The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

01 lexus IS300 4g63 swap/track car build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Why not use the jay racing thermo block off and not having to worry about using 5ft of coolant hose over the exhaust?

Also, why not convert to the 95 style CAS?

^ Why can't people wrap their head around this? I suppose people who just drag race will never understand the advantages of a lighter, more compact engine placed more centrally in the chassis for improved weight distribution...

Why not use the jay racing thermo block off and not having to worry about using 5ft of coolant hose over the exhaust?

Also, why not convert to the 95 style CAS?

From what I have read, no one has track tested the front mount coolant lines. The plan is to make an AN line over the intake manifold.

I have both style CAS, and figured I can make the firewall too far back, but would be pissed if I did not leave enough room. I want to be able to remove the head while the engine is in the car.

You might also want to consider using quick-turn fasteners and making that portion of the firewall removable so that you can access the rear portion of the engine easier when you need to service something.

That is the plan

Yea i meant the gte, should have specified i guess. Hell even the ge had more factory hp then the 4g. Seems like an odd swap to me. Like swapping out an ls1 for an lt1.

My stock engine made 177whp, and with headers, intake safc and exhaust it made 211whp. The goal is to reduce weight as well as make more power. This is far from a stock engine swap.

^ Why can't people wrap their head around this? I suppose people who just drag race will never understand the advantages of a lighter, more compact engine placed more centrally in the chassis for improved weight distribution...

Thank you, I do not think I could have worded it better

Is that worth the power loss and lack of reliability? The gte makes 320hp factory in some trims. Why spend 10 times the amount for a smaller, weaker, completely custom in everyway swap when one of the best motors ever built is a bolt in. Doesnt seem worth 200lbs of weight savings to me.

I imagine the harness and gauge cluster will be a complete nightmare, switching motor, drivetrain, and manufacturers.

They're obviously doing an amazing job with the swap, but its still like swapping an ls1 for an ecotech. Makes no sense to me. With the work going into this he could have swapped in an aluminum ls series motor.

Is that worth the power loss and lack of reliability? The gte makes 320hp factory in some trims. Why spend 10 times the amount for a smaller, weaker, completely custom in everyway swap when one of the best motors ever built is a bolt in. Doesnt seem worth 200lbs of weight savings to me.

I imagine the harness and gauge cluster will be a complete nightmare, switching motor, drivetrain, and manufacturers.

They're obviously doing an amazing job with the swap, but its still like swapping an ls1 for an ecotech. Makes no sense to me. With the work going into this he could have swapped in an aluminum ls series motor.

This is far from a stock swap. It will make at least 600whp when finished. I am loosing a ton of weight in the worse place on the car and making a ton more power. Sounds like a win win. This is a race car, so wiring will consist of aftermarket gauges. The interior is staying gutted with the addition of a full cage. I know that with a 2jzgte and a bolt on turbo kit it will make the same power. Part of the reason I am doing the swap is because I am tired of people acting like the 2jz is the best engine ever invented. I agree that it is a great engine, but not for all applications. We had an 8 second drag supra back in 2002. That is a proper use for the 2jz, also I feel like it is a great engine for a street car. My car's twin has an ls1 and that was a lot less work, but that is a pro/am drift car where low end torque is ideal. Again, choosing the right engine for the application.

Very nice. I agree with your philosophy 100%. I'll test the front coolant lines for everyone :)

Very nice. I agree with your philosophy 100%. I'll test the front coolant lines for everyone :)

Have you read the theory about plugging most or one of the front coolant passage and drilling out one of the rear? I am thinking of trying that, but I do not personally know anyone doing it.

Have you read the theory about plugging most or one of the front coolant passage and drilling out one of the rear? I am thinking of trying that, but I do not personally know anyone doing it.

Yessir. It seems to make sense to me doing it that way, so that was the plan. I was going to plug both the fronts.

I basically need it front mounted because I don't want to touch the firewall, but I want it as far back as possible.

I don't mean to threadjack here, but like this:

IMG_1435.jpg

Oh, and for the 2J lovers out there, Toyota put the 3SGTE in the Supra for the JGTC back in the day.

TRD_3SGT_Supra_0007.jpg

From what I've heard the 2jzgte from the supra is not as easy as it looks, apparently the wiring is a big issue, so a lot of people swap in the supra shortblock and use the lexus head.

Yessir. It seems to make sense to me doing it that way, so that was the plan. I was going to plug both the fronts.

I basically need it front mounted because I don't want to touch the firewall, but I want it as far back as possible.

I don't mean to threadjack here, but like this:

Oh, and for the 2J lovers out there, Toyota put the 3SGTE in the Supra for the JGTC back in the day.

Also, I have been told that with the 95 cas you can not run adjustable cam gears. I have thought of trying to attaching the CAS wheel to an adjustable cam gear, but am worried about the cam and crank syncing together. What chassis is that? Looks cool.

I love that JGTC supra.

From what I've heard the 2jzgte from the supra is not as easy as it looks, apparently the wiring is a big issue, so a lot of people swap in the supra shortblock and use the lexus head.

The issue is that the oem gauges are data. So deleting the stock issue causes issues. Most people keep the oem is300 ecu, and add a second ecu (either oem gte, or standalone) then when running the oem gte ecu a piggy back ecu is also used. Plus a few black boxes (o2 sim, coil pack sim, and forced open loop box to stop relearning) to keep the check engine light off if needed. Most turbo is300's are wiring nightmares.

That's an S13 240sx chassis, not mine, but nearly the same as the one my 4G is going into.

I believe AEM cam gears have the attachment points for the cas, I'll have to check when I get to the shop tomorrow.

John is running Fidanza gears on his 10 second talon with the 95 cas as well.

Sweet to know. Now I am going to ditch the rear cas, and possibly the rear thermostat housing. I guess I can just put something else back there, since I am not going to make the firewall smaller, LOL.

Sweet. I am excited that my huge firewall might be useless. Time to bnuild more.

Pm sent on the cam gears.

Got more done on the firewall. There is adequate room to make a turbo manifold.

IMG-20111214-00272.jpg

IMG-20111214-00273.gif

IMG-20111214-00271.jpg

glad someone step up to swap the DSM head on the 4G63BT block..all require is an OE HG..kudos

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back