The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1g 6bolt rods in 7bolt engine ? possible ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawid4444

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 16, 2009
Chicago, Illinois
hey guys

i need your help

im doing short block build and i have to know if i can put 1g 6bolt rods with some Forged pistons like Wiseco , JE or Ross Pistons IN 2g 7bolt block ?? is this passible ??

no compresion change ?

is the 6bolt rods are the same lengh as manley h beam or 2g 7bolt rods ?

ill be using 9.0:1 pistons

thank you guys

Don't waste the time or money just look into a set of Eagle, Manley, or K1 and be done. It could be done but has to be machined PERFECT. Just off a little bit could and probably will destroy your crank and probably your block at the same time. If your on that much of a budget get stock EVO rods. In my opinion its not worth the time and money to end up with an expensive paper weight or garage furniture.

so they have to be machined ?

oh okay so im not doing it for sure .

im not on budget i have money but just dont want to spend a lot

and what about evo rods ?

are u talking bout evo III rods ??

are they stronger than 2g rods ?

I believe he is thinking evo 8 rods. You can usually find a used set of rods with pistons for 150 or so.

so are evo rods has the same lenght as 2g rods ?? no machined needed if i want to use them with some Forged pistons in my 7bolt ??

If you are getting forged pistons, just get a set of H-beam rods of your choice.

The 6bolt rods have to have the wrist pin holes opened up by 1mm to accept the 7 bolt pistons.
By the time you have the wrist pin holes machined, buy ARP rod bolts and have the rods re-sized, you will be close to the cost of a set of new Egale H beam rods.

Also the modded 6 bolt rods will still be a a press fit, where the H-beams will be a full floating set up.

ok ill just get the H-beam rods and forged pistons

what do you guys prefer ?

what rods ? and what pistons ?

it will be my dd and around 400 hp
i want 9.0:1 pistons

Any forged rod/piston will work for your power goals. Eagle/wiseco is a common combination.

^^^^ This

Check with the supporting vendors and see what package deal they have.

ExtreamPSI, JNZ, and SIM would be good ones to check with

I paid $680 for my Eagle/Wiseco combo from Map about 2 years ago.

I think he ment machining the big end to fit the 7 bolt crank.

Ahhh how so? from my info no maching should be required for the big end.

Info from Clevite engine bearing catalog
2003 2-200-3

Page 466 block 10
Rod bearing Part # CB1120P (to 3/92)

Std Shaft 1.7710/1.7717
Housing bore 1.8897/1.8905
Max wall .0588
length .925

Rod bearing Part# CB1643P (From 4/92)

Std Shaft 1.7710/1.7717
Housing bore 1.8897/1.8905
Max wall .0588
length .810

This info is correct ^^^^^

If you measure the big end width, you will find out the 6 bolt measures 1.038 and the 7 bolt is 1.039 So with me finding .001 diffreance, I doubt there is any machining to do.

This info is NOT correct, I will be updating with new info^^

Last edited:
So your saying a 6 bolt rod will fit a 7 bolt crank with no problem?

So your saying a 6 bolt rod will fit a 7 bolt crank with no problem?

Yes I am, unless the info I have in front of me is not correct.

But by the math, it looks like it should.

That is absolutely not true what so ever. The 1g rod will NOT fit onto a 2g crank. Trust me, I learned the hard way. Wound up spending as much to machine the rods to fit a 2g crank as i would have for a set of eagles. Its a good bit thicker on the big end AND the bearings are not the same width. Unfortunately i do not have any pictures to prove this. Prior to that build i was told the 1g rods are compatible with the 2g crank. Im sorry to say it is very very very very far from the truth. It sucks when youre mislead for so many years and you COUNT on the information being accurate. Not bashing you SVO so dont take it that way. I know youre one of the go to guys on this site so i know yo know your shit.

SVO. Do you think those specs are for the 7bolt 1g engine and the 2g 7 bolt?

Can you use stock 2g pistons with full floating forged 7 bolt rods?

Last edited:
hey shadow21, Than if that may be the case as you say. The 1g 7 bolt rods are the same on the big end just like the 2g 7bolt rods, couldn't we use the 1g 7 bolt rods if there beefier like the 1g 6bolt rods on a 2g 7bolt build as a cheap upgrade for the weaker 95-99 rods? Just an idea, you know if when can get the beefier rods to fit on the 2g crank with no machine work that could be another option for the budget minded guys =)

hey shadow21, Than if that may be the case as you say. The 1g 7 bolt rods are the same on the big end just like the 2g 7bolt rods, couldn't we use the 1g 7 bolt rods if there beefier like the 1g 6bolt rods on a 2g 7bolt build as a cheap upgrade for the weaker 95-99 rods? Just an idea, you know if when can get the beefier rods to fit on the 2g crank with no machine work that could be another option for the budget minded guys =)

Well the problem with that is they are skinny rods just like the 7bolt 2g motor. When you see a set of 1g "big rods" that is a set of 6 bolt rods.:thumb:

thanks Black91AWDturbo for clearing that up. I always thought that since they were 1g rods they may be beefier than the 2g but have the same measurements. Who says you don't learn something new!=)LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back