The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

1991 Eclipse GSX

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Model_Zero

Probationary Member
Apr 17, 2009
Richmond, Virginia
This is my first post, I want to eventually become a huge part of this forum as I continue to learn more about everything.

First off, I am what you would call a newbie to the whole mod scene..I've always loved cars just I was never in a position to build my own car..but now that oppurtunity has presented itself to me so I'm going to run with it. I have a few friends that I hang out with that talk to me and teach me what I need to know but I'm going to ask you DSM heads here to take me in and teach me and help me if you're up for it.

I just bought a GSX Rolling Shell with the 4 bolt rear and everything else except the engine...so I'm going to be buing the 4g63 Cyclone engine for around $1,200. My friend told me that the red top engine is pushing about 220 horsepower to the crank so i'm guessing displacement to my tires would be about 200 awhp?

Then we made a list of mod I will be getting done..my friends and Myself will be doing all bolt on and wire work ourselves..the only thing we're gonna need to take to someone to help is is when I hit about 350 AWHP and I start doing my pistons/rods so I can upgrade my turbo to the fp red.

Here is said list of mods.

Full Turbo Back Exhaust including Down and Test pipe.
Turbo Manifold
Hot Side
Intake
650 Injectors
fp Red Turbo
FMIC
MAF
Stage 2 Clutch
Evo3 o2 Housing
New oil Lines
Fuel Pump
272 shafts
Rubber around 4 Including Rims
All my strut bars/stabalizing bars
Brakes/pads around all 4
Coil Over Suspension work
Greddy BOV
Pistons
Rod
Bearing
Head Studs
AMS Tune
Boost Controller
Turbo Timer
Weight Reduction (nothing in trunk, replacing hood, and dropping backseats)

This car will be running on 93 Pump gas and I was just wondering what all I have missed from my list and about what kind of horsepower I could be looking at this after the AMS tune and all that.

Also, I do want this to be a 100% street legal car(Minus test pipe but we'll let that one slide ;x)

DSMTuner Forums, thank you guys for allowing me into your world and I'm happy I could be a part of the world of DSM!

-Dave!

Welcome to DSM world
Everything looks fine but what is a "Hot Side"?, what your plans for the future? as in do you think 350 Hp will be enough for you? Because 350hp can be reached with an evo3 16g.

The hotside apparently is what goes on the opposite side of the manifold? gives about 10 horsepower apparently

Also. I am hoping to be pushing 24 pounds safely out of the 16g before I replace the internals and upgrade to the fp red and pushing around 35 pounds?

I'm hoping to hit 420 with this car

I am trying to understand this, now hot side as in the hot side of the turbo or do you mean an intake manifold( because that would be considered cold side)? 26psi with 16g is possible but it will require the perfect tune, and better off running E85. But since you want all that power i suggest building your engine while is already out of the car, ross or mahley pistons, eagle rods, and build your valve train also with some better valves and springs, thats just my two cents, and forget about the 16g, just go with fp red from the get go, that way save more money.

Welcome to the site!!
That list looks good I would change a few things though The FP red is a great turbo capable off some good power I would recommend going with some bigger injectors than 650s and I don't think I saw a Fuel pump in your list as well as timing belt and something to tune with.

The fuel pump is up there, also I already have the 16g I got it from my friends evo when he upgraded. I got it for free so it's alright in my eyes.

Also, I wont be tuning a car like this myself at all. I will be going to AMS and getting them to tune my car whenever I need it. 400 bucks for 3 pulls on the dyno+tuning seems like a great deal to me.

This Red Top motor your talking about any links or anything on it? As far as i kno there is no " Red top motors " only time ive heard of motors like this is the sr20det from the japan 240 sx's aka silvia's . All mitsu eclipse / talon motors are the same 2g's 210hp 1g's 190hp even tho those are just stats and in my opinion they are all the same. ( except of course the 6 and 7 bolts :) ) Some one correct me if i am wrong .. i learn new things every time i log on to this site

The fuel pump is up there, also I already have the 16g I got it from my friends evo when he upgraded. I got it for free so it's alright in my eyes.

Also, I wont be tuning a car like this myself at all. I will be going to AMS and getting them to tune my car whenever I need it. 400 bucks for 3 pulls on the dyno+tuning seems like a great deal to me.

or you could put another 150 and get a dsmlink and do the tunning yourself at anytime and dsmlink is very user friendly.

This Red Top motor your talking about any links or anything on it? As far as i kno there is no " Red top motors " only time ive heard of motors like this is the sr20det from the japan 240 sx's aka silvia's . All mitsu eclipse / talon motors are the same 2g's 210hp 1g's 190hp even tho those are just stats and in my opinion they are all the same. Some one correct me if i am wrong .. i learn new things every time i log on to this site :)

he probably means the yellow top injectors, which is the galant vr-4 engine, lets hope he doesnt get a sr20 engine LOL

Note that an Evo 16G is not the same as what most run on DSMs, unless your friend owns an Evo III, the turbo spins the opposite way, since the engine was turned 180 degrees from the DSM. I'm not saying it won't work, but it won't be a bolt up thing. You might have to play with it to get it work.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It will be a bolt up to the red top evo3 Cyclone engine. picture related

So, what exact cars did the yellow top come out of? I think I'd need a new ECU for the engine in the GSX...

What exactly are the differences between the Yellow top and a 4g63t engine? =\

I thought the yellowtop were 510cc ?
The major difference between the jdm and the us-spec 4g63t were the injector size, intake manifold, and turbo.

If I'm installing this into my GSX can I use the american GSX Tranny and what all would I have to do to it to install it into my car?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back