The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

1998 Gst restoration

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I swapped around relays and got my radiator and condenser fan working,and then the battery died. Measured out amp draw on everything, and it was the alternator. Shorted out inside was drawing 3amps from the battery, for reference the interior lights being on was a 1 amp draw. 3rd autozone alternator now, when the replacement arrived it had a cracked case, so I had to swap the faces. Sigh

So it was working great, ac was ok, I decided to go all out and just replace the drier and vacuum down the system. So after that the AC blows snow balls

This is the exact reason I bought a used OEM alt and will just have it rebuilt when it goes. These cheap rebuilds can't hold up next to our exhausts. And I'm running blankets, heat coated, thermal wrap coated, and stock heat shield.

Do you have a link / part number to which thermostat your using?

This is the exact reason I bought a used OEM alt and will just have it rebuilt when it goes. These cheap rebuilds can't hold up next to our exhausts. And I'm running blankets, heat coated, thermal wrap coated, and stock heat shield.

Do you have a link / part number to which thermostat your using?

I've tried to build a few heat shields, but being so close to hitting the alternator power cable makes me uneasy, and having something rest on the housing unsecured means it could rattle. I haven't figured out a good solution. My eBay blanket fell apart after one use, so the next step would be to wrap the turbine housing with exhaust wrap and use steel zip ties to keep it in place

I'm using a lower than factory temp thermostat, I said 160, but I think it's more like 180 maybe even 195 but I'll double check

I've had it forsale for a while now, but now with all the major issues solved, and every little issue solved, it's a great daily driver. Ice cold ac, good manners and soft exhaust tone but loud when you're in boost. I'm keeping my price at $5k for it, even then I still think it's worth more. I have yet to see anything other than project car trash on the Facebook classifieds, and mine is literally the only second gen forsale in Texas.

So I'll just keep putting more miles on the old girl

20180526_000020.jpg

Dammit, I just realized you're exactly right. I got the car with a drain and replaced the alternator and battery at the same time and the drain went away. The 2 AutoZone replacements, one had a bad bearing, the other had stripped bolt holes, and the last one cooked like the original

Dammit, I just realized you're exactly right. I got the car with a drain and replaced the alternator and battery at the same time and the drain went away. The 2 AutoZone replacements, one had a bad bearing, the other had stripped bolt holes, and the last one cooked like the original

Its a bit hard to find but this is the blankets I use. The one on the manifold I only put on during race right now as its has started to lose its color.

https://turbo-performance-products.myshopify.com/

Here is the one for our baby turbos --- https://turbo-performance-products....-1/products/dsm-16g-18g-20g-fp-8cm-turbo-sock

Yeah my stock manifold heat shield does it's job, it retains the heat back to the gas inside to be expelled by exhaust flow. My main issue is that no one makes an 02 housing "sock" to cover that area between the steering pump, alternator, and dip stick.

Replaced every side skirt clip on the car yesterday. Individually they are $2 on extreme psi, I found an eBay seller offering a pack of 100 for $8 shipped. They are identical to oem

20180604_231142.jpg

Mirror fell off yesterday doh! Had to glue the button back on the windshield to hang the rearview mirror. Also put new light bulbs in the map lights

Debating taking the car on a 20 hour road trip to Michigan. I'll be doing some long commutes to test for any bugs or issues that may arise on a long road trip. With my super large trans cooler and extra cooling effeciency from the extra fan and custom shroud I don't think I'll have any issues.

20180620_204249.jpg
20180620_204151.jpg
20180618_200138.jpg

Eh it's still cycling the compressor a bit while I'm sitting in the car on lunch, so I've ordered a manifold blanket and another turbo blanket. Also went overkill on the heat wrap, I plan to wrap the hotside down to the flex pipe

I could half ass it and just make a cut above the intercooler for the condensor fan, but I haven't cut any corners yet so let's go with that theme. Also want to see if I can fit the factory heat sheild over the blanket. Want it to look factory

Also put on the eBay lip this week

Screenshot_20180629-211200_Chrome.jpg
20180628_181738.jpg

I mean it works fine, the tape on it says m3 not 3m, so I used self tapping screws every six inches or so to make sure that even if the adhesive fails the lip won't fall off.

It seemed to stick alright but with the Texas heat I could see the double sided tape failing first and it just falling off

It had about an extra 4 inches of lip left after install.

20180630_225958.jpg

Last edited:
Waxed up

Got the first t3 blanket today, waiting on the manifold blanket and then I will be wrapping the 02 housing and downpipe.

Ebay16g seems to be doing very well so far. It's just at 12psi but will definitely put you back in your seat in second and third gear

High temp was 103 today. Car is still my preferred daily driver

20180702_180644.jpg
20180702_180657.jpg
20180702_180707.jpg
20180702_182314.jpg

Last edited:
Oh man I totally forgot, I bought and sold 4 other Honda Civics in this time frame. I can do a mechanical overhaul on a d16 Honda Civic in under 8 hours, that's including removing the AC compressor and lines and expansion valves and blowing out the system, also water pump and timing belts. D16 is the cockroach of gasoline engines, by far the most ironhorse and fuel effecient motors (I did not say fast LOL)
Screenshot_20180430-123755.png
20160831_130726_zps864ezlkx.jpg
20161117_142940_zps2gkabhvh.jpg
20160716_171550_zpsgnyqds4q.jpg
20150722_183100_zpsdw8xjelw.jpg

That's a lot of Civics! LOL Love this build thread. You know I never really liked the 2ga, but for some reason seeing those pics of yours next to your 2gb made me love it. Maybe it's the clean white.

That's a lot of Civics! LOL Love this build thread. You know I never really liked the 2ga, but for some reason seeing those pics of yours next to your 2gb made me love it. Maybe it's the clean white.

It's just dsm herpes rubbing off on you. The 96 is sitting in my garage with the transmission under it

The trans went out at the same time as the steering rack, made my driveway look like a murder scene. And the new trans has a bad shift fork, I pulled it back out and promptly nearly lost a finger when the trans fell off the jack

20180509_163922.jpg

It's just dsm herpes rubbing off on you. The 96 is sitting in my garage with the transmission under it

The trans went out at the same time as the steering rack, made my driveway look like a murder scene. And the new trans has a bad shift fork, I pulled it back out and promptly nearly lost a finger when the trans fell off the jack

View attachment 545848
Must be. LOL Sucks about your car. Still looks pretty sittin' up there though. ;)

Over kill mode engaged

I used a reflective radiant barrier on the water pipe, and on the j-pipe and compressor side. I also modified the eBay t3 style blanket to wrap around the hot side and a bit of the O2 housing. Also used the radiant barrier on the dip stick tube to form a barrier to protect the alternator. And then to put the icing on the cake the manifold blanket covered by the factory manifold shield

Lol

20180705_222832.jpg
20180705_225220.jpg
20180705_230443.jpg
20180705_235942.jpg
20180706_002701.jpg
20180706_002838.jpg

Updated.

Saw the new owner a few times. The first time was for the turbo gasket to manifold. The eBay turbo bolts stretchted being under that turbo header blanket. It blew out the gasket and completely melted the condenser fan. Shockingly it also partially melted the radiator above the condensor fan use to mount. I got a new gasket and thread locker and we got rid of the manifold blanket and the issue has never come up again

Next issue:

New owner took it to a stereo shop and threw atleast $1200 down on a custom system with touch screen, long story short of course they burchered the shit out of the interior harness that I literally cut out of a junk yard car to wire everything correctly. So his heater and ac knobs In the center stack dont work

He had a new front bumper put on, the old one was decent enough in my opinion, but what the hell it did need new headlights. Of course he asked for hood pins and drilled into the radiator condenser. Oh and you know how I think bumper quick connects are cheesey, of course he had to have a set

So back to working on her again. Covered in stickers again. I think he actually took a few of them off because he knows how I hate them LOL

The rack and pinion took a dump. Probably the worst job on a dsm. Just terrible to do every part of the job

20181123_155258.jpg
20181123_155312_HDR.jpg
20181125_193108.jpg
20181125_194611.jpg
20181125_194716.jpg
20181125_194735.jpg
20181128_160240.jpg
20181128_173412.jpg
20181128_175141.jpg
20181128_184140.jpg
20181128_181630.jpg
20181204_172310.jpg

Last edited:
Fack man I really hate the rack setup in these cars. The racks should come pre-centered to make everything easier. My backyard alignments will let it drive straight but I can never line the splines up correctly to get the wheel centered.

Hes also paying me to wire in triple pillar gauges and the bezel gauges. 5 in total

I got the ac and vent controls working now, not sure why they stopped. The switch for the neon led underglow kit is tapped into the wrong line I think

20181205_124438.jpg
20181205_124433.jpg

She still looks good though

20181205_212951.jpg

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back