The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Why does my rebuilt engine still smoke???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

layzie12g

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 7, 2008
Seattle, Washington
I had my head rebuilt in May of 07 by the machine shop that Pina Motorsports goes though and had the bottom end rebuilt a few months ago using 1st gen rods and pistons with arp rod bolts. Arp head studs up top with Fp1x cams with supertech dual valve springs and retainers. When I first got the car back it would puff a cloud of blue smoke when i would start it. At first i thought it was because the car was untuned. After the tune it still did it. If i would let the car idle for over 5 min it would smoke steadily. At first it didnt smoke under boost but as time went on it started to smoke worse and worse under boost and when started after sitting for a while. Right now the head is off and going to the machine shop. The compression is good by the way. Turbo is too. Were my valve seals installed incorrectly??? Valve guides scratched??? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you guys.

I see you have a MLS head gasket. Was the block and head decked?

Well the blue smoke indicates that its oil. Did you have your balance shaft removed? Check into that if u did because if the bearing was not spun then it would cause the oil pressure to be low and the head wont get oil as it should. which would ofcourse cause u some damage up there. Also are you sure that it isnt the turbo? Is so how?

Your piston rings may also be damaged you may want to look into that. Do a leak down test it should put you a step further!

A puff of smoke on startup is usually a good sign of valve guide seals going bad. As far as smoke under boost triple check and make sure it is not your turbo. Let us know if the machine shop gives you any insight as to what they find. Good luck and I hope it works out okay for you. Travis

Every thing has been decked and the turbo is bout a year old. The car only smokes under boost for a second or two after it has sat for a while. Its almost like its still burning oil off the pistons but i would think this would be done on the starting of the car and the first couple cycles of the engine. Not too sure bout that though. The shop has got the head off and its going in to the machine shop monday where they are going to pressure test it. When i had the fp cams installed i did dual valve springs and im told the valve seals are a different style then the stock ones. We are thinking that the inner valve spring has snagged the valve seal causing the leak. I dont know if the installation is to blame. The compression was good. The bottom end is 3 months old and was built by Andre who owns Pina motorsports and he has been doing these cars for 15 years so Im pretty sure everything was gapped and installed correctly as far as the bottom end goes. The car has all the symptoms of leaky valve seals though. Will a car with leaky valve seals start to smoke bad after idling for a longer period of time????

"Will a car with leaky valve seals start to smoke bad after idling for a longer period of time????"

Yes

So you are having to add oil, correct?

Sure it is blue smoke, not black? Curious if it might be fuel, like a leaky injector seal....giving a lil too much fuel here and there. If the car sat a while then sometimes those injector seals dry out causing (leaking) excess fuel in the cylinder.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back