The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Where can I buy more boost fluid?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoUd91tsiFWD

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 22, 2002
NE_Kentucky
Hi all,
I recently purchased a 91 talon with the turbo. When I drove it, I could never feel the turbo give any power and the guy said it just needed some more boost fluid. He told me to look at the guage, and when I gave it some gas, it never reached boost and he said that meant it was empty. He didn't want too much for it and it was a 5 spd (what I wanted) so I bought the car for $2300 and got it home. Well the next day I looked around forever, but could not tell where I need to fill back up the boost. I saw some lines going into the turbo, so I am pretty sure that is where it needs to go.
The only problem now is that I cannot seem to find any of the fluid at my local auto parts stores. Most of them have never heard of anything like it and one other place said they no longer carried it. Is this something I have to get at the dealer?

Anyways, if you can help please reply, I can't wait to start using the turbo again:D

:confused:
so he is wrong again!? Grrrrrr!
Ok I'll trust you guys, I'll see if I can't make an appointment this week to a mechanic. Although I always hear about mechanics ripping people off too that's why I don't like them either. But I guess I'll give it a shot, I really want this car to work.
BTW rice killer I went to check the wastegate arm and it is still attached to the knob with a pin in there so that looks ok.

It sounds like the car wasn't looked after. A good service would do it the world of good. If you find a good local garage they will sort you out. Look at www.dsm.org and find your local club, they might be able to point you in the right direction.

The guys on here (Not me) know what they are talking about.

Originally posted by BatmanGSX
Why does everyone want to kick the seller in the nuts? I'm starting to like him.

I suppose it depends what side of the fence you are on.

For the buyer it sucks. But you have to admire the sellers stones, and ability to talk complete sh*t and make it believable.

I just don't like to see people get scammed.

Originally posted by LoUd91tsiFWD
Well I just got back from looking over the car with Hal (guy I bought it from) and we pulled off the intake tube. He tried to wiggle the wheel but it wouldn't move much at all he said. I even gave it a shot and sure enough it was still solid and spun freely.
He started going over some of the vaccuum lines, and there was one going to the pop off valve (he said it is used for releasing pressure when you let off the throttle so it doesn't hurt the turbo.) Well he had "T"d off one of the vaccuum lines so he could run the booster control to the pop off valve. We removed the valve because he said it might be getting stuck open and would not hold any of the boost.
He showed me how it worked and noticed that the valve was stuck open just a tiny bit and he said that was my problem. He told me I can pick a new one up at the dealer or a junkyard for around $30. I was happy to hear that it isn't going to cost that much to fix, so I have the valve off the car still, going to head to the junkyard tomorrow to see if I can find a good pop off valve.
I just want to make sure this makes sense. Seemed reasonable to me on why the boost would not hold if the valve was open.:)

Did you say you have the BOV(Blow Off Valve) off of the car?? You will want to put that back on before you drive it.

I suggest you put the BOV back on the car and take it to a local mechanic that knows how to work on turbo cars.

In the meantime I suggest you read everything at dsm.org , browse the forums here and at dsmtalk , and read about how turbos work at How Stuff Works . If you do all of that you should get a working knowledge of your car and how it works.

When I bought my car I didn't know anything about DSM's or Turbo Cars so I just started doing alot of reading and searching for websites that talked about DSM's.

Why does everyone want to kick the seller in the nuts? I'm starting to like him

Actually, so am I! Sounds like this guy could sell sand to an Arab, or Catholicism to a Jew!!! :D

oh come on guys... he is a con!.... how can you like such people... they are dispicable and i would kick his ^%& if i was there.

You should definately check to see if the turbo is still good. take off the fresh air inlet and have someone in the driver seat rev the engine really high to keep it running. Stick your finger into the moving blades. If the turbo stops, and then starts spinning again after you remove your finger, it's still good. If it stops, and doesn't start moving again, then it's bad. Another thing you should do is check if the engine is good. This is called a compression check. Pull all of your spark plugs out, and use a dropper to drop about 10 drops of water into each cylinder. Put the spark plugs back in. Start up the car. Some smoking is normal. If the engine doesn't want to turn over immediately, then you know the motor is bad. Another thing you should try to clean the motor out a bit more is buy some automatic transmission fluid, and pour about 4-5 quarts into the engine oil fill cap. It's almost like a detergent and will completely clean out the inside of the motor. There is also a VERY restrictive vacuum line that plugs into your fuel pressure regulator. It's on the end of the fuel rail, which is right above the intake manifold. Pull this line off as you don't need it; all it does is take away horsepower. The only other thing I would check for is down near the bottom of the turbo, you will see a bronze colored metal thing called your wastegate. In some states, they had strict emissions regulations, and they put a vacuum line on there with a T-tap on it. Pull it off if it's there. That line is nothing but an annoyance. I hope this helps, and good luck with your new DSM!!

Regards,

Originally posted by NosLaser
You should definately check to see if the turbo is still good. take off the fresh air inlet and have someone in the driver seat rev the engine really high to keep it running. Stick your finger into the moving blades. If the turbo stops, and then starts spinning again after you remove your finger, it's still good. If it stops, and doesn't start moving again, then it's bad. Another thing you should do is check if the engine is good. This is called a compression check. Pull all of your spark plugs out, and use a dropper to drop about 10 drops of water into each cylinder. Put the spark plugs back in. Start up the car. Some smoking is normal. If the engine doesn't want to turn over immediately, then you know the motor is bad. Another thing you should try to clean the motor out a bit more is buy some automatic transmission fluid, and pour about 4-5 quarts into the engine oil fill cap. It's almost like a detergent and will completely clean out the inside of the motor. There is also a VERY restrictive vacuum line that plugs into your fuel pressure regulator. It's on the end of the fuel rail, which is right above the intake manifold. Pull this line off as you don't need it; all it does is take away horsepower. The only other thing I would check for is down near the bottom of the turbo, you will see a bronze colored metal thing called your wastegate. In some states, they had strict emissions regulations, and they put a vacuum line on there with a T-tap on it. Pull it off if it's there. That line is nothing but an annoyance. I hope this helps, and good luck with your new DSM!!

Regards,

This entire post is so funny :rolleyes: , its mean, and the bad part is he would probably do it before asking anyone and ruin his car. That like saying that sugar in the gas tank increases octane (which is untrue for those of you who don't know.) Be nice man, I feel bad for him.

Regards,
Joe

Myyyylanta....

Ok, You have the inlet pipe off right? Ok, start the car with the pipe pulling fresh air and look at the turbo fins while you rock the throttle. Are they spinning a little? A lot? not at all? If it's not spinning at all, it's locked up, replace or rebuild. If it's moving a little you may have a broken shaft or a partially open waste gate. If it's spinning so fast you can't see the blades, your knock sensor my be messed up and you could be running rich. If you are, you lose loads of power. Otherwise, take it to a shop and have it looked over.

If it's spinning so fast you can't see the blades, your knock sensor my be messed up and you could be running rich.

Christ on a popsicle stick, it's a damn good thing you own a GS! Tell me, in your infinite wisdom, how would the blades spinning so fast you cannot see them have ANY relationship with the knock sensor or running rich. Keep your mouth shut if you don't know what the hell you are talking about as this tool is already confused enough as it is.

Joe

Christ on a popsicle stick, it's a damn good thing you own a GS! Tell me, in your infinite wisdom, how would the blades spinning so fast you cannot see them have ANY relationship with the knock sensor or running rich. Keep your mouth shut if you don't know what the hell you are talking about as this tool is already confused enough as it is.

Joe
Attitude...tsk tsk

If you stick your finger in a fast moving compressor it will remove your finger. I feel for this dude.

Just take the car to a mechanic and have them fix it before you hurt yourself, your car, or someone else.

Joe

...If you stick your finger in a fast moving compressor it will remove your finger. I feel for this dude. ...

Damn, you are right. And think about it. That there finger would NEVER get past the intercooler anyway...

Originally posted by NosLaser
...If you stick your finger in a fast moving compressor it will remove your finger. I feel for this dude. ...

Damn, you are right. And think about it. That there finger would NEVER get past the intercooler anyway...

I meant the inlet side with the intake pipe removed.

Tevenor:
I would prefer attitude long before spreading dis-information. Why aren't you more concerned with dTERM's post than with Joe's response?

Me or the other Joe?

If me, were was the dis-information? Please point it out and I will correct it.

Joe

...I meant the inlet side with the intake pipe removed...

I knew exactly what you meant. I was just being funny saying that the severed bloody finger would never get past the intercooler anyway.. ;)

Regards,

oh ok, sorry guys.

noslaser, I thought you meant a finger wouldn't reach the compressor through the intercooler... Don't I feel like an A$$

Joe

Hehe..no problem. And in this thread, I think we've lost all ability to call anyone an ass. My brain fell out somewhere on page 1...

Regards,

Ok I went today to have a local mechanic check the car out. The only place that could get me in today was Russel's Automotive. It was supposably a small garage run by 2 guys. They seemed very helpful and straight forward with their procedures, and told me this about the car. It is pretty bad news if they are right.

They hooked some type of computer to the car and said when the motor was "cold" and running, the car would hesitate and ping under throttle. They told me that is normal and those symptoms should go away when the car is warmed up. Which it does because when I test drove the car, the guy had met me in the middle of town and the car had been running a while.
Well that all went away once it was warmed up I just wanted to know if it was normal.
Unfortunately, the mechanic also said the turbo was not working and later on pulled it off and found out that the exhaust wheel was almost shredded to pieces, there was just a little amount of it holding it on, thus the reasone why it would still spin he explained to me. He said he can order me a new turbo, same stock turbo that came on the car brand new for about $1800 with labor. I figured I got the car for $2300, with $1800 more that would put me at $3100 for the car. I can afford this, but is it worth it to dump that much into this 11 year old car?

I told him about what the guy said about the pop off valve leaking boost, he said it was possible, but once he saw the turbo he said that was my problem, not the valve.

Well what should I do? I left the car there overnight and am supposed to make a decision by tomorrow. Should I sell the car or get it fixed?:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back