1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G 1994 GST Auto trans. compatibility

Posted by alewis122, Jun 18, 2020

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. alewis122

alewis122 Probationary Member

Joined Feb 18, 2010
    Schaumburg IL, Illinois
    Hey everyone,

This site has been a world of help for me and friends so thank you in advance. I need a little help on a "good working condition" automatic transmission I bought I few years ago for my GST since the original transmission in the car has failed and will only go into the reverse gear. The part/model numbers are different but my friend told me it will work in my GST ( He did a AWD conversion to his Eclipse) The bell housing seems to match up but if you look in the pics the connector that plugs into the gear selector/ range switch is not the same, everything else seems to match. Would this trans. possibly be compatible with my car? Thanks

Attached Files:

243  7

1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · automatic · 1G DSM
  2. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    The f4a22 is a non turbo fwd trans, light duty usually behind 1.5-1.8l non turbo engines It is weaker than the f4a32 used for 2.0-2.4l non turbos, and most certainly weaker than the turbo f4a33 transmissions.

It may work, but you'll probably have to splice the connectors at minimum, or swap the whole trans harness (maybe more) at worst.
    I'd fix the trans you have for find a direct replacement.

Street Build 918  3

1990 Plymouth Laser N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM

853  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 1K  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 3K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    Bud92gsx and 1990TSIAWDTALON like this.
  3. alewis122

alewis122 Probationary Member

Joined Feb 18, 2010
    Schaumburg IL, Illinois
    ThunderChild,

Thank you so much for that information. Makes sense I will start looking for a repair kit or a direct replacement. Thanks!

243  7

1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · automatic · 1G DSM
  4. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    There are differences between the 1ga and 1gb automatic transmissions, they can be swapped but its some messing around to do it.

Drag Race Build 4K  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    alewis122 and ThunderChild like this.