The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

1G 1.8 to 4g63t swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Balzano

Probationary Member
Mar 31, 2015
Naugatuck, Connecticut
I have a 1992 eclipse GS. It's a 1.8 and I've been trying to figure out how I'm going to get a 4g63t I'm there. I've found a 7bolt but I've been told that there are different motor mounts. I love the 1st gen. I would have bought a gsx or tsi but I can't find one. So the questions I have are
1 will it work
2 what about ecu/ecm
3 fuel management and delivery....will I need a new pump? Ect....
4 transmission.....can I use the one I have or will the splines not match up?
5 wiring harness... do I just use an ecu/ecm from a 2.0 car and get a main harness from that and just plug it all in?
I understand it will be alot of work/time/money. But I love these cars and I would like to decimate all Hondas that cross my path. Please save all the "don't waste your time" comments. You will be wasting my time by posting it. Other than that thank you for the feedback

I did this in my 93 1.8. I had a donor car and removed everything Wire harness, ecu, gauges, etc and dropped it in. Seemed to be easier to just get a new donor car and pull everything out then piecing it together. Motor mounts were the same and I believe the tranny is the same and the fuel pump is different. As for the Harness I'm not 100% sure if you can just drop in the new ECU. You will want the factory cluster unless you are adding an aftermarket boost gauge which is clearly the better option.

I thought about the cluster too. And I'm planning on running more boost than the Guage will be capable of handling anyway. I was thinking of using an access port or something similar. But where I'm from finding a donor car will be extremely difficult. I have the only 1g dsm that I've seen in a LONG Time. I've also called many junkyards LOL

There are lots of differences including tranny. 1.8 tranny will bolt up but you would have the smaller nt clutch and flywheel. The motor mount diffrrences you speak of are for 2g cars. Saying you found a 7 bolt isnt enough info. is it a 1g or 2g 7bolt? I wouldnt do it without a donor car. You already said you dont want to hear this but im telling you after 25 years of doing this if you want a turbo that bad search nationwide and get one. Im on dsm number 9. My latest one I searched for a year and had it shipped 1500 miles. I personally might attempt this swap but keep in mind I have 25 years backing me up. I wouldnt do it without a donor car either as there are too many things that are different. Even year to year things change and youll need to know this.

Well I get it. And thanks for the feed baCk. I guess the new plan is just to try to find a better platform for what I want to do. Any advice on where to look for a gsx or tsi? I would be open to 1g or 2g. But as I'm working on a budget it would have to be something a little beat up. I wouldn't care. Even if it doesn't run. As long as everything is there

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back