The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

wheel wobbling sound... bad wheel bearing????

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greeneclipse

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 29, 2003
Round Lake, Illinois
I hear a wobbling sound on my front left wheel while im driving but it stops when i brake to slow down though.

i raised the car up and i grabbed the top and bottom of the wheel, and it as a little play in it, but no play from side to side.

could this be a bad wheel bearing or something else???

and if its the wheel bearing, whats the easiest way to replace it??

thanks in advance for your help.

greeneclipse said:
I hear a wobbling sound on my front left wheel while im driving but it stops when i brake to slow down though.

i raised the car up and i grabbed the top and bottom of the wheel, and it as a little play in it, but no play from side to side.

This may sound stupid and I dont' mean to insult you or anything, but have you checked the lug nuts? Next, I'd check the bolts that hold the wheel hub to the assembly.

The best way to replace the wheel bearing would be to replace the hub assy. It comes all pre-assembled and its never a bad idea to replace those components...I wish the previous owner on mine had done that as my whole axle/hub/brake assembly is rust welded together.

yea that was the first thing i checked, and they're all torqued down. I even took the wheel off and tightened the lug nuts agains the rotor to see if it still wobbled and it did.

where are the bolts that hold the assembly, and what part or parts make up the hub assemebly if i decide to look for the whole thing??

i have the same problem as well but its in my driver side rear wheel sounds wobbly. ever since i replaced my transmission and winter hit i've been having 1 problem after another with this car LOL so... would this be a bearing issue?

Lower ball joint, check it and double check it. These cars are notorious for the lower ball joints jumping out and destroying your front end.

i have the same problem as well but its in my driver side rear wheel sounds wobbly. ever since i replaced my transmission and winter hit i've been having 1 problem after another with this car LOL so... would this be a bearing issue?

If it sounds "wobbly" and has no play you probably have either a bearing issue or it's tire noise, if your rear tires are choppy and your fronts are worn even start by swapping the front and rear wheels. Then see if the noise moves, if it does, you just need new tires.

If you can get the car off of the ground grab the spring of the wheel that you think has the bad bearing. Spin the wheel while holding the spring. If there is a large amount of vibration in the spring its probably a wheel bearing on the way out. You can check the other wheels the same way to compare how they feel.

I have this same problem, Already ordered the wheel hub assembly and it's going to be replaced as soon as the part comes in. Rear wheel hubs always seem to be seized for some reason. I've had to replace the whole rear axle along with hub because they were fused together. Good luck man.

Lower ball joint, check it and double check it. These cars are notorious for the lower ball joints jumping out and destroying your front end.

If it sounds "wobbly" and has no play you probably have either a bearing issue or it's tire noise, if your rear tires are choppy and your fronts are worn even start by swapping the front and rear wheels. Then see if the noise moves, if it does, you just need new tires.

thnx ill definitly try that and i also notice when i turn the wheel to the right it's quieter and when i turn the wheel to the left it get alot louder.

The way you are describing it, it sounds like a ball joint problem. If you have movement when grabbing the tire by the top and bottom, but not when you grab it on the sides it can't be a wheel bearing. A bad wheel bearing will have movement no matter where you grab the tire and wiggle when it's off the ground. Most of the time you can diagnose it like this...

1) have movement when grabbing top and bottom of tire = bad ball joint
2) have movement when grabbing sides of tire = bad tierod end
3) have movement in all directions = bad wheel bearing

Mine moved in all directions so that's what led me to believe it was the wheel bearing, We'll know for sure sometime this week hopefully. I'm waiting for the hub to get here.

To avoid throwing parts at a car that doesn't need them you can always get someone to shake down the wheels while you look and feel for play. Inner/outer tie rod play are very easy to spot, ball joints are next, and bearing play is a little harder to see, but if you know what you are looking for it can save you from replacing unneeded parts.

check to see if you rims is clamping down on your brake rotor also :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back