The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colin Bodkin

Probationary Member
Apr 25, 2019
Conroe, Texas
Hey guys, new to this site and hopefully I can learn a lot here. My name is Colin and I just got my first car, a 1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS. It's only a FWD and a 1.8L, but eventually I plan to rebuild this thing into something nice. For now I'm just going to daily drive it. If I can, that is. Keep in mind that I just got this car a week ago.

I will add pictures into the comments as I do not have any at the moment.

The Eclipse was converted from an automatic to a manual and was running fine. It made a 170 mile trip without a hitch, and drove for almost an entire day after that. Then I heard a noise that sounded like a bunch of flies when I punched the throttle, the noise matched the RPM's.

Then the engine straight up died. Now I'm getting no spark. Naturally, I assumed the distributor went out so I went ahead and replaced that today. Still no spark, nor any power coming from the distributor. It's brand new, so I assume the next thing would be ignition coil? The engine cranks but just will not start. Any advice or tips?

I will add pictures into the comments
Be sure to go and make a DSM profile so you can put all the info about your car. That will be very helpful to us when you ask questions.

I agree with Lancer_lover that you should check the ecu, but yes the coil is also a good place to go next.

Welcome to the forums! :thumb:

So it ended up being the timing belt. The cogs fell off and it slipped, bending a couple valves in the process. New cylinder head on the way... It explains why it wouldn't start.

Hey guys, new to this site and hopefully I can learn a lot here. My name is Colin and I just got my first car, a 1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS. It's only a FWD and a 1.8L, but eventually I plan to rebuild this thing into something nice. For now I'm just going to daily drive it. If I can, that is. Keep in mind that I just got this car a week ago.

I will add pictures into the comments as I do not have any at the moment.

The Eclipse was converted from an automatic to a manual and was running fine. It made a 170 mile trip without a hitch, and drove for almost an entire day after that. Then I heard a noise that sounded like a bunch of flies when I punched the throttle, the noise matched the RPM's.

Then the engine straight up died. Now I'm getting no spark. Naturally, I assumed the distributor went out so I went ahead and replaced that today. Still no spark, nor any power coming from the distributor. It's brand new, so I assume the next thing would be ignition coil? The engine cranks but just will not start. Any advice or tips?

Distributors have 12 Volt DC supply. You might like to check for it. Much better if you can post picture of distributor and its connectors.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back