I had a similar problem once with my 94 Intrepid....using long-handled plieers, I held a brass punch thicker than a RR nail on the shaft, and he swung with all his might with a 5 lb slegde. No go. It was practically welded in there.

He took it to work (yes we had to take off the whole @#$% hub assembly) and put it on a hydraulic hammer press, I think it took several thousand lbs before it finally broke loose. Scared the shit out of him.

Good luck.

Yes, the half shafts do come out of the tranny. you don't need to remove the hub. Just pop off the tie rod end and ball joint then the strut, brake and hub assy with the axel still in it should swing far enough to dissengage from the tranny

G/L

:laser:

had this same problem when i did the clutch, snapped 2 ratchets before i went to autozone and rented a 3 jaw puller... came off after a tough fight, then i sawed new groves in the axles and cleaned up the rust

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back