The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Which camshafts to get for auto 1g?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talontsiboy24

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 28, 2009
60457, Illinois
I have a auto 1g with a big 16g turbo and i wanna put some cams in it but dont know what would be best? My buddies were saying kelford 264/260 or gsc? I want something to really help my car out since its auto and i know thats what is slowing my setup down now is having stock cams. But i wanna get some good ones that arent gonna hurt my pocket that much and will last.

Last edited:
I can't give you the "right answer" but from my experience when I switched to 272s the car felt somewhat "Torque less" compared to the stock cams in the mid range. I'd imagine an auto might feel gutless on the 272s outside of full throttle.

Fill out your profile, so we can help you better. Not knowing your mods (other then 16g auto) is going to net you a lot of wrong answers. Are you still on the stock converter? shift kit in the trans? Lot's of info needed before anyone can give you a solid answer.

What's your goals for your car first? I put 272 on my automatic gst and did not like the response down low but it had more power up top. If it just a street/dd car 264 is the way to go. dks are delta regrinds. Delta make similar cam regrinds of hks and kelford

Fill out your profile, so we can help you better. Not knowing your mods (other then 16g auto) is going to net you a lot of wrong answers. Are you still on the stock converter? shift kit in the trans? Lot's of info needed before anyone can give you a solid answer.

oh sorry

Stock 6bolt
Stock pistons
Stock rods
ARP headbolts, mainbolts and rodbolts
MLS headgasket
Prothane mounts

Built automatic with shift kit and IPT 4000RPM Stall

Big 16g Turbo with clipped turbine wheel
3" intake pipe 2g mafs
3" core fmic kit 2.5piping 1g bov
Stock intake manifold
3" dp and 3" exhaust no cat
Ported 2g manifold ported 1g o2 housing but upgrading the o2 to something better
ngkme77 wires ngk bpr7es plugs
Rewired Walbro 190 fuel pump PTE 680cc injectors
hallman pro mbc

Thats pretty much it and suspension is stock besides rims. My goal is to put down the most i can with the setup and be able to topend cause my car sucks i notice myself winning and then the person racing me catching up fast i guess its because the cams help with topend? I want it to be a fast street car and sometimes a dd.

I just put in a set of FP2s I got used off a buddy. I love em. The exhaust note sounds awesome now, very deep. Not much lope at idle though so if thats what you want go with something else. I didn't notice much loss in low end power but top end is way better, revs real fast to redline and pulls hard. Pretty much if I lay into the gas above 50% in first or second and above 5k in third just results in massive wheel spin but im fwd :notgood:

Last edited by a moderator:
What's your goals for your car first? I put 272 on my automatic gst and did not like the response down low but it had more power up top. If it just a street/dd car 264 is the way to go. dks are delta regrinds. Delta make similar cam regrinds of hks and kelford

My goal is to put down the most i can with the setup i have now and be able to topend cause my car sucks i notice myself winning at the beginning and then the person racing me catching up and passing me up i guess its because the cams help with topend? I want it to be a fast street car and sometimes a dd.

Brian Crower 272's are a good cam bro. ExtremePSI is having a sale on them too I believe

Brian Crower 272's are a good cam bro. ExtremePSI is having a sale on them too I believe

Brian Crowers are the absolute WORST cams you could ever put in your car. EVER.

I have HKS 272's, I lost a little bit down low but not enough to cry about. Gained a lot through mid range and high end. I'd say go with HKS straight 272 cams, that way if you decide to go to a bigger turbo down the road you already have cams for it.

Brian Crowers are the absolute WORST cams you could ever put in your car. EVER.

I have HKS 272's, I lost a little bit down low but not enough to cry about. Gained a lot through mid range and high end. I'd say go with HKS straight 272 cams, that way if you decide to go to a bigger turbo down the road you already have cams for it.

Are you kidding me guy? I have used Brian Crower 272's in EVERY single build I've done and never had a problem with them at all.

oh sorry

Stock 6bolt
Stock pistons
Stock rods
ARP headbolts, mainbolts and rodbolts
MLS headgasket
Prothane mounts

Built automatic with shift kit and IPT 4000RPM Stall

Big 16g Turbo with clipped turbine wheel
3" intake pipe 2g mafs
3" core fmic kit 2.5piping 1g bov
Stock intake manifold
3" dp and 3" exhaust no cat
Ported 2g manifold ported 1g o2 housing but upgrading the o2 to something better
ngkme77 wires ngk bpr7es plugs
Rewired Walbro 190 fuel pump PTE 680cc injectors
hallman pro mbc

Thats pretty much it and suspension is stock besides rims. My goal is to put down the most i can with the setup and be able to topend cause my car sucks i notice myself winning and then the person racing me catching up fast i guess its because the cams help with topend? I want it to be a fast street car and sometimes a dd.

Sounds like a decent build. What are you using to tune? Do you have a wideband? What boost level are you at? I know from experience (many builds and tunes) that the big 16g is def. not going to make power much past 5800 to 6200 rpm. I assume your still using the stock 1g intake manifold and throttle body? What is the line pressure for the trans? Are you using a chipped TCU? Not that it makes much difference in choosing a camshaft, but the more I know about YOUR car, the better I can suggest. As of right now a "272" cam would be a good choice. The Kelford 272's are going to be a little to much for that turbo (low end torque taking quite a hit with that kind of duration), like someone mentioned a Comp (or FP2) would be a good choice. Also look into the GSC s2 cam. I'm hesitant to recommend anything with more then say 220 degree's of duration, because of being auto. You might actually be better off with a set of HKS 264/272 combo's and spend some time with a set of adjustable cam gears. You really need to be concerned with your mid range power band (especially with the auto) in the 3700 to 5700 rpm range. I don't want to get anymore technical than I already have, just trying to keep it semi- simple for you, while giving the best advice I can. Also, do you plan on running a bigger turbo anytime soon? That would change things somewhat, as you'll be looking a different "power band"..

Sounds like a decent build. What are you using to tune? Do you have a wideband? What boost level are you at? I know from experience (many builds and tunes) that the big 16g is def. not going to make power much past 5800 to 6200 rpm. I assume your still using the stock 1g intake manifold and throttle body? What is the line pressure for the trans? Are you using a chipped TCU? Not that it makes much difference in choosing a camshaft, but the more I know about YOUR car, the better I can suggest. As of right now a "272" cam would be a good choice. The Kelford 272's are going to be a little to much for that turbo (low end torque taking quite a hit with that kind of duration), like someone mentioned a Comp (or FP2) would be a good choice. Also look into the GSC s2 cam. I'm hesitant to recommend anything with more then say 220 degree's of duration, because of being auto. You might actually be better off with a set of HKS 264/272 combo's and spend some time with a set of adjustable cam gears. You really need to be concerned with your mid range power band (especially with the auto) in the 3700 to 5700 rpm range. I don't want to get anymore technical than I already have, just trying to keep it semi- simple for you, while giving the best advice I can. Also, do you plan on running a bigger turbo anytime soon? That would change things somewhat, as you'll be looking a different "power band"..
Right now i just got a custom eprom ecu chip for my mods and yes i have a wideband at 22-24psi im at 10.8-11.1 wot. Yes stock intake manifold. i dont know the line pressure for my trans. And yes i might just might go with a bigger turbo but not sure i just want this to move even more and i know with cams i will be really good.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back