The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Wont idle

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gstbuford

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 10, 2008
Prairievlle, Louisiana
So I bought a 93 GSX .

After going over everything, I replaced the fuel tank, sending unit, filter, and pump with a walbro 190 because I noticed rust in the tank. I cleaned out the rail and replaced the injectors and flushed out the fuel lines.

I did a compression test and it reads 140 across the board. I started it and it doesn't want to idle by itself. It will stay running if you stay on the gas but if I rev it up it sputters and wont rev past 4500. The weird thing is after it gets to operating temp the sputtering goes away, it revs fine all the way to 7000, and it idles fine.

So far I replaced all the fuel components and the ECU as the original ECU was fried. Any ideas what could wrong? Thanks guys.

I will definatly try that tommorrow. Thanks man. Anything else I can look for?

Ok guys this car still isnt running right. Its to the point where it will barely start. It takes about 4 or 5 times to try and start. Once it starts, the car will idle at about 6-700 rpms but if you tap the gas, the car just dies. As stated before, all the fuel compants have been changed/flushed out and fresh gas with injector cleaner was put in. If you start it at WOT, it will idle for a little while, and then rev but sputters very badly and wont rev past 4500. What has me thinking its a fuel problem, is that whenever its idling at 6-700 rpms, if I spray starter fluid into the intake, the idle will clear aup and will rev very smoothly all the way to 7k rpms. Any ideas guys? Im lost at this point.

What about the temp sensors. These cars are supposedly have major issues when trying to start and the sensors are bad or disconnected or broken wires. Have you checked them out.

I am having the exact smae issue right now. I have fixed evrery problem with this car except this one. I have replaced the MAFS, temp sensor, TPS, O2 sensor and still no answer for this one. Car is really hard to start when it does start it will idle like forever until you press the gas pedal then it dies immediatly. If i spray starting fluid in it while reving the motor it runs great. I wired my fuel pump to the battery and tried to start the car same issue, i just tried that trick. I do not think it is fuel related anymore. I have broke down i am off to buy a data logger this weekend. You can try what i did above you may get better results, good luck. Pleas keep us posted and i will do the same.

Sounds like a fuel problem. I would look at the fuel injection system all over again since you replaced it. did you check the fuel filter or fuel pump?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back