The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1991 eclipse gsx question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vida

Supporting VIP
Feb 2, 2011
hapeville, Georgia
whats up guys, i just dfound this site, looks awsome! i recently bought a 91 gsx knowing it needs some work but dont really know where to start, the guy i got it from said it has some burnt valves which is why it runs so bad, so when i got it i changed the plugs and oil just to do it, then changed the air filter because of how nasty it was(most dirt i have ever seen in an air filter!) it has more power now but still feels like its running on 2 cylinders. just wondering if anyone might have some input or had the same type of problem. it doesnt smoke at all but i can hold a reciept up to the exhaust and it tried to pull it in, ive heard thats a sign of burnt valves but never confirmed it. its still getting boost and all. thanks for the input!

ok ill do that thanks, um how would i go about doing that? haha, also forgot to say that it runs really rough at low rpms, once it gets to about 3k or so it runs smooth but it gets kinda loud when you let off the gas.

Lol that car was actually suppsed to be delivered to me tomorrow and the guy sold it out from under me. No hard feelings though. I don't know if he told you but it has bent valves and actually is running on 2 cylinders. He told me that when I was lookin at it. He said it needed a new head. Hopefully he didn't leave you in that position without tellin you first.

oh that sucks man, hate he did that to ya.. but yea he told me it was running on 2 but all he said was he thought the valves in 2 and 3 were burnt. was thinking about just replacing the head but i dont know much about these engines, i know some if not all heads have to be shaved or somethin before u can put them on. i was thinking it would probly be smoking if the valves were burnt/bent but there i go again thinking what could be wrong when i dont know anything about it haha

Ehh not a big deal man. I hate when people do that but it happens. You can just replace the head on it. All in all you're lookin at around a grand or so to replace the head, oil pump, water pump, and timing belt and components. I highly suggest changing the fluids in the tranny, transfer case, and rear diff since its been sittin for a few years.

Also if its possible as far as your budget use OEM parts wherever you can. You pay more but they come with peace of mind.

man i was hoping all it would need is the head and timing belt wile im in there thinking i could do it for $300 or so haha but yea your probly right, all that stuff probly needs to be changed, also it has a little over 200k miles on it, not 150 like he said

Yeah I thought that was a little sketch when I got there and saw the mileage too. You can buy a used head and you might be ok with that just dont skimp on the timing belt stuff. Buy cheap and you could be right back in this position with the bent valves. How are your mechanical skills?

yea i gotcha, im pretty good i guess, im in aircraft mtc for delta haha but ive just never messed with this stuff before, i got the instructions off of all data for changing the head and timing belt. also found a refurbished head on ebay, its a company that refurbishes all kinds of heads. take a look at it and let me know what ya think. i havnt taken the head apart but the instructions are saying there are timing line up marks and all so im going to take the cover off when i get home and see what its talking about. just not sure if i want to try to tackle this, dont wanna tear anything else up that would cost even more than another head haha

link is: MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE 2.0 DOHC GEN 1 CYLINDER HEAD COMPLET - eBay (item 170541750677 end time Feb-14-11 10:39:18 PST)

thats actually even funnier...because i was suppose to buy it saturday and then bam its gone...

like the other guy and the P.O said. it has two valves that are horrible.

if you get in over your head, let me know and ill see about helpin you out with it.

i was hopin to have my 90 and that 91 :(

Hmmm I didn't know the turbo and N/A heads were interchangable. May want to search that topic. Also I can try and see whats around local for ya

Lol thats awesome. At least he had interested buyers

Hmmm I didn't know the turbo and N/A heads were interchangable. May want to search that topic. Also I can try and see whats around local for ya

if im not mistakened, a N/A head will bolt to a turbo block. but i wouldn't really suggest it...

thats actually even funnier...because i was suppose to buy it saturday and then bam its gone...

like the other guy and the P.O said. it has two valves that are horrible.

if you get in over your head, let me know and ill see about helpin you out with it.

i was hopin to have my 90 and that 91 :(

i feel bad now.. he sold it to me out from under TWO people.. sorry guys didnt know he had it ligned up to sell to both of ya too LOL

well if theres any chance it wont be as good or wont last as long ill just look for a head from a turbo. i could def use help finding parts for these, and also thanks for the belt kit link :D

and also, as for the question of will a non-turbo head fit a turbo, i looked it up and found a post saying they are identical but there is an oil feed line on the turbo that has a plug in it on the n/a and the cams for a n/a on the intake raise up a little bit taller, they said you can just use the cams from the old head if you wanted to.

Last edited:
Ive been hunting that oil feed banjo bolt for a week now, went to tons of places all these heads laying around for n/a and was praying just one time i would pull that bolt and i no be a damn plug LOL. and yes he cams will interchange if im not misaken.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back