The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

General 1G having problems...seems to be maft

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talon_boy69

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2002
well,since I have a maft I've been having some problems, I'll try to explain it the short way. I can't get past around 18 psi, at that psi, it runs fine with little or no knock, with the wot knob at 0. A couple of more psi and it will knock, and egts will get over 820 C.

Problem is if i add just one more click, the car will bog and/or hesitate in low gears like 1st and 2nd, and at high gears will run almost fine. I've observed that my car doesn't smokes black when it is rich, it just does that bogging thing.

I have tried many spark plugs, many gaps, coils, a stock ecu, since I have an EPROM one with a keydiver chip. I have tried tweaking with the rpm mode, since it is more fine tuning, I changed the injectors, I checked if my fuel pressure was dropping, it wasn't. well, just about anything, only thing left are the CAS, the maft, and also the spark plug wires, they are like 3 months old, msd ones and haven't tried another set but the cables are measuring between 100 to 125 ohm, so they should be fine.

Well, I really don't know what more to do, probably the CAS.

If you have any suggestion ill be glad to hear it :) here's my setup. the car is a 1g awd

-stock shortblock with 2g pistons
-scm 61
-walbro 255 and 720
-maft with keydiver eprom
-GRIFFIN 26x7x2.75 fmic
-full 3 inch exhaust

almost forgot, my base timing is at 5 degrees. I wanted to put the safc just to log the hz, since the logger only gets up to 1606hz, to see if there was something strange there, but haven't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well lots of similar threads to yours.I have similar deal.Have 50 trim agp rs49 and 650s,supra pump,afpr and maft with new 2.01 chip.I have exactly same deal.I try to run say 15 psi and I get big knock or richen it a click or two and then get the bad spuittering thing also.Lean it down no sputter but then the knock.I have stock intercooler you have big one.I tried lowering timing but dont seem to work very good.
I think all I can run right now is 10psi with stock intercooler.Maybe 18 is your limit on pump gas.I assume you are on pump gas..?

Some say if you raise fuel pressure you will have a bit more play room.I haven't tried that yet.Also I am installing a new eprom ecu and chipped to my 650s some say that works better also than adjusting on maft or safc.

Something I am seriously considering is water injection system.They seem to cure most knock problems except for the phantom ones.Just not sure if will get one before or after bigger intercooler.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back