The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1990 Eagle Talon TSI AWD OEM+ Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

20 years since I last owned a DSM. Since then I have gone through like 50 cars. I always told myself I would go back and build another. My first project car was a 1990 Gold GSX. I spent all my money on it, didn't have a clue back then, but it was so much fun. Back in those days I also had a 1992 Galant VR4.

Few days ago I saw a Red 1 owner 85K mile 1990 Eagle Talon TSI AWD 5 Speed 100% stock car for sale locally. It was cheap, but it needed a lot of work. I had to have it. The day I got it.

IMG_0776.jpg

Car has been sitting in a covered car port since 2007. It starts, but entire cooling system is rusted. I will tear it apart and replace and fix everything back to OEM or OEM+.

My goals for the car is just to have a fun weekend toy. Just some clean proven mods to get 300-350hp, no crazy power.

Engine Bay Day 1.

IMG_0777.jpg

Some basic things the car needs right now.

Full suspension overhaul
All new gaskets / seals / hoses
Entire new cooling system
Timing belt
Clean / replace injectors
Replace / upgrade brakes
New Door Seals
New Hatch Seals

Once Its restored to operating condition, I will start with some basic mods :)

OEM+ used to be the dsm mantra before it was a thing. I absolutely love 300-350hp builds. They’re so much more fun and easily attainable and honestly way faster on the street than a lot of cars that should be faster on paper.

Gonna keep A/C and stuff? Good luck with the build!

OEM+ used to be the dsm mantra before it was a thing. I absolutely love 300-350hp builds. They’re so much more fun and easily attainable and honestly way faster on the street than a lot of cars that should be faster on paper.

Gonna keep A/C and stuff? Good luck with the build!
Yes, going to keep AC, can't live without it in Texas :) Funny thing it is ice cold even after sitting for 15 years.

Pulled the Motor. Dropped it out the bottom, what a pain in the ass. There is no good place to keep it level underneath, almost fell off my table LOL.

IMG_0785.jpg

Hard to order some long ass bolts for my engine stand, the ones I had didn't fit.

Engine on the stand. Filthy, a bit rusted. Going to be stripped to bare long block and cleaned.

IMG_0795.jpg

Also ordered some 2003 Cobra Brakes with RTM Brackets, was going to do outlander brakes, but I like the Cobra calipers look more.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

I'm glad you're going for oem+ and not "ruining" such a great example, I'm excited to follow along!
What's the interior condition?
The Interior is pretty good, needs new steering wheel and shift knob and driver seat, it has one tear in it.

What did you use to clean the engine so well? I’m gonna be doing this myself soon to both my long block and transmission, so inquiring minds want to know. :p
Simple green with brass brushes and a lot of elbow grease :)

While waiting on parts to arrive, did a couple of things.

Replaced the worn out pedal rubber pads, one was completely gone and second was super worn.

IMG_0841.jpg

New ones installed

IMG_0842.jpg

Next, I noticed front wheel bearings have way too much play. Man what a pain in the ass to remove them. Ordered some SKF bearings and Seals.

IMG_0844.jpg
IMG_0845.jpg

Depends on what you're doing. Daily drive? Weekend dry only? Track? Two sets of tires/wheels?

I like the cooper zeon RS3-G1’s for everything but snow. But honestly you shouldn’t drive these things in snow anymore so there’s that. Great handling tire, great wet and dry weather traction, good quiet ride, comfy tire. I had them on the red 2G and will be going with them on the talon.

If it’s a track monster you’re after or a drag strip killer, definitely better to look elsewhere.

But, pricing them around, it’s only like $40 more total for 4 if you go with continental extremecontact DWS 06 plus and those are stellar tires even by summer tire standards. So I think I just changed my mind. :p

Last edited:
If it low mileage through the year consider the 200 treadwear examples. My personal favorite street tire is Michelin pilot series. A little more aggressive would be anything at 200 treadwear or below.

If it low mileage through the year consider the 200 treadwear examples. My personal favorite street tire is Michelin pilot series. A little more aggressive would be anything at 200 treadwear or below.

The pilot sport AS4’s are pretty awesome and their tread wear is 540.

I use pss on my GTR, PS4 are next once I wear those out. I considered them for the talon but I don’t need $300 tires for it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back