The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

[email protected] HX35 street tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Most impressive aspect to me is that you're doing it on a 3-bolt rear end.OMG
Although judging by your 60' time, you're leaving pretty easy which might be enough to save the rear end. Awesome mph too by the way.:hellyeah:

His 1.8 60 ft is'nt leaving too easy.

Great times on street tires, I was able to get a 1.68 60 ft out of my 235/45R17 Sumitomo Htrz 2. Cheapo tires that dead hooked!

I've seen 1.69 on these same tires with the 14b(12.00 run). About the same outside temp, too. Track just wouldn't hold last weekend; pedal it, leave at part throttle etc just couldn't go WOT in first. The same rear end has seen a 1.5 on hoosiers :)

Tom, I have pretty much all the parts laying around for the auto drivetrain/engine laying around my house and garage. Just need to assemble the shortblock and massage the head. Just waiting since I have to swap parts from the current engine. Having too much fun on the stock stuff for right now! Every time I have ambition I remember I have to clean the garage first :p

Ceedawg, I don't really know how much of a difference the 272(DKS regrind) really did but I have a feeling I didn't gain 6mph just from 3 psi alone. I did notice that I tended to shift at a higher rpm and had to add VE up top to get afr to line up again. Didn't really notice much of a loss in low end.

Thanks for the offer on the 16cm housing but Jusmx already mailed me one about a month ago. I don't think I'll need it after seeing what the 12cm has done :thumb:

I do have 2 more spare 3 bolts and threw an entire assembly in my hatch on the way to the track ROFL Never broken one yet...

I feel if I had a set of slicks I could have easily went low 10s. I was spinning all of first and slightly in second on some passes. The hx35 has the potential. I took the 12cm housing to 37 psi and 8500 rpm and it didnt drop any boost

Man, all these 10-11 sec threads on the hx35 makes me so jealous...I NEED TO FINISH MY BUILD SO I CAN GET IT!!!

I feel if I had a set of slicks I could have easily went low 10s. I was spinning all of first and slightly in second on some passes. The hx35 has the potential. I took the 12cm housing to 37 psi and 8500 rpm and it didnt drop any boost

Well, You did that with the open manifold configuration. Not negating the tremendous results you accomplished; benchmark to you my friend! But Matt did this with a hotside that shows the exhaust pulses a critical area of 6cm^2. In the older dsm platform, that is another feat. A combination of good technology and good decisions and good driving.

You're results are pretty much the high benchmark set. And you've earned it! The interesting thing here with Matt is how a VERY SMALL twinscroll turbine housing and hotside with a "plainjane" build is making such great power. And has anyone actually looked at his logs of spool speed?!?! I laugh at The "Shear" mass of 'twinscroll is hype' replys on the evo forums, where the initial factory platform discussed utilizes a twinscroll system. Yea, Matt's doing this for emissions purposes :rolleyes:.

Well, You did that with the open manifold configuration. Not negating the tremendous results you accomplished; benchmark to you my friend! But Matt did this with a hotside that shows the exhaust pulses a critical area of 6cm^2. In the older dsm platform, that is another feat. A combination of good technology and good decisions and good driving.

You're results are pretty much the high benchmark set. And you've earned it! The interesting thing here with Matt is how a VERY SMALL twinscroll turbine housing and hotside with a "plainjane" build is making such great power. And has anyone actually looked at his logs of spool speed?!?! I laugh at The "Shear" mass of 'twinscroll is hype' replys on the evo forums, where the initial factory platform discussed utilizes a twinscroll system. Yea, Matt's doing this for emissions purposes :rolleyes:.

I switched to e85 for emissions purposes :idontknow:

;)

No, 'twinscroll setups are for emmisions'. It allows more power with less CO and NOx output ;)

. . . Like. . . it makes more power ;) . . .

Last edited:
Tom, I have pretty much all the parts laying around for the auto drivetrain/engine laying around my house and garage. Just need to assemble the shortblock and massage the head. Just waiting since I have to swap parts from the current engine. Having too much fun on the stock stuff for right now! Every time I have ambition I remember I have to clean the garage first :p

I know how that goes.. When you planning on doing all this? Im moving back in July, if its after then I could give you a hand.

Ive got all the parts to put together my build, but Im in the same boat as you. Everytime I want to I remember how cluttered the garage is!

Sometime this month most likely. I want to have it ready for Automotion even if it's at 9 psi and pump gas. Once I get rolling on it I should be good, weather could cooperate too...

I know how that goes.. When you planning on doing all this? Im moving back in July, if its after then I could give you a hand.

Ive got all the parts to put together my build, but Im in the same boat as you. Everytime I want to I remember how cluttered the garage is!

Tom, just let me grab one of your engines so I can finish my spyder already! :hellyeah:

Tom, just let me grab one of your engines so I can finish my spyder already! :hellyeah:

What all you need to get her goin?! Ill be bringing home a bunch of extra parts. But I hope you have it running before then! :pray: I need another spyder to around!

I really think the real t/s is why this makes so much power at low boost. It really helps the scavenging I think.

On the same cams/intake/fuel I make lots less power at similar boost. I do have a divided manifold, but my runners are paired wrong, I also have a bigger 20cm hotside.

I have another header I am gonna chop/cut/weld into a real twinscroll header..we'll see if I see some magical improvements.

Ceedawg, I don't really know how much of a difference the 272(DKS regrind) really did but I have a feeling I didn't gain 6mph just from 3 psi alone. I did notice that I tended to shift at a higher rpm and had to add VE up top to get afr to line up again. Didn't really notice much of a loss in low end.
I think it's kinda hard to say. I think 3psi alone could net you a higher mph especially at higher rpm shifts but who knows. I think a dyno woud perhaps tell the story. I am debating on whether to get rid of my 264 intake cam or not. Still I think with the stck mani and your cam setup your car runs very impressive.:thumb:

Fantastic! You must be an awesome driver with a ton of seat time.

I think it's kinda hard to say. I think 3psi alone could net you a higher mph especially at higher rpm shifts but who knows. I think a dyno woud perhaps tell the story. I am debating on whether to get rid of my 264 intake cam or not. Still I think with the stck mani and your cam setup your car runs very impressive.:thumb:

Yes 3psi more will net more power. But 3psi cant net a conservative 80ish whp gain :). Click.

Let's say one sees 20whp per psi increase. Going to the 272 intake cam from the 264 cam still gave him 20 more whp. But more likely there was a 10ish whp gain per psi; not benchracing/dynoing, but looking at other setups' whp increase per psi increase. So most would say the majority of the gain came from the intake cam upgrade.

Yes 3psi more will net more power. But 3psi cant net a conservative 80ish whp gain :). Click.

Let's say one sees 20whp per psi increase. Going to the 272 intake cam from the 264 cam still gave him 20 more whp. But more likely there was a 10ish whp gain per psi; not benchracing/dynoing, but looking at other setups' whp increase per psi increase. So most would say the majority of the gain came from the intake cam upgrade.

Another thing I noticed his 1/8 mph is 102mph and his 1/4 was bout 136mph. Thats quite a gain after the 1/8! I would assume the new intake cam has a big part in that. I knew matts car felt really good up top and it never seemed to die off but I didn't expect a 135mph trap! But then again his car keeps surprising us left and right!

Congrats again Matt! Hopefully if the weather holds off we will go back with my QTP's and see what she will do! You forgot to mention this is your DAILY DRIVER!

One thing I can say is an open manifold to TS is absolutly terrible for spool. I would have to believe that it effects maximum airflow to some degree. 37 psi is the most boost I could get out of this turbine after countless blt to ensure there was no more leaks. No vac to wastegate and door strapped shut. I would think you should be able to get more boost out of it?

Well for a good comparison I'm running 272's, an 8 blade hx35 in a BEP bolt on housing, stock 2g manifold and at 31-32psi my car has trapped 100mph in the 1/8th and 127 in the 1/4. I am on a 2.5" exhaust but even if I upgraded to a 3" there is NO way I would pick up 8mph from it.

:hmm: I still have the original HX35 12cm housing and now you've got me thinking I should make a manifold for it.

Well for a good comparison I'm running 272's, an 8 blade hx35 in a BEP bolt on housing, stock 2g manifold and at 31-32psi my car has trapped 100mph in the 1/8th and 127 in the 1/4. I am on a 2.5" exhaust but even if I upgraded to a 3" there is NO way I would pick up 8mph from it.

:hmm: I still have the original HX35 12cm housing and now you've got me thinking I should make a manifold for it.

You're saying 2g mani,but is'nt your car a 1g?:confused: I think a better comparison would be if both of ou were modded exactly the same. I feel it's actually a combo of boost and the cam but I am still a lil skeptical even though I understand what DSMonster is saying.

Cool beans man, I hope to be putting similar times down. I plan to use an hx35 for a first setup for my 10.5:1 2.4, should be fun!

You're saying 2g mani,but is'nt your car a 1g?:confused: I think a better comparison would be if both of ou were modded exactly the same. I feel it's actually a combo of boost and the cam but I am still a lil skeptical even though I understand what DSMonster is saying.

Yea Dustin is a special case don't ask LOL.. ROFL. But yea I asked him the same thing from what I read 1g intake manifolds flow more then a 2g so it was down grade to go to 2g intake manifold.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back