The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 1996 Eclipse ECM in a 1997?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jermo537

Probationary Member
Feb 13, 2019
Tempe, Arizona
A new newb has graced the DSM forums! (I'm a Honda/Acura guy) Picked up my first DSM from a neighbor that hasn't had it running in at least 5 years, the car turns over but does not run. It is a 1997 Eclipse 5spd 2.0L RS, so super basic. Did lots of reading and troubleshooting on the car, came down to it not having spark and me not being able to link up with the ECM via an OBD2 code reader. Found a cheap computer locally from a 1996 eclipse and tossed it in. When I crank it over now it actually tries to start but sputters out. So I am wondering if a 96 ECM will work in a 97? I've read quite a few threads where people are asking about newer ones working in older cars but not vice versa like my situation...

The old ECM that was in the car PN is 'P05293013AC' '0529' '3013AC' (Which i read is for an automatic?!?)

The new ECM I bought PN is 'P05269812' '0526' '9812'
BUT...there is a new sticker on the front of the new ECM that says:
"Software updated old pn 05269812, Chrysler PN 05269810 0526 9810"

PN 05269812 says it is for a 1996 Eclipse 2.0L so I figured it would work. I would just like to get confirmation the new ECM should work just fine and now I need to troubleshoot it sputtering (tune up, new gas and so on). Thanks fellas!

i checked and the later 96 ECU (2 plugs) has the same pinouts as the 97 ECU.

here are the part numbers for 96 and 97 420a cars.

-the red part numbers are the updated PN-
-the black part numbers are the original PN-

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

you can lookup the applicable mode codes HERE
but basically if it starts with "MH" its a 5MT
if it starts with "MR" its a 4AT

Last edited:
Wasn't entirely sure what to do with that information dusty but thanks for trying! I got it running today so a 96 ECM will def work in a 97

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back