The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G What's this

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Awdgsx 97

Probationary Member
Jul 8, 2016
Henderson, Nevada
Hey guys I'm starting to do little things to my 97 gsx and I noticed this and wanted to see if you could help figure this out . There are a couple little hoses disconnected and some snipped wires , car seems to run fine just bugs me

Attachments

• 20160727_161446.jpg
    20160727_161446.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 212
  • 20160722_143314.jpg
    20160722_143314.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 203
If you're able to hook everything back up, I would for now. It'll get rid of the smell and you may notice the car run better or smoother. If you're able to get ahold of a program to delete it, that's an option as well. Might check your state emissions laws first. Getting rid of the egr system plus removing the catalytic converter will give a small increase in power but nothing major. It simply allows the motor to 'inhale' and 'exhale' easier.

I was hoping that would make the smell better , but yea since I'm a super noon have to figure out what's what and get it all connected, I want it mechanically sound before I do any upgrades, so again any help is appreciated

One thing that I notice is that you do not have the Purge Control Sloenoid that originally came equipped on your car.

95-97 Purge Control Solenoid: (Yellow arrow)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It looks as if someone took a solenoid off of your car and rigged it up as evidenced by the terribly spliced connector. I can assume that either someone had removed it at one point, and needed to hook one back up for emissions purposes, or the original one broke and the owner rigged something up to "work". Perhaps it may be best to seek someone out who is parting our a 95-97 DSM for the correct solenoid, or one of fellow vendors who regularly part out DSM's.

You may also want to inspect the rest of your emissions system based upon the pics you provided. Here is the 97 specific vacuum diagram:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thanks that helps , it looks like a couple things were pulled , prolly why it was throwing a code but out of nowhere turned off , passed smog but a few days later after driving it a little hard starated smelling fumes

So I'm looking at all this and noticing it looks like the pcs is there . Looking around not noticing anything missing . I'll post some better pics , it does look like 2 wires are cut near the purge control still being plugged in by 2

Attachments

• 20160730_160541.jpg
    20160730_160541.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 20160730_160613.jpg
    20160730_160613.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 108
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back