The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Which transmission should I get?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EclipticalGS

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 25, 2008
walker, Michigan
As the title states, which transmission should I get??

I am in the middle of an AWD swap and am looking for some answers.

None of these parts are on my car yet, but they will be going on over this weekend and the next, as they are piling up in my garage. I just want to include this list because it tells you what Im working with.

Manley I beams, Wiseco HD pistons 9:1
.020 over 6-bolt, 2G head w/ oil port mod, and my own porting.
Kelford 272's w/ hks adjustable gears and belt
Kiggly beehives,ti-retainers, ss valves, 3g lifters.
OEM front case/tensioners/ water pump, etc.
FIC1600's with twin wally 255's.
Top mount twinscroll t3 manifold (should be finished in 3 weeks)
Holset Hx-40 with T3 bep housing
Evo Intake mani, Billet TB
Ecmlink V3

I plan to make 550awhp or close to that with E85. Realistically I will go for more at the dyno though.
Im not really anticipating any certain 1/4 times just yet.

All I want is to have a transmission that is going to keep up with abuse, and also be forgiving while driving.
I currently put about 1000 miles every 2 months on this car, and am driving around with a the PTT twindisk..
As much fun as it is to drive like that FWD..No, I take that back.

Anwyays, Are there any benfits of getting the Dogbox racing transmission that has the dogbox engagement? Versus getting the Shep trans Dog box tranny??

I want a bulletproof transmission for this build and it's really helical verse straight cut.

Unless someone here recommends that a TRE stage 3 or something else can suit my needs...But beware I do plan to go bigger next season and I would rather buy a tranny once!!

Thanks for the help guys!!

It depends which dogbox you get. The dogbox racing version with the faceplated gears is going to shift great, but still have the tooth shearing issues that all dsm transmissions have. The shep dogbox is a ppg straight cut gearset, and much stronger. I'm not sure if dogbox racing sells the ppg gearset, or just faceplated stock gears.
This is what you get from shep. 1st to 4th DRAG set for Evo 1-3 - Pfitzner Performance Gearbox

There is no such thhing as a bulletproof dsm transmission....it just doesn't exist, period.

I've had a tre#3 in my car for well over 20k miles and probably close to 100 passes without a problem. At the end ofof the day it all depends on you and how you drive.

Last edited:
It depends which dogbox you get. The dogbox racing version with the faceplated gears is going to shift great, but still have the tooth shearing issues that all dsm transmissions have. The shep dogbox is a ppg straight cut gearset, and much stronger. I'm not sure if dogbox racing sells the ppg gearset, or just faceplated stock gears.
This is what you get from shep. 1st to 4th DRAG set for Evo 1-3 - Pfitzner Performance Gearbox

Yeah that's what Ive heard the Dogbox-racing uses evo gearset with dog box engagement. They do say 800whp~650wtq though which is pretty impressive nonetheless..Im not sure of either of those now that I really weigh it in, are really worth it if you know what I mean. I do appreciate the link though and I have 3 weeks to decide.

There is no such thhing as a bulletproof dsm transmission....it just doesn't exist, period.

I've had a tre#3 in my car for well over 20k miles and probably close to 100 passes without a problem. At the end ofof the day it all depends on you and how you drive.

Same exact tranny that I am currently installing, any tips or info you can share about it?

OP- Give John at TRE a call and he will help you decide on the tranny that will suit you.

Same exact tranny that I am currently installing, any tips or info you can share about it?

OP- Give John at TRE a call and he will help you decide on the tranny that will suit you.

Yeah that's what Im going to do. Eviltsi has already persuaded me. Thanks though I appreciate it.

But I would also like to know of Evil has a 4-spider or welded center.

Yeah that's what Im going to do. Eviltsi has already persuaded me. Thanks though I appreciate it.

That's what pm's are perfect for:thumb:

Dont get pissed off if he does not pick up the phone the first few tries. Sooner or later you will get ahold of him. But they are awesome tranny's! And personally the welded center in my eyes is the way to go!

Not really, take it easy for 500 miles or so and change the fluid at about the same point. I've always used diaqueen in it, but we've had great results with mt90 as well. When I bought the stage 3 there was no stage 4, it's more like the 4....

And yes John is a very hard man to get a hold of, but when you do you will see why. He is not only going to talk your ear off but he is full of knowlegde...one of the most knowlegdable people ive ever spoke to.

And yes, welded diff.

Not really, take it easy for 500 miles or so and change the fluid at about the same point. I've always used diaqueen in it, but we've had great results with mt90 as well. When I bought the stage 3 there was no stage 4, it's more like the 4....

And yes John is a very hard man to get a hold of, but when you do you will see why. He is not only going to talk your ear off but he is full of knowlegde...one of the most knowlegdable people ive ever spoke to.

And yes, welded diff.

Yeah when I finally got ahold of him, it was over an hour on the phone. When someone gets into the physics of fluids, I trust that person. And he is the type of person who does not want to see your tranny back so they are built to last. I bought the 2.5 Which he now calls the stage 3, the feel of it is amazing.

Ok, I trust your statements. So I should probably jsut keep my twin disk then aye?

Thanks for all the help!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back