The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Which is the Best LSD?? Kaaz or Quaife??

Which LSD? Kaaz or Quaife?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99gst_racer

Apr 5, 2003
Coloma, Michigan
OK guys, my tranny is on Sheps bench right now. I need your guys' opinions. Which limited slip differential should I go with?? Kaaz or Quaife?? The Kaaz is about $100 cheaper.... My goals with the car are 330-350 HP and it's a FWD street car, not a race car. Please let me know asap, I have to call him back very soon.

Thanks -Paul- :dsm:

My money would be on the Quaife as it allows slip under power. The Kaaz locks under power, so it's like running a spool. For turning corners the former is preferable, although for straight lines I'd think the Kaaz would be fine too.

The Kaaz is a great rear diff under all conditions, but I would run helical diffs centre and front, due to the effects around corners.

Charles

how much does the quaife lsd cost?

As with so many things, you are likely to get a biased opinion. The guy who spent $1000 on the quaife, or the shop that sells it will tell you it is way better. I do not like how the Quaife will turn back into an open diff. if one wheel leaves the ground for any reason. Not so important for 1/4 mile, but if your taking that off ramp at 90 and hit a crack, your quaife is going to choke. Kazz wont do anything like that, but it may require more matinence. Seems like the Kazz is a little more race inspired. Extreeme consistancy with that clutch type. Plus dont you want 2 clutches in your car? haha ( dude fuk your 2600, my trans has 2 different clutches! ) The quaife/torsen is maybe better for a daily driver type? It is difficult to find quality comparrisons of the two, and as good as that article above from magnus is, they do only sell the KAAZ. :rolleyes: I am still voting KAAZ without actually driving either. That would be the only reliable insight... someone who has driven both, but we have no way to prove that. Anyone wanna try? BTW: What does driving a 2004 SRT tell you about comparing Quaife to KAAZ? We already know that a LSD equipped differential is better than an open one so, WTF?

i'm voting kaaz for the simple fact that it's cheaper and i haven't heard of any tranny's being destroyed by it to this day. i can't say the same for the quaife.

telly699 said:
As with so many things, you are likely to get a biased opinion. The guy who spent $1000 on the quaife, or the shop that sells it will tell you it is way better. I do not like how the Quaife will turn back into an open diff. if one wheel leaves the ground for any reason. Not so important for 1/4 mile, but if your taking that off ramp at 90 and hit a crack, your quaife is going to choke. Kazz wont do anything like that, but it may require more matinence. Seems like the Kazz is a little more race inspired. Extreeme consistancy with that clutch type. Plus dont you want 2 clutches in your car? haha ( dude ### your 2600, my trans has 2 different clutches! ) The quaife/torsen is maybe better for a daily driver type? It is difficult to find quality comparrisons of the two, and as good as that article above from magnus is, they do only sell the KAAZ. :rolleyes: I am still voting KAAZ without actually driving either. That would be the only reliable insight... someone who has driven both, but we have no way to prove that. Anyone wanna try? BTW: What does driving a 2004 SRT tell you about comparing Quaife to KAAZ? We already know that a LSD equipped differential is better than an open one so, WTF?

I need which ever is better for a daily driver ( and an occasional 1320 run). I was hesitant about the Kaaz, because it is a clutch style LSD. Holeshots can easily take the life out of a clutch and I dont want a high maintenence LSD. I am not the "road racer type, hanging 1.1g corners", so that means nothing to me. Is the Kaaz better for street and occasional strip, or is the Quaife better or that??

IMHO the KAAZ would be better on a road/ autox car where there is a chance the car might lift a wheel in a corner. The Quaife is best for a street/occasional drag car because it doesn't hinder daily drivability at all.

Mavisky, Have you heard of FRONT Quaife's harming any DSM trannies? I haven't. I have heard reports from all the way back to the TalonDigest days of Quaife CENTER diffs blowing up and taking the tranny out.

telly699 said:
As with so many things, you are likely to get a biased opinion. The guy who spent $1000 on the quaife, or the shop that sells it will tell you it is way better. I do not like how the Quaife will turn back into an open diff. if one wheel leaves the ground for any reason. Not so important for 1/4 mile, but if your taking that off ramp at 90 and hit a crack, your quaife is going to choke. Kazz wont do anything like that, but it may require more matinence. Seems like the Kazz is a little more race inspired. Extreeme consistancy with that clutch type. Plus dont you want 2 clutches in your car? haha ( dude fuk your 2600, my trans has 2 different clutches! ) The quaife/torsen is maybe better for a daily driver type? It is difficult to find quality comparrisons of the two, and as good as that article above from magnus is, they do only sell the KAAZ. :rolleyes: I am still voting KAAZ without actually driving either. That would be the only reliable insight... someone who has driven both, but we have no way to prove that. Anyone wanna try? BTW: What does driving a 2004 SRT tell you about comparing Quaife to KAAZ? We already know that a LSD equipped differential is better than an open one so, WTF?

becasue the the 2004 SRT-4 uses a Quaife LSD

pneumo said:
IMHO the KAAZ would be better on a road/ autox car where there is a chance the car might lift a wheel in a corner. The Quaife is best for a street/occasional drag car because it doesn't hinder daily drivability at all.

Mavisky, Have you heard of FRONT Quaife's harming any DSM trannies? I haven't. I have heard reports from all the way back to the TalonDigest days of Quaife CENTER diffs blowing up and taking the tranny out.

no front diff reports, all center diffs here. but i'm not taking my chances on being the first i know of.

DSMSpyder99 said:
becasue the the 2004 SRT-4 uses a Quaife LSD

:rolleyes: yes we all know that already, but unless you've driven one with a kaaz diff in it as well all you've really done is compare a quaife to an open differential, and no matter how bad the quaife worked it would still have worked better than an open diff.

pneumo said:

Yes, I agree with this. I did a little more research on the two plus I called Shep and asked him. And that is basically what he told me. Both are excellent, but Kaaz is more for racing and Quaife is more streetable. Also, Quaife is less maintenence.

pneumo said:

Shep also said he's never seen a Quaife front diff. explode and ruin the tranny in the 10 years he's been doing this. I trust his recomendations, so I went ahead and ordered the Quaife. I should have my tranny back within the next 7 days. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

Now all we need is for someone with a KaaZ to go dirve your car, and you need to drive his. That way we can have a decent comparrison. ( SRT4 Quiaf guy: take note )

pneumo said:
Does anyone on this board have a Kaaz in their car?

Good buddy of mine had one in his FWD and loved it. The main problem he had with the quiaffe was the fact that it would lose power under load. Also the Kaaz is rebuildable which he had already done once.

I dont know if this helps much. But i've heard a lot of good things about kaaz, not once have i heard ne thing bad about it. I've heard a few bad thigns about Quaife. Its always the same thign i hear, it loses power when one wheeel comes off the ground and is not rebuildable. I personally am going w/ kaaz.

pneumo said:
Does anyone on this board have a Kaaz in their car?

Yeah Shep uses the Kaaz. He said it is much more aggressive. More for racing than daily driving. He said it's loud when driving slow because the plates are releasing. He loves it and recommends it, but for my car, he said to go with the Quaife. Both are very nice and both are designed defferently and operate differently. The quaife shouldn't ever need rebuilding, whereas the Kazz might eventually. I think I would be happy with either one though.......

99gst_racer said:
Yeah Shep uses the Kaaz. He said it is much more aggressive. More for racing than daily driving. He said it's loud when driving slow because the plates are releasing. He loves it and recommends it, but for my car, he said to go with the Quaife. Both are very nice and both are designed defferently and operate differently. The quaife shouldn't ever need rebuilding, whereas the Kazz might eventually. I think I would be happy with either one though.......

I never noticed anything loud about the FWD that I rode in using the KAAZ.

http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/kaazvstorsen.asp

Let us know how it works out. Help us guys with FWD's out:)

DSMNightmare said:
I never noticed anything loud about the FWD that I rode in using the KAAZ.

http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/kaazvstorsen.asp

Fro what Shep told me, you have to run Kaaz fluid in it to even get the warranty. Also, they require you to do like 6 or 8 heavy figure-eights in a parking lot after installation. This helps "move" the fluid around between the discs. If you dont do this, (like many dont), then yes, it will be very loud. But mostly at parking lot "putting" speeds. Shep's is loud he said. Doesnt sound very streetable, IMO.

BTW, I just got my tranny back from Shep today and it's got my Quaife LSD in her. I'll have it in by Monday, so I'll let you guys know how she feels.

-Paul-

99gst_racer said:
Fro what Shep told me, you have to run Kaaz fluid in it to even get the warranty. Also, they require you to do like 6 or 8 heavy figure-eights in a parking lot after installation. This helps "move" the fluid around between the discs. If you dont do this, (like many dont), then yes, it will be very loud. But mostly at parking lot "putting" speeds. Shep's is loud he said. Doesnt sound very streetable, IMO.

BTW, I just got my tranny back from Shep today and it's got my Quaife LSD in her. I'll have it in by Monday, so I'll let you guys know how she feels.

-Paul-

I'm just saying that I have ridden in a FWD car with a Kaaz LSD and it was not loud. Also I know the guy broke his in right because it f'ed up on him and Kaaz replaced it no questions asked.

DSMNightmare said:
I'm just saying that I have ridden in a FWD car with a Kaaz LSD and it was not loud. Also I know the guy broke his in right because it f'ed up on him and Kaaz replaced it no questions asked.

I'm not saying they are all annoyingly loud, but Kazz diff's are known to be louder than torsion style diff's. Just curious, What exactly f'ed up on your friends diff.??

A quaife is more streetable because it is more like an open diff and less like a spool, especially in normal driving.

A kazz is better for drag racing because it locks harder and faster.

kpt4321 said:
A quaife is more streetable because it is more like an open diff and less like a spool, especially in normal driving.

A kazz is better for drag racing because it locks harder and faster.

Also, the buddy of mine liked it better for cornering because the Kaaz does not loose power when the load transfers. As for what happend to his diff I'm not sure. The guy is a frickin rocket scientist though. Never worked on a DSM ever and he just picks up a transmission manual and learns to rebuild it himself. He originally paid to have the diff put in but after it broke I don't think he wanted to pay twice. He has had zero problems since he got the new diff and did the tranny himself.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back