The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

10.69 on T25/NOS + video

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The thing that is even crazier than all stock except nitrous, clutch, and intercooler piping. Running high 10s on a fwd gst, is the fact that its the infamous 7 bolt under the hood.

That thing might go faster with the turbo removed. I'm sure that small t25 exhaust housing is a huge bottleneck. Or, are you running a huge wastegate to get all that exhaust around the turbine?

Hey everyone,

Here is an update on where I left off about 5 years ago. I swapped the motor out of my eclipse and put it into a 5th gen Mirage. This helped with weight savings without gutting the car and keeping me legal to race in FWD class at IFO. I have just recently converted my car to an auto since I could not go more than 4 rounds without breaking gears.

When the car was a 5 speed I ran a best of 10.47 @ 149MPH… on a 305 shot of nitrous. I have backed the shot down to 200hp just to see if the auto trans would hold. So far it has done well. On my last pass the rpms shot up over 9k and I had to lift. I am not sure if 3rd gear slipped or I hit something on the track. I will be back to the track soon and getting back to my 300 shot which should net some 9-second passes if the trans holds up.

Here is a link for last weekends event.

[ame=http://youtu.be/lEESZIMCNpo]Holeshot Performance 1997 Mitsubishi Mirage with 4G63 swap - YouTube[/ame]

Sick :hellyeah:
Built F4A33 Auto fwd trans? 1g,2g ?

Here is the name of the thread and it has a video of the build for the mirage.

5th gen 4g63 swap drag car comple

The Eclipse race weight was 2493 without driver and a standard trans. This car had all Lexan windows no interior and cut all to hell with only a 6 point cage.

The Mirage weight is 2241 without driver and with an auto trans. This car has full interior and glass with a 12 point cage and parachute mounts.

The Mirage weight is 2119 without driver and a standard trans.

Thank you.

That's a good amount of weigh savings between the two. I watched the vid last night and the Mirage is very clean.

It was good racing with you guys again! Can we pretty please put a bigger turbo on this puppy so you can start dominating FWD?? :D

Mirage is very clean. good work on it man. I like guys like you. You stay with a project and make it better over the years instead of the buy-parts-put-it-together-sell-or-part-it-out-at-the-end-of-the-season type people we have nowadays. No passion! Wish you success on your next outings!

putting a bigger turbo, or using an bigger exhaust housing or even a bigger wastegate will free up tons of power being lost to the amount of backpressure being made on the hot side.

It was good racing with you guys again! Can we pretty please put a bigger turbo on this puppy so you can start dominating FWD?? :D

Naw I am good, I really believe with a 300 shot I should be in the 9.6-9.4 range. The first time out I went 10.1 and I think just changing when and how much NOS is applied could get me a high 9. with out even changing from the 200 shot. IFO Tucson is right around the corner so we will have to see.

putting a bigger turbo, or using an bigger exhaust housing or even a bigger wastegate will free up tons of power being lost to the amount of backpressure being made on the hot side.

Bigger exhaust housing will only help so much considering he's pushing more exhaust mass than that poor little turbine can handle LOL

The wastegate though definitely would be an option, something like a 60mm gate off the manifold and maybe a set of cams like GSC S2s or similar and get some more top-end by "working around" the turbo for another 1500-2000 rpm strikes me as allowing for a lot more power to be made while potentially saving a gearshift as well.

Where do you shift currently?

Bigger exhaust housing will only help so much considering he's pushing more exhaust mass than that poor little turbine can handle LOL

The wastegate though definitely would be an option, something like a 60mm gate off the manifold and maybe a set of cams like GSC S2s or similar and get some more top-end by "working around" the turbo for another 1500-2000 rpm strikes me as allowing for a lot more power to be made while potentially saving a gearshift as well.

Where do you shift currently?

All I have done is port the stock waste gate and ported the turbo housing to match the FP manifold.

As for shift points I only rev to 8k, until I upgrade my DSM link since my second stage turns off at 8k.

The car feels strong all the way to 8k I am not sure the car will make much more power over 8500.

Right now the second stage comes on at 55mph with a 60 shot and ramps up to 200 shot at 70mph

Next time out I am going to start my second stage at 30mph with a 70 shot and be at a full 200 shot by 50mph. As long as the track will hold it I think this will put me in the high 9's.

Once I feel that the auto trans is going to hold the power then I will go back to the 300 shot and hope for mid 9's

We need a build thread for the gst... im thinking a 100 shot with my set up should get high 11's

There isn't much to write about, everything is pretty much stock with the exception of the internals and my NOS kit. If you have any questions just let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
All I have done is port the stock waste gate and ported the turbo housing to match the FP manifold.

As for shift points I only rev to 8k, until I upgrade my DSM link since my second stage turns off at 8k.

The car feels strong all the way to 8k I am not sure the car will make much more power over 8500.

Right now the second stage comes on at 55mph with a 60 shot and ramps up to 200 shot at 70mph

Next time out I am going to start my second stage at 30mph with a 70 shot and be at a full 200 shot by 50mph. As long as the track will hold it I think this will put me in the high 9’s.

Once I feel that the auto trans is going to hold the power then I will go back to the 300 shot and hope for mid 9’s

Wow, if you are already running to ~8000rpm, just running a big external gate.. even "only" a 44mm, would really let the turbine get out of the way of the motor.

If you are getting ~20lbs/min from the turbo, and then injecting the equivalent of another ~30lbs/min through the nitrous kit you are well beyond what the wheel can handle.

Letting more of that pass easily to atmosphere should make a noticeable difference from 5500-8500rpm just because the pressure in the exhaust manifold could practically be halved ROFL

You may have to play with exhaust cam timing as well as the big external gate, but it could be possible.

I shudder to think where it is currently. :p

I can appreciate what you’re saying but my goal is to go as fast as I can without the aid of multiple aftermarket parts or custom modifications. I am running stock cams and cam gears so I can’t do much with that. Now that I have a transmission that will shift, and handle the power I am making without breaking the gears, I really think I can get into the 9s. As for back pressure on the turbo I am sure it may be a bit high but I don’t think it is that high, my EGT’s are around 1300 degrees, the wide band runs around 10.6. The turbo that’s on the car is the same turbo I have used for over 13 years and that turbo has well over 500 passes on it...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back