The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

where to buy syncro

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I let Dave know. He's a trusted member over there that I have dealt with and done business with. He knows his tranny stuff.

MB

1st and second gear you have to go aftermarket. you will have to buy a full synchro kit and i recommend replacing all of them becuase you will be getting Brass stop rings. At that point you will be running gear lube...no more ATF4 since it will no longer work well enough.

3-5 are available from the dealer and last i checked were 40.00 each. You have to ask for stop rings and not Synchro. If you ask for a synchro they will hand you the slider assy which is 240.00 and 270.00 each respectively.

I might have a full brass set at home if you want me to check. I installed them and made the attempts to Run ATF4 and it didnt work. The fluid is just not thick enough, i pulled them out the next day. They are perfectly good.

Here is a place to order a kit. Its not where i ordered mine but it seems liek they have more parts availble

New Venture A578 5 speed FWD Manual transmission parts and overhaul kits - Drivetrain.com

1st and second gear you have to go aftermarket. you will have to buy a full synchro kit and i recommend replacing all of them becuase you will be getting Brass stop rings. At that point you will be running gear lube...no more ATF4 since it will no longer work well enough.

3-5 are available from the dealer and last i checked were 40.00 each. You have to ask for stop rings and not Synchro. If you ask for a synchro they will hand you the slider assy which is 240.00 and 270.00 each respectively.

I might have a full brass set at home if you want me to check. I installed them and made the attempts to Run ATF4 and it didnt work. The fluid is just not thick enough, i pulled them out the next day. They are perfectly good.

Here is a place to order a kit. Its not where i ordered mine but it seems liek they have more parts availble

New Venture A578 5 speed FWD Manual transmission parts and overhaul kits - Drivetrain.com

So u brought the drivetrain shop synro, with atf4 it didn't work to great but with gear oil it worked? What weight didt u use? I'm asking because I have the kit and 3rd doesn't go in gear. The shop saythey installed it correct.

ATF4 is only used on the factory style stop ring becuase the factory stop rings have a fiber type friction material.

Brass Stop rings have always required the use of Gear lube. In the summer you might run as heavy of a fluid as 140wt and in the winter we typically dropped to 90wt. In my antique 4 speed which I rebuilt run a 140 all the time but that car is not sitting in the cold much.

I cant say i expected the Rings to work with ATF4 but I did consider the fact that maybe the manufacture made the friction areas a bit thicker to accomodate the use of factory type fluid. They did not. The rings in the kit are the very same rings i use in my 1969 mopar 4 speed.

After you install the brass stop rings you are going ot have to run standard gear lube. try a 90wt and if that scratches during speed shifting then in the summer up the weight to 140wt.

If the trans wont go into gear at all....then you have another problem. Fluid viscosity will affect the speed you can shift. If you cant shift into 3rd gear even slowly then something else is wrong. The gears themselves do wear since hte friction material is grabbing them everytime you shift. The shop should have taken third gear and placed the stop ring on and measured the clearance of the gear face to the stop ring face to make sure it is within spec. if its too small then you need a third gear too.

Sorry haven't been drive the car ina while . When I fisrt start driving after it sit for a day, it shift with no problem for the first mile r so. When after that that thrid gets harder to get into. After 4 miles I can't get into 3rd at all.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back