1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Where is the fuel cutoff on a 1997 gst spyder?

Posted by Brian O Conner, Jan 17, 2012

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. Brian O Conner

Brian O Conner Proven Member

Joined May 8, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    This is for a friend who has this. Where is the fuel cutoff? I tried searching nothing on here and google, Diagrams would be helpful.

1K  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    manual · 2G DSM
  2. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 13, 2004
    North Bay Area, California
    Try the main 100amp fuse. That should do the trick. ;)

Can you describe further what it is you're looking for? Or why? It almost sounds like you're looking for a switch, which could prove difficult.

1K  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  3. NHerron

NHerron Proven Member

Joined Nov 5, 2011
    Missoula, Montana
    Well lately, I've been working with this on my '97 GSX so I hope this helps.

In the engine bay, the fuse box has a 30A 'moteur' (nope, not a typo) fuse in it. For me, pulling this will turn off the main voltage pins going to the ECU pins 12 & 25. At the same time, it disables the fuel pump relay. I needed the ecu on but NOT the fuel pump (engine was out the car), so pulling that fuse wouldn't work for me. I traced some things and found there is the set of MPI relays behind the passenger left kick panel. The one with the red wires is for the ECU. However, the other relay is for the fuel pump. Just disconnect that. Or pull the 30A fuse, but you won't have the ECU.

Here's a pic:

The 2 relays are behind that brace there, held on with the 2 bolts seen in the pic.

820fee69.jpg

1K  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    11.230 @ 127.000 · 2G DSM
  4. Brian O Conner

Brian O Conner Proven Member

Joined May 8, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    Thanks guys, the dude is one of my best friends and I respect him for getting a project so I will help him out as much as possible.

Fuel pump turnoff relay is the more descriptive version.

1K  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    manual · 2G DSM
  5. Fattyhampton11

Fattyhampton11 Probationary Member

Joined Oct 13, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    See the problem is that the car will start, but won't turn over. After investigating a little bit I found that the fuel pump was not getting any juice to it at all. So do you think that replacing the fuel pump relay would fix that problem? I recently was working on this car a few months back and the pump was fine and it started right up. But now its not getting any juice to it and it has just set in one spot so it doesnt make much since

165  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    · 2G DSM
  6. NHerron

NHerron Proven Member

Joined Nov 5, 2011
    Missoula, Montana
    You should test the relay first as it may be expensive. Very simple.

And the ECU turns on the FP relay AS LONG AS it is receiving pulses from the cam sensor or when the key is first cycled to run.

You mean the car will crank but not start right?

1K  0

7. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 13, 2004
    North Bay Area, California

1K  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  8. NHerron

NHerron Proven Member

Joined Nov 5, 2011
    Missoula, Montana
    PieEyedPiper, I was under the impression the rewired pump is still being controlled by the mfi relay hence ECU. I also have a rewire kit with relay next to the pump, but is still controlled by the mfi and - ultimately the ECU.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

1K  0

9. Fattyhampton11

Fattyhampton11 Probationary Member

Joined Oct 13, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    Correct with it will crank but wont start. I have a 98 spyder gst too so i'll swap the relay from it to my 97 and see if that works. I'm sure the relays are compatible correct? That would save me some hassle though of having to check other things or buy a new one if its not needed

165  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    · 2G DSM
  10. greyspyder117

greyspyder117 Proven Member

Joined Oct 13, 2008
    Bronx, New York
    I think you should check that fuse... If you can scan the car and see if it has codes. I am pretty sure if you have a cam or crank fault it would show up. Do you have a check engine light where you just turn the key on to Acc? The relay is in the middle of that circuit go to the beginning since you already tested the end of it. (fuel pump) What did you use to check for voltage at the fuel pump?

greyspyder117

271  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  11. NHerron

NHerron Proven Member

Joined Nov 5, 2011
    Missoula, Montana
    Yes sir they are. You can give us more details so you don't have to go hunting around

1K  0