The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Won't stay running after 6 bolt swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95'RS-T

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
Germansville, Pennsylvania
I'm not sure where to post this, but I'm in need of help.
I recently swapped in a 6 bolt motor everything is stock except a big 16g and arp main studs. Problem is when I start the car it seems as if it has a misfire and I have to feather the gas to keep it running. I have spark, fuel, air, and compression. I'm at a loss here and have been searching threads for 2 weeks now. I have done boost leak tests, triple checked my cas wiring, firing order, and mechanical timing I just don't get it. But when it does start it sounds as if the exhaust is really loud, like exhaust mani gasket but it's new. Any advice would be great, thanks

I do have a cel it's a p0443 the evaporate system I think it's the gas cap. When I turn the key to on the temp gauge reads maybe a 1/8 of being warm even when the car is cold. Could it be the sensor? Its less then a year old, so I didn't even think of it.

Edit: would the exhaust manifold gasket make it not idle? It's a 2 ply gasket if that helps. It does sound like there's no exhaust on the car.

Are you talking about the manifold to head or manifold to turbo? If you have a massive leak at either location it might make it die, but I've dealt with some fairly f'd up turbo gaskets before and can't remember one that made the car die. If your coolant temp is instantly reading above the first mark on the gauge that's not right. Do you happen to have a log via dsmlink that I can take a look at? Something that is logging before you start it and shows the startup/die?

Unfortunately I do not have link. I was talking about the manifold to head. I'll do another boost leak test and swap the temp sensor then post the results.

Temp sensor is working fine. I did how ever find a massive boost leak on the lower intercooler coupler. I don't have an extra clamp to test it. Since it's a holiday nothing is open.:mad: I hope that will solve the idle issue.

I believe this thread is now resolved. I pulled the head and found 2 exhaust valves that look like the motor was running lean at one point(1/4 of the valve was missing) Replaced them and should be running in about an hour.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back