The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

14b flow

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beat90tsi

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 28, 2004
pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
My 14b is dying really hard near redline, what are my options?

When I hit 22psi in the mid-range it's pretty powerful with no knock, but it starts to come down, I want to say it only has 14psi at redline, obviously I short-shift more often than not.

I'm running a stock engine in my 91 GSX.
The relevant parts/mods are:
-hallman MBC
-stock head
-stock IC
-Dejon Tool blow-through UIC
-3" GM maf
-Buschur 2.5" SS TBE
-DSMlink
-650s
-2g exhaust manifold
-evo O2 housing

I guess a 7cm housing would be high on my list of things I should buy?

1. Try porting the exhaust housing
or
2. upgrade to a 7cm2 turbine housing

14b wasn't designed to hold power far in the RPM range. thats why people just upgrade to a bigger turbo

Ok, so ported Evo3 hot-side....and that's as good as it gets, fair enough.

Ok, so ported Evo3 hot-side....and that's as good as it gets, fair enough.

Or for a bit more top end, a bullseye power turbine housing would add a little more horsepower over the evo3 7cm2 turbine housing. Just another option.

I ran an evo3 hotside when I had a 14b and it made a nice difference after switching from the 6cm. I also ran it with a 38mm external and it would hold 20-21psi rock solid.

CHECK FOR BOOST LEAKTS!!!!! It really shouldn't be falling to 14bsi if it's set at 20psi even with the stock turbine housing and cams. I can see it drop to 18-17psi but not that low. You have stock cams and intakle manifold, you're motor doesn't flow SO much that the compressor cant keep up. Is your gm maf calibrated? and what is the lb/min number you are getting? Infact, just post a log. . .

The 7cm^2 housing upgrade is GREAT! I ran a 13.5 with a FWD and stock intercooler, fuel, weight, everything back in the day when I had the 14b. Then I swapped to the 7cm^2 housing and instantly needed much more injector :). Just like Toofast82, it held 20-22psi rock solid to redline.

The BEP .55 a/r housing is even better. I ran a td05h 7cm^2 18g later. I swapped to the BEP housing and saw more flow at the same psi with no loss in spool.

Don't port the 6cm^2 turbine housing. Run the proper seal ring in it. There is no flow increase in portign the openign any more. The 7cm^2 housing works better because the whole volute is larger not because the inlet is larger. You're better off with the seal ring because you save HOURS!!! of time with a grinder and don't increase the volume of the collector that ultimately hurts flow and spool vs. just running the seal ring.

If you decide to run a 7cm^2 housing and something like the stock 1g/2g manifold, then take a look at this mod instead of porting the step out of the 7cm^2 housing. Much easier on the hands and faster to do and maintains velocity better through the collector.

The 14b compressor has 34lb/min in it. Enough for a respectable horsepower output for a 16g turbo. Upgrading the turbine housing to a 7cm^2 housing turns your hotside into a 16g hotside. Now you'll have 16g turbine flow to get the 14b compressor into the 16g power range. You can max out your compressor and have more topend power.

Still your cams are probably killing you up top even more than your turbine housing.

I agree with Matt. There's probably something else at play here. Before mine blew (woops) I had it set at 23PSI with a ported 6cm housing on it (probably not the best idea with that small housing, but in my defense I was still using the sealing ring), and it would only drop to 21PSI. Definitely recommend finding an Evo 3 turbine housing and use that instead. Will give you some more of the topend pull you're looking for. I'm debating at this very moment if I want to rebuild the 14B and throw on an Evo housing I've got, or just go with an Evo 16G. Hmmm...

Definately see what you can get with that 14b. You're looking at putting the right manifold with the right turbine housng (e3 manifold with the 16g turbine housing: 7cm^2). Be done with it and get the seal ring. Then your going to get the most out of that fast spooling compressor. It has much more inducer blading, great for grabbing the air and making the boost what you want. It will fall down only when it's at its limit. It's a great compressor. Bottem line, will the 14b compressor at it's limit meet your goal. You can chaply and easily get a hotside that will give it all it needs to reach that goal. . . I mean the 16g hotside has seen 500whp on some cars ;). I'm sure it's good enough for you to max out the 14b compressor.

Well, I ran out 2nd gear when the motor was cold back in December and blew the 14b. I guess it was dying, because The S16g I'm running now spools much faster and creeps like CRAZY, and I'm only running a 2.5" exhaust. I'm going to have to port the daylights out of the WG passage.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back