The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

1998 Eclipse GSX Automatic Problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitsubishiown

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 11, 2012
Davison, Michigan
Hey guys I literally just got home from driving an hour and a half to go pick up my 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX Automatic with 83,000 miles and I noticed that the voltage constantly goes up and down when driving depending on how high the rpms are. When I am slowing down and all the way stopped the A/T Temp, Brake, and battery light come on slightly. They are not super bright like when they are when you turn the key to the on position but they are lite up nontheless. And it kind of seems like it wants to die when you come to a stop in drive and I notice the voltage needle goes almost all the way down. The guy said he had the alternator changed not too long ago so I am not sure :/

If you have to buy a new alternator, I strongly suggest OEM.

I've tried Bosch from Pepboys, and other brands from AutoZone, but they all failed within weeks... One went up to 19 volts and was smoking... No oil on it, still looked brand new.

Been running a new OEM for 4 years since that whole mess..

If you have to buy a new alternator, I strongly suggest OEM.

I've tried Bosch from Pepboys, and other brands from AutoZone, but they all failed within weeks... One went up to 19 volts and was smoking... No oil on it, still looked brand new.

Been running a new OEM for 4 years since that whole mess..

Damn man nice!! I already bought a new alternator and installed it the lights coming on problem went away but my car is running like hell!

Going to test the ISC tomorrow and if that doesn't work not sure what to do next!

Going to test the alternator again tomorrow to see if it is working correctly. If not I will return it and get an oem one.

Depending on where you got it from, you may not be able to straight up return it. If its not functioning properly, it will probably be exchanged. For what its worth... Bought one from work (advance) not quite 2 years ago and she's still kicking. I honestly believe all the damn heat sitting next to it was killing it every other time.

Depending on where you got it from, you may not be able to straight up return it. If its not functioning properly, it will probably be exchanged. For what its worth... Bought one from work (advance) not quite 2 years ago and she's still kicking. I honestly believe all the damn heat sitting next to it was killing it every other time.

That's very posssible! Where can I get a heat shield for it and do you know where I can get a big 3 upgrade kit?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back