The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

What's this wire for?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boarderlib

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 13, 2011
Rittman, Ohio
I have a stock 92 gsx. I was under the car working on replacing the fuel line when sure enough I happen to come across a wire that is just hanging there. It comes from the alternator harness, and extends out about 9 inches then breaks. I looked everywhere and can't find another broken wire ( the other end), but as we all know there's not exactly a lot of room to see in there. I have 2 wires going into the alternator plug in harness. Its the wire I am holding in the pic. Thanks again in advance for any and all of your help.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1343924731341.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1343924731341.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 87
Etc? There should be more than one going to the ofh? I have 1 wire going to the ofh that's a blueish green wire, oil pressure sender I believe. The broken one looks like it would go to that union, right above the butt connector. I seen the butt connector and assumed that the wire broke from that union (harness, plug).

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1343926303488.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1343926303488.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 83
Oil pressure switch? I just happened to see what looks like a corroded ring terminal that is broken off, going to the front of the ofh.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1343927236247.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1343927236247.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 84
Oil pressure switch? I just happened to see what looks like a corroded ring terminal that is broken off, going to the front of the ofh.

that "switch" is your dummy light, there will be a wire going to it (black if i recall) and it grounds out when you have low pressure giving you the dummy light, as far as i know thats how it works.

Cool thanks! Then that must be where my broken wire attaches, because I'll be darned if I can find anywhere else it would attach. That would explain why the one time I ran about a quart low on oil the dummy light didn't come on.

Well what good is that, if it isn't gonna come on before that point? Seems to me, and I am in no way an authority on the subject:D that you would almost start to hear it knocking by that point. Thanks again for all of the help guys!

I can't seem to find an answer to this and I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but I just want to see what others think.

The wire on my car is barely hanging on and it actually has the copper wire exposed (with only one or two strands of copper still intact) where I circled below. I was thinking of just cutting the wire before the black connector/clip thing and soldering on a new length of wire. That little guy doesn't have any sort of release clip (I don't think they are supposed to disconnect). Does the black plastic piece serve a purpose or is it just simply used to clip the wire to the OFH?

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 55
In the pic in post 3 you can see that someone had already skipped around that plug or whatever that thing is. That red butt connector on the blue wire was at one point hooked up through that black connector.
Oh yea. I probably should add that my stock oil pressure gauge works just fine, as far as I know. So as far as I can see that connector is just a means from keeping that wire from dangling around. Please feel free to chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

In the pic in post 3 you can see that someone had already skipped around that plug or whatever that thing is. That red butt connector on the blue wire was at one point hooked up through that black connector.
Oh yea. I probably should add that my stock oil pressure gauge works just fine, as far as I know. So as far as I can see that connector is just a means from keeping that wire from dangling around. Please feel free to chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

Yeah I got a chance to re-wire this weekend. I just cut it up and used a butt connector (I know, not my first choice). I would've soldered it, but I couldn't find the solder gun anywhere. I made sure I wrapped it in electrical tape and then wire loom though. In any case, oil pressure seemed fine so I think it's safe to do.

Here's the guy I deleted. From what I can tell, the only purpose it serves is to clip it to the OFH.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back