The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

why did i get slower times than last year?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesse_fc3

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 7, 2008
elkhart, Indiana
Car: 1995 awd
So, last year my set up was:
14b@20psi
3in apexi exhaust
FMIC
6 puck
alum flywheel
255 wally
Totally un-tuned

With that I ran 13.2s all day with 1.7 60 ft

This year i got:
FMIC
3in exhaust
act 2100 street disk
255 wally
bigger injectors
BEP S256 50 trim@23psi
maf translator gen II
tuned on dsmlink on E85 19*timing + anti-lag about 11.9 afrs (on AEM gas gauge) give or take.

With this my fastest time was a 13.5 with a 1.8 60 ft?
Can anyone make sense of this for me? I'm just so dissapointed i thought i was going to join the 12 second club for sure then...:ohdamn:

Post up some dsmlink logs. Also, that turbo is more efficient at higher boost. With e85 you can run more that that I would assume. How was your spool up? ANy leaks? I would be very disappointed as well with those times. You should be much better than 13.5. Post up logs for sure man.

Check for boost leaks, try launching at a higher RPM and drop your 60 foot time.

Car: 1995 awd
So, last year my set up was:
14b@20psi
3in apexi exhaust
FMIC
6 puck
alum flywheel
255 wally
Totally un-tuned

With that I ran 13.2s all day with 1.7 60 ft

This year i got:
FMIC
3in exhaust
act 2100 street disk
255 wally
bigger injectors
BEP S256 50 trim@23psi
maf translator gen II
tuned on dsmlink on E85 19*timing + anti-lag about 11.9 afrs (on AEM gas gauge) give or take.

With this my fastest time was a 13.5 with a 1.8 60 ft?
Can anyone make sense of this for me? I'm just so dissapointed i thought i was going to join the 12 second club for sure then...:ohdamn:

I have been running the S259 for about 2yrs on my daily driver GVR4.I love it!!! It did not "shine" till about 28 psi:thumb: I was running 23psi on Cali. 91 pump with 20* timing:D
So you should be good for 30-32psi on e85 assuming your fuel system is up to par.I run 32psi,22*timing12.0 afr's on my c16 map.Your "e85 tune" should be in the same "ballpark" TURN THE BOOST UP:sneaky:

What was your trap speeds between the runs?

traps:
13.2@100mph with the 14b 1.7 60ft
13.5@100mph with S256 50 trim 1.8 60ft

Holy shit 32 psi is scary and i cant get it to go past 24.9 psi (according to aem tru boost). The BEP has an adjustable internal waste gate and its screwed all the way in and i can unplug the vac hose and get 24.9 that's it.
I heard that the wg flapper on the bep's are kinda big so they push open when around 25 psi unless u go external gate has anyone else heard this?
I have a stock 7 bolt i know they can take some abuse but 32 psi seams kinda high for a car i drive daily

As for launching at higher rpm's, I'm on my 2nd tranny (TRE Stage II) and, like, my 4th clutch i think. I'd rather get 1.8 60 ft's all day than break another tranny or break another clutch to pieces.

I couldn't find any boost leaks, my GM maf is only reading like 1800hz at 24 psi (which is why i thought i had a leak somewhere) my buddy has a 18g putting out like 2100 hz, but hes got 272's as well, so, I don't know. I got some shaft play, would that just murder my flow rate? No smoke just some decent side to side play.

no slipping, doesn't grab like my 6 puck did, but holds its own for street disk i guess, i just put it in because jon@TRE told me he hates 6 pucks and i should just use the street disks because its cheaper to replace the clutch after you wear it out than to replace the tranny after breaking it with a 6 puck, but i definitely prefer the grab of a 6 puck.

You're obviously got something going on since...MPH is LOW...you should trap 110 ish at least.

Post some logs!

How is your traction? One of my friends doesnt like going to the track anymore becuase, with his deisel turbo he doesnt catch till 3rd AWD.

The 2100 could be slipping. I never put anything less than a 2600 in anymore. A 2100 is good for some hard driving on mostly stock power levels, any increase and a 2600 is a better idea. Have you verified full engagement? Is the small trans bolt below the starter tight and not stripped? Try pushing the clutch in and having someone inspect the trans around the bolt holes, looking for any movement.

the clutch isn't slipping. it grabs just as it should. and as for low trap speeds there was a subi that ran 11's@ 100mph all day long, tell me how that works?? I've never trapped over 100 after the 1/8th my car just feels slow i don't know why.
I'd like to post some logs but weather has been crappy here and i haven't had a chance to do any yet since the track day. They will be up soon.
As for traction I've never spun at the track until i turned the anti lag on then i spun half of 1st. but nothing ridiculous.
Another thing is it was 80* out that day hottest its been when i tuned my car it was like 50* out i think the heat affected it some what but not enough to just kill the power i dont know my head hurts from thinking about it for a weak

11's @100MPH= sand bagging. Sand bagging for those who might not know is when you let off the throttle and may even apply the brakes to get a slower ET and very low MPH.

It took trapping at 107 for me to get 12.8s. If he only trapped at 100 he wasn't on it the whole way to get an 11.

And as for your problem like everyone said we need to see logs but rough guess is that you just aren't boosting enough to be in the efficiency range for that turbo.

What were the air temps? Were you spinning?

11's@100mph i dont think so. sounds like a tune problem to me. weather is gonna play a part but not what your describing. like everyone else said upload the log.

Check for boost leaks and turn up the boost bro.I'm telling you, In a FULL WEIGHT Galant VR4 with just a bolt-on Bullseye s259,fic 850's,evo mass,ETS cooler,and 2600 w/street disk I was able to run 12.2's@114 all day long.That was running 32 psi,20*timing on c16...stock hg and bolts.The turbo felt hella slow under 24psi.It has a sweetspot around 28psi.Trust me!!!! Your afr's a lil rich for e85 also.I like to see 12.2 12.4 to make some good power.
Seriously! You should be able to CRUSH your 14b time really easy with your current set-up.
let's see your log's,obviously something is askew here.....

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back