The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Who has the last Talon ever made?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unfortunately not, but I should. Turbo FWDs are scarce too, there are 783 (1997) and 243 (1998) in CAPS (USA only, having a problem with Canada cars...)

I get errors trying to dump that VIN range though, there must be some "special" VINs with extra data fields that Mike's MVD.EXE can't handle. I'd have to manually pull out the list of VINs, put them in a list, and remove each one that crashes the MVD tool.

Last edited:
Alright, I thought I would ask. Mine was sold to me as a 1997 but when I transferred the title it came back as a 1998 per the VIN and I knew they were a limited run. I do appreciate the numbers you referenced. I am happy to own a first year and a last year car, makes it neat. Even neater is the fact my Laser was built the same day, same factory as my 90 Talon, even the same color.

Alright, I thought I would ask. Mine was sold to me as a 1997 but when I transferred the title it came back as a 1998 per the VIN and I knew they were a limited run. I do appreciate the numbers you referenced. I am happy to own a first year and a last year car, makes it neat. Even neater is the fact my Laser was built the same day, same factory as my 90 Talon, even the same color.

WAS able to get the USA turbo FWDs out of CAPS. The build dates are messed up, and when I include the Canadian VINs it crashes :(
goo.gl/vZ6hUs

So the 1026 count of 2Gb FWD Turbo Talons is only the US cars. If the same proportion of USA:CANADA cars is the same as with the AWD batch, then add about 30% to the 1026 number to get a rough idea of how many total there are.

Last edited:
Does VIN #4E3AK54F5WE030075 crash it? I took a picture of my vin out of curiosity.

Notice his LINK, Thanks jsmcpn!!! :thumb: https://goo.gl/vZ6hUs
Is there anyway to add data to that database? I'd fill in mine.

Thanks, I will try to fill in all I can about my '98. Appreciate the hard work!

Does VIN #4E3AK54F5WE030075 crash it? I took a picture of my vin out of curiosity.

Nope, yours doesn't crash the app. None of the USDM FWDs do.
Black USDM 98 FWD 5-speed, built 97.09.1, gray leather. How many miles on it?

The problem with MVD.exe is that it can't handle "special" rows where the VINs have extra data columns that the rest of the cars don't. This seems mostly related to pre-production vehicles (if my educated guess is correct) that have very low "last 5 digits", for example:

4E3AL54F0VE000056
4E3AL54F2VE000057
4E3AL54F2VE000060
4E3AL54F3VE000066

MVD crashes before even showing the data, so I have no clue what color they are or what transmissions they had. The app has no option to "continue on error" so it just crashes on the first error it encounters. When I run it against the Canada FWDs it dies after only a few rows. I *CAN* manually extract all the VINs and wrap MVD.exe in a script that will continue on errors, but it takes a LOT of manual eye-blurring labor to do so.

Maybe some snowy day when I have nothing else to do... I've got the source code to MVD.exe so maybe I can work out an error handling routine - it would save many hours of manual regex searching.

ANYONE GOOD AT C PROGRAMMING? I'm just an amateur. Source code attached.

Attachments

• MVD.C.txt
    54 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
I can't remember the mileage, it is sitting outside of my garage waiting on good weather for a motor swap out. I am thinking it is around 150000 but I can fill it in. It sure was a nice driving car for the two weeks that it ran after I bought it so I am kinda anxious to get her running again. Problems on the '90 build keep creeping up and that has put other projects on hold unfortunately. I here you on the "some snowy day maybe" and understand all the time it takes so what you have done is very much appreciated. :talon: :thumb:

Hmmm, I shouldn't have said "maybe some snowy day" on Tuesday... Wednesday I got 31 inches!

And no... I spent the day digging snow, not digging for VINs :)

Wait, lets see if that works again: "Maybe some day after I am the sole winner of the PowerBall jackpot..."

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Now there ya go, that's the attitude to have!!!! :thumb: Luckily we missed that stuff here in South East KS!!!

I just noticed... the very last USDM AWD Talon ever made was 4E3AL54F3WE079532 - 1998 Green Automatic, gray leather, California emissions equipped. It happens to be the one and only USDM AWD Talon built in the year 1998.
Last Cali smog test was in 2008, maybe it moved to a different state?

All other USDM AWD Talons were built in 1997 or earlier. I wonder if this one took a little longer than it should have... The CAPS build week is 1998.01.1, and the only other AWD Talons made in 1998 were Canadian market cars, completed within 40 days after the new year began.

Last edited:
Maybe maybe not... I'd need several 1991 Talon VINs of the type you're wondering about in order to make sure my query would pull the right dataset, and no guarantees the query won't crash the app. PM me if you know a few!

Is there a data base for the 1G a/b Talons w/ options ... I am curious to see how mine stacks up ..... 1G/B may92 6/4 LSD wABS non sunroof power everything ... I rarely see any like mine being ABS and LSD rear, ...but I may know were that last AWD auto Talon is located but I am tracking down the owner as it may be up for sale and if it is ...Its all mine ..LOL

we should also try and find the first dsm ever made
Hey guys, most if not all this has been provided for on this site one time or another. It may take some creative searching but it is there. Plus all significant milestones at the plant were photographed. First car produced, first car exported, 1,000,000 car, 2,000,000 car, last car model runs, etc.

note: vins have no place in assembly other that build sheets (QC purposes). A vin can be assigned(earmarked if you will) then go through assembly 4 even 6 months later(lead time).

couple notables:

The first car to roll off the line at the plant was a red 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse, which was given to then-Gov. Jim Thompson, who helped bring the factory to the Twin Cities. Thompson bought the first Plymouth Laser (black) off the line for his wife, Jayne. See entry September 1988 (These two cars for the Governor were Job #1)

The cars can be seen at the opening ceremony.
http://www.mitsubishimanufacturing.com/about/history/index.asp

The champagne car always brought out at MMNA Owners day is actually an H24S, pre-production model with an unconventional VIN(several H24S were made, pretty standard fair for production). The first two Commercial production cars went to the governor.

I bought a 98 TSi AWD all original from an older woman 1 owner car. She definitely wasn't on here as she wasn't an enthusiast. But the vin was up there with 42K miles as last known. I submitted an update with all the features and specs but I wonder how he got her data. Was he able to obtain DMV records? Very weird.

@DRAGIN In many states, information about USA VIN numbers is public, or at least quasi-public to the extent that it can be purchased or "scraped". Eventually, all states must "federate" this data up to a nationwide database. Most states have already completed their data connector to the federated system.

So here's the deal, the last 6 of your VIN is your production/serial number. It tells you what number your car was for that year. My car was number 45,128 (October 2007). Who has a Talon, especially an AWD Talon, with a higher last 6 of the VIN?

The goal of this thread is to find who has the last Talon ever made (on 'Tuners).

Edit: According to SpawnedX, only 5% of Talons in '98 were AWD, putting the number at 215.
Mine is 074948

I've never even bothered checking any of mine, scraped every 1ga ive had an only 2gbs ive got have 97 build dates. I do wish I would have saved the only 89 1ga talon I ever found tho. Non hood bulge car 1.8ltr 5 speed, just for the neatness of it. She went in the crusher in 2019 in Central saskatchewan. Another first year irreplaceable dsm gone, didnt even save the hood, hind sights a pita.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back