1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Why "that" Brand of alcohol injection?

Posted by my dreamt dsm, Apr 11, 2013

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. my dreamt dsm

my dreamt dsm Proven Member

Joined Jan 29, 2007
    Somewhere In, California
    Wow, I guess alcohol injection isn't to popular any more LOL Not sure if Ill get many responses.
    I'm looking into alcohol injection. I hit the track a lot in the summer.
    I want to know why/ how to pick the right alcohol injection kit for me. Why the other name brand over the other. Is the other kit more complete then the others? Devils Own and Snow Performance pops up a lot during my searching on google and youtube.

Goal.
    320+whp, 12 sec time slips.

edit:
    Why does my title only shows Why "that"
    I thought here goes another idiot without a descriptive thread title LOL

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  2. Dsmkauai

Dsmkauai Proven Member

Joined Feb 20, 2010
    Kauai, Hawaii
    I helped my friend set up a devils own kit on his 2g, really nice kit. I ran my low 12 passes with just 100 Oct race gas and 850's. You already have a setup to run 12's in, but if you wanna reach that goal you will need more traction. I suggest looking into slicks and a LSD before worrying about Alc/meth injection. If you get that 2.7 60' down to say 1.9 or better you will be hitting low 13's high 12's for sure. Chris I was thinking like old school grassroots guys running moonshine injection LOL. But methenol and denatured alcohol are different the only real part that's the same is the injecting.

Drag Race Build 885  2

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM

6K  0

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    13.7 @ 101 · Galant VR-4

4K  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    12.408 @ 112.930 · 2G DSM

2K  0

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 2G DSM
  3. LandSpeed-DSM

LandSpeed-DSM Proven Member

Joined Dec 5, 2011
    Chicago, Illinois
    Methanol is alcohol..

I made my own system.. 3 nozzles and a 250psi pump.

2K  0

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    · 1G DSM
  4. Joethefallen23

Joethefallen23 Proven Member

Joined Dec 31, 2011
    Fishkill, New York
    I run a Snow kit on my other car. Awesome kit for the price in my opinion. :thumb:

631  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    automatic · 2G DSM
  5. my dreamt dsm

Joined Jan 29, 2007
    Somewhere In, California
    Whats the difference in stages?

6. LandSpeed-DSM

Joined Dec 5, 2011
    Chicago, Illinois
    Read the details of what's offered. It's different company to company.

2K  0

· 1G DSM
  7. Blurred Talon

Blurred Talon Proven Member

Joined Jan 2, 2004
    Paradise, NL, Canada
    Nicest kit I have ever installed is an Aquamist HFS-3 with the PWM controller.
    It's a bit more complicated then the usual but it's an awesome kit.

Street Build 2K  0

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  8. 95DsManiac

95DsManiac Proven Member

Joined Dec 5, 2012
    Bay Point, California
    My dreamt gsT:

What's up bro. I see your in Fresno which isn't far at all from me. Let me try to explain my experience with water/meth so far.

About two months ago I traded a super 20g for a snow performance 220psi pump, tank, push lock fitting for tank, AEM low level indicator, and a AEM progressive controller. I since then purchased 1 #4 devils own nozzle, 2 snow performance nozzles (red and blue), devils own black tubing, devils own check valve and 90 degree nozzle holder (both push lock style and metal), a RTM racing weld on bung, and 3 bottles of snow performance boost juice 49/51 blend.

I installed it all about two weeks ago and it was an easy install. I had to get the bung welded of course. And I put the juice in. I made it come on at 7 psi and full on at 15 psi. At first I didn't notice any at all gains. But this was because I had my timing so low it was causing me to knock because it wasn't a smooth timing curve. About a week ago I just reset it to stock 2g timing table and man did my car come from the dead. Before at 6/7k I had about 2-4 degrees advanced and it is at 15-17 now which is around stock and the car pulls like a bat out of hell with little to no knock at 20 psi of boost. My afr's are between 11.0:1 - 11.5:1 at WOT and I can really tell the difference. My IATs according to my GM sensor is between 60-100 depending on the weather but hasn't really gone over 100 degrees. I still haven't gotten the tune perfect but I know I got more room to grow than before. At first I would drive 60 miles to get a gallon of boost juice for $10, but now I just mix 6 bottles of yellow heet and a half gallon of water. It works just fine.

I am now researching denatured alcohol to see if I should try this. I know it also has ethanol it as well as methanol so I'm going to try and see if it is any better. But so far it is great. I just found an e85 station in concord which is 60-70 miles from Santa Rosa but my wife's mother lives there and we visit enough to where I can get two 5 gallon gas cans and fill up every time we come down here. I don't drive my car that much and I just upgraded to v3 full so I will have dual maps just in case I want to go back and forth between pump and e85 but I have to research that to see if it is safe to do.

If you have any questions as far as water/meth feel free to Pm me and I will try to answer the best I can. I am no meth guru but I can tell you my personal experience with it.

2K  0

11.850 @ 121.990 · 2G DSM

3K  0

1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
    manual · 1G DSM
  9. dsmcurse

dsmcurse Proven Member

Joined Aug 14, 2009
    Pasco, Washington
    go to walmart, get super-tech brand -20* windsheild wiper fluid in a gallon jug, get little yellow bottles of HEAT, mix 4 HEAT bottles to one wiper fluid. if you wanna make it really spicy, go with 5 bottles to one wiper fluid. i started out only mixing 3 to 1. but go 4 HEAT bottles to 1 wiper fluid jug. works perfect, cheap to make, can go to walmart and buy "boost juice" any time of day or night.

2K  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  10. Pipnorcali

Pipnorcali Proven Member

Joined Oct 29, 2011
    Grass valley, California
    Spend that money on some slicks and put some 100oct pump from the 76 off watt (10 min from the track) if I ever see ya down there you can borrow mine for a pass. If you wanna try them out ...

Sac raceway plus 300hp gst = no traction

2K  0

12.636 @ 111.92 · 2G DSM
  11. gorf

gorf Proven Member

Joined Dec 13, 2004
    Chapel hill, North Carolina
    Have you tried Air Brake Antifreeze, available in gallon jugs at Napa. It is supposed to be 99% methanol.

gorf

Street Build 1K  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  12. 95DsManiac

95DsManiac Proven Member

Joined Dec 5, 2012
    Bay Point, California
    They don't sell -20 in these parts of California. They only sell concentrate which is about the size of the heet bottles.

Slicks would be a good purchase but are expensive as fxxx.

I say go for it bro. (Meth kit). In my personal experience it is well worth it. But that's just me. I also got a pair of BFG drag radials for $100 with only a couple runs on them. The guy got some more if you need them just let me know and ill call dude and tell him to hold them. You would have to come get them though LOL. Dude also works at a tire store in San Rafael called cains tire and brakes. He gives me his store discount on any tire I need.

Back on topic: The meth kit so far is a good purchase for me because it keeps my intake temps really low, I was able to run a bunch more timing, it gave me room to raise boost from 20ish to 24-25ish with same timing with little to no knock, and I save a little gas. (Pulled fuel when it starts injecting and even more when it's full on, my AFRs are between 11.0:1 and 11.5:1)

2K  0

11.850 @ 121.990 · 2G DSM

3K  0

1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
    manual · 1G DSM
  13. LandSpeed-DSM

Joined Dec 5, 2011
    Chicago, Illinois
    I'm running E85 and plan to use the system primarily to keep EGTs in check on long pulls, you can follow the black nylon lines and get an idea of how the system is set. Total of 3 nozzles.. one pre-turbo, one pre-intercooler and one more pre-throttle
    5e4f3a9a-2153-4c35-b90b-253538e93a9f_zps5e2fc8db.jpg

2K  0

· 1G DSM
  14. my dreamt dsm

Joined Jan 29, 2007
    Somewhere In, California
    Thanks for the input you guys from the slicks to the experiences to the set ups.

I'll keep in mind what you guys mention.
    Things on my list right now are:
    DD tires/ track tires
    Continental ExtremeContact DW
    Wave trac or Quafie lsd
    Devils own or Snow performance alcohol injection, they both run around the $350-$380 shipped mark
    then upgrade to dsm link v3 and then slicks.

15. SHaman

SHaman Proven Member

Joined Jul 3, 2008
    Frankfort, Asia
  16. Colt4G63 also

Colt4G63 also Proven Member

Joined Jul 23, 2008
    Tonawanda, New York
    I like my CMGS. Nothing slicker than that. Toss boost gauge, install CMGS. Period no fuss no mess.

Street Build 2K  0

1990 Dodge Colt
    manual · 4G63t Swapped

Street Build 1K  0

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    manual · Galant VR-4
  17. bigdnno98

bigdnno98 Proven Member

Joined Aug 4, 2013
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    I've installed prob 10+ Coolingmist kits on $55,000 BMWs over the last few years and 0 have failed. I love meth injection when it's necessary. Some people don't have access to e85 or some platforms don't have the ability to run 100% e85 due to fueling restrictions. Methanol can be run safely fairly easily and I personally prefer Coolingmist kits. Their customer service is pretty amazing too. One BMW I put a CM kit in has been running the same exact setup for almost 4 years now with 0 issues.

3K  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    12.0 @ 121 · 2G DSM