The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Where is my problem? Fuel pump, Pressure Regulator, or something else

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mham2k

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 8, 2008
Dallas, Texas
So I have had lots of issues tuning issues with be idle so I forced the car to stay in open loop, then magically my issues were fixes I thought.

Fuel: e85, rest is in my car bio

This.workednfor.about 30 minutes, Idle is fine but when I drive the car sputters and goes lean.

Test #1: Over compensate global fuel. This worked for a few miles then guess what, sputtering again.

Test #2: Raise fuel pressure, same thing raise it 10 psi from 43.5. then guess what worked for a while then stopped.

Test #3: Pressurize fpr to see if it raises, yep it raises. Not sure if it is 100% 1:1 but it definitely made the fuel pressure go up.

Test #4: Boost leak test, I only get 13psi when testing at throttle body and hear air coming through the crank case and out.the dipstick. PCV is fine, I assume this was due to it being a new build with about 60 miles on it, rings probably aren't sealed yet. I don't have any smoke coming out of the exhaust. There is some air coming from the top of the fpr, I put Teflon tape on it but need to do another boost leak test to verify it worked. No air coming from anywhere else.

Test #5: Pull the fuel pump and inspect. Not done yet, will do soon

Test #6: Pull and test injectors

No matter what tune is in it, no matter what glob fuel, no matter what I do with the software there is something mechanical wrong. Before I go buy a new pump or a new fpr I would like some smart people to give me some more thing I can test.

It's either a problem with the pump (aeromotive ), the fpr, or a vacuum leak somewhere that I can't find.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
When you say you are driving, are you just driving normally in town or are you getting on boost, when the car goes lean? You need to turn the car off and activate the fuel pump and then put 30 psi of air to the FPR. Then see if it is a 1 to 1 rising rate.

Also, what does your wideband read when the car starts sputtering?

When you say you are driving, are you just driving normally in town or are you getting on boost, when the car goes lean? You need to turn the car off and activate the fuel pump and then put 30 psi of air to the FPR. Then see if it is a 1 to 1 rising rate.

Also, what does your wideband read when the car starts sputtering?
Driving no boost sputters, when I try to go above 2500. Wideband reads lean.

I don't have anything to test to see if it's rising 1:1 but I did push some air through it and it rises. I have a cheap tire pump that auto cuts off that's why I can see exactly. So when I set the pump to 30 and put air in the regulator it rises but not exactly sure how much because it happens and cuts off so fast.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back