The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1995 eagle talon tsi awd pulling the engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icet34

Probationary Member
Nov 9, 2009
grass lake, Michigan
is it possible to pull the engine without the tranny? manual says no. pretty much got it all torn apart anyway.... but manual also says that you put the engine in with the tranny already in the car....

building up my stock tsi awd... sucks its automatic... but i bought it for 800$ with 125k miles... just repairing some of the front left end, and pulleys, water pump, alternator....

is there anything i should look for when purchasing a new BOV??? most of what i looked at said "professional installation required" what do i have to do???:pray:

Yes you can pull just the engine that is how I do it in mine. Just be gentle and slow. Start to lift the drivers side first to help clear the frame rail. Pull the pulleys off of the after pump and she will clear. Just because it is an automatic does not mean it is slow. Some of the fastest guys now are running autos. I am looking to click off a high 12 second pass next season on a E316g.

As far as bov's. It all depends on what your goals are with the car. I am running a crushed 1g. But you would have to get a hard pipe to put a new bov on, and make sure you recirculate it.

How the hell and why would you only pull the engine without the trans? I've never heard of this done on a DSM.
If you pulled both it would give you a chance to paint it or put in a new set of end clutches/pump etc.
Good luck putting it back in there without damaging any pullies or the timing belt!

recirculating the BOV means hooking up the top part to the intake tract just behind the air filter. As it would be stock. Read the upgrade path that can be found from this website's home page. That will tell you about hard upper intercooler pipes.

As for pulling the engine; I always pull it with the transmission. Never tried it the other way.

Bryan

sorry not to steal the thread but what exactly does a crushed 1g bov do?

It preloads the spring in the BOV so it holds more boost without leaking into the recirc tube. It's done just like it sounds; crush the top of valve.

Here is a more professional alternative
DDG- Talon BOV mod for HIGH BOOST

Bryan

Pulling the engine out of a 2g without the trans is pretty crazy, especially if you are trying to leave the transmission in the car. Reason being, THREE of the four motor mounts attach to the transmission. With the trans in place, wiggling the engine out will give you little to no room to work with. Do yourself a favor and pull it all at once.

If you have the mechanical knowledge to pull an engine out, you can install a BOV. At most, it is 2 or 3 bolts.

deffinately found out how hard it is to pull the engine out of a 2g talon.... specially since its awd tsi... sunday we finish pulling the engine with the trans :banghead:.... i understand the recirculation thing now... the only reason im pulling the engine is because of front left side dmg... the frame is bent in, i have bought all of the pulleys that need to be replaced, and need a water pump... was considering upgrading my turbo before i put the engine back in... any suggestions?? what about fuel injectors, BOV, and what would the requirement of a wastegate be??

deffinately found out how hard it is to pull the engine out of a 2g talon.... specially since its awd tsi... sunday we finish pulling the engine with the trans :banghead:.... i understand the recirculation thing now... the only reason im pulling the engine is because of front left side dmg... the frame is bent in, i have bought all of the pulleys that need to be replaced, and need a water pump... was considering upgrading my turbo before i put the engine back in... any suggestions?? what about fuel injectors, BOV, and what would the requirement of a wastegate be??

Reading a bunch of the information that is already out here would help you out as far as upgrades go. You need to know the goals of the car before you can determine what new parts you need.

Bryan

i just did the motor in my 91 talon not to long ago and it can be done without pulling the trans i would suggest putting a piece of wood under the housing side of the trans and lifting it gently before you try and slide her in also pull all the pulleys off. what will really help you is a leveler on the engine hoist so you can tilt the engine as you are putting it in. Just take it real slow and everything will be just fine. I understand that not everyone has the money to paint or anything like that when they do the motor so you will be just fine.

would it be easier to pull just the motor if the front radiator was off..
that way u just hook up to the motor and push the car back?
was going to attempt this soon so if anyone else has done it with no success please let me know

would it be easier to pull just the motor if the front radiator was off..
that way u just hook up to the motor and push the car back?
was going to attempt this soon so if anyone else has done it with no success please let me know

You realize there is a core support up there? The easiest / safest way to do it at home in a garage on jackstands is the drop the trans out the bottom and then lift the motor out the top.

we are on a 3 foot hoist, no need for jackstands.... but come to find out.... the transmission is cracked where the shifter is... soo now i need to figure out some way to either have someone weld the cast... or a new way to mount the shift cable to the tranny .... :-( getting discouraged about my project.... :-( ... any one have a trans for a 95 eagle talon tsi awd automatic? LOL

Pulling the engine out of a 2g without the trans is pretty crazy, especially if you are trying to leave the transmission in the car. Reason being, THREE of the four motor mounts attach to the transmission. With the trans in place, wiggling the engine out will give you little to no room to work with. Do yourself a favor and pull it all at once.

If you have the mechanical knowledge to pull an engine out, you can install a BOV. At most, it is 2 or 3 bolts.

I don't believe pulling the engine out of a 2g is all that crazy. Even when you leave the trans in the car. I can do it by myself in just under 2 hours tops, and my buddies can pull theirs in 30 minutes and that is leaving the trans in the car.

You just have to take off the pulleys, This gives you JUST enough room to clear the frame. It is easier if you pull the radiator, but is not necessary.

To the OP how did you manage to crack the housing? And where is grass lake?

How the hell and why would you only pull the engine without the trans? I've never heard of this done on a DSM.

i'm about to pull the engine out of my 90 tsi awd w/o tranny. i'm using it for a rwd project so i have no need for tranny and or the rest of car so why bother puling it if i dont have to.
and it stands to reason if a person can pull the tranny w/o motor than the motor can be pulled without tranny. i know this logic doesnt alway work but in theory...

also no one mentioned can you pull motor w/o pulling the awd tcase. i believe this to be hard as the motor to tranny bolts are hidden above tcase right?

hey if you still need a auto tranny i have one.95 auto trans and trans case. will sell for cheap. has 110,000 on it but worked like a champ when i pulled it to swap to 5speed. if ## serious about needing it hit me up. Tristen 208-553-3123

also no one mentioned can you pull motor w/o pulling the awd tcase. i believe this to be hard as the motor to tranny bolts are hidden above tcase right?

no you cannot pull the engine without taking off the transfer case, reason being is the flywheel hangs down between the transmission and transfer case so when you try a seperate the engine and tranny the flywheel will catch on the transfer case therefore you can't seperate the engine from tranny without removing the transfer case. i found that out the hard way first time pulling my motor and ended up pulling the transmission also. :ohdamn:

we are on a 3 foot hoist, no need for jackstands.... but come to find out.... the transmission is cracked where the shifter is... soo now i need to figure out some way to either have someone weld the cast... or a new way to mount the shift cable to the tranny .... :-( getting discouraged about my project.... :-( ... any one have a trans for a 95 eagle talon tsi awd automatic? LOL

Bro join xceedspeed.com. It's a tuner based forum for people that live in Michigan but anyone is always welcome as well! I see you're in Michigan but not sure how far from Detroit you are or I'd offer to help. :thumb: Good luck with your project and there is a lot of helpful people on xceedspeed as weel as all the parts you will ever need for your DSM...or any tuner for that matter. :hellyeah:

guys thanks so much for the info on pulling the transfer case underneath the engine thats where im stuck at and didnt want to pull the tranny but i will do that any ways to get the engine bay painted

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back