1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G DSM 4 Bolt Rear Tubular Subframes, Control Arms and Trailing Arms

Posted by NatFabLLC, Apr 24, 2020

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. NatFabLLC

NatFabLLC Freelancer

Joined Feb 27, 2020
    Elmer, New Jersey
    Good evening. I would like to share with DSMTuners community a product I have been working on for the past few months and something I had shared across a few other social media outlets. What began out of necessity for my own project, an AWD 4G63 swap for 3G CSM, has grown into something that can support the 1G DSM guys as well. I am referring to the 4 bolt rear tubular subframe and accompanying tubular control arms. The goal had been to improve the factory offering in terms of performance with something lighter, stronger and adjustable, all qualities desirable in an aftermarket high performance driving focus. To date some of the only options 1G guys had were solid subframe bushings or tubular mustache bars. For my Colt project I wanted to start with the lightest option I could while still retaining factory compatible parts, such as rear differential, hubs and coilover suspension.

001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 006.jpg

The end result after significant design and redesign, trial and test fittings, is something I am proud to offer to the DSM community. I have configured the subframe such that it will require aftermarket control arms that utilize spherical rod ends along with most common available active toe eliminator kits for trailing arms. These frames still use the stock sway bar location, bushings and mounts and are offered with or without for more weight savings. In terms of weight savings this design saves 20 LBS over stock subframe and mustache bar (43 LBS). For more information or any questions feel free to send over a PM. I will be sharing more updates with DSM community as more products are rolled out in coming weeks and months. Thank you.

007.jpg 008.jpg 009.jpg 010.jpg

196  3

1989 Dodge Colt
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles
  2. DsmKhan

DsmKhan Proven Member

Joined Dec 3, 2017
    East Hartford, Connecticut
    Any plans for the 2g

Street Build 539  20

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    Talon96fwd likes this.
  3. Talon96fwd

Talon96fwd Proven Member

Joined Apr 11, 2011
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Agreed!!! Anything for us 2gs?

1K  0

1996 Eagle Talon TSi
    14.184 @ 104.365 · 2G DSM
  4. 93xsg

93xsg Proven Member

Joined Jul 3, 2011
    Sequim, Washington
    Thats sweet! Whats the price range on these?? Only seen tubular rears for the 2gs so this is awesome man

Drag Race Build 607  15

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  5. adam4g

adam4g Probationary Member

Joined Oct 9, 2014
    Carney's Point, New Jersey
    Bump for a great guy and talented fabricator! Very exciting to see new life being breathed into the platform. Looking forward to getting his parts on my 1g when the time comes.

NatFabLLC likes this.
  6. GPLaserRS

GPLaserRS Proven Member

Joined Aug 23, 2005
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I’m interested too, what’s gonna be the price for this beauty?

Street Build 821  4

1992 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
    Jonathan Rice likes this.
  7. NatFabLLC

NatFabLLC Freelancer

Joined Feb 27, 2020
    Elmer, New Jersey
    Good evening. Not at this time. Focus will primarily be on the 1G platform. Not saying no to the 2G stuff indefinitely but for now this is keeping me occupied. Thanks and I'll be sure to share any future updates on forum.

196  3

1989 Dodge Colt
  8. nukefission

nukefission Proven Member

Joined Feb 4, 2002
    Woodbridge, Virginia
    Looks great. I'm interested.

NatFabLLC likes this.
  9. NatFabLLC

NatFabLLC Freelancer

Joined Feb 27, 2020
    Elmer, New Jersey
    Hello again to the DSM community. Continuing with my AWD conversion my attention was now turned to more weight savings and another product development I have been working on I would like to share is a modified version of the 1G trailing arm. To date the only viable modification offered was the active toe elimination kit, comprised of solid bushing and threaded spherical rod end. This provided a solution to the desperately needed problem of car experiences excessive toe under hard driving and launching conditions. But it was still a very heavy stock component and offered little room for a larger wheel and tire combination. Building off this idea I started off on first jigging the stock trailing arm and then replacing body and factory rubber bushing end with lighter, stronger tube adjustable rod end. This provides weight savings and additional clearance around inside of wheel that some are after.
    0418202041c_HDR.jpg 0422202143_HDR.jpg 0513202126a_HDR.jpg 0429202050b_HDR.jpg

This version saves approximately 5 lbs per side of unsprung weight compared to factory set up. I am also working on incorporating trailing arm with sway bar mount so as to provide option for those moving to tubular control arms. Thanks for interest thus far and stay tuned for additional product offerings. #savetheDSM
    0513202126_HDR.jpg 0502201352_HDR.jpg

196  3

1989 Dodge Colt
  10. Clarke G

Clarke G Probationary Member

Joined May 26, 2020
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Looks like some really nice work. Curious to see what the price point is.

11. NatFabLLC

NatFabLLC Freelancer

Joined Feb 27, 2020
    Elmer, New Jersey
    Some August updates from last of 4 bolt batch and modified trailing arms. Next up is the 3000GT diff.
    011.jpg 012.jpg 013.jpg

196  3

1989 Dodge Colt
    Wickedlyboosted1g, donk and talon77 like this.
  12. rEclipserGST

rEclipserGST Supporting Member

Joined Nov 17, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Some stuff from 1g will fit galant vr4. Is that the case here as well?

Street Build 953  25

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    187 whp · 200 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  13. Scott Cooper

Scott Cooper Proven Member

Joined Aug 14, 2016
    Killeen, Texas
    bump! Extremely interested in the subframe, trailing arms and control arms, will I still be able to use aftermarket sway bars with this kit? Definitely in for any subframe group or solo buys to Savannah, GA!

14. Joshua Tadich

Joshua Tadich Proven Member

Joined Jul 15, 2018
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I need this in my life. Stupid buying a house and feeding the kids always getting in the way.

Street Build 491  5

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    Vegas Smith likes this.