The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Whats the best alarm system/security to get?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LongJonSilver

10+ Year Contributor
May 13, 2008
East Brunswick, New_Jersey
Right now i just have a code alarm in my car but im in the build process and beed dropping lots of money into the car. I was reading on here and on evo forums that there are a lot of people getting they're cars stolen, broken into, f^ked with etc. So my question whats the best route to stop theves alarm wise, tracking, kill switch? And I'm looking at a viper alarm right now what to you guys think.

If you want your car back, get lowjack and have a seperate enclosed battery with the system.
Hidden somewhere as well as welded into the car would be a good point. Possibly behind the dash or cluster at least. There should be room in there for that plus a small battery, may have to gut a knee vent or something for the battery.
2g's are pretty cramped though so I'm not certain.

And always have a killswitch, either on/off, or push to start kind. Best thing about push to start is you have to push it while you keyon or your stuck and it's not going anywhere.

There is a lot of new stuff on the market. I looked into the alarm situation last summer. The incorporation of GPS tracking and paging location are the hot trend. Problem is that an inclosed trailer will negate any GPS. I still have not bought anything. Might be the pager is best. Hardly anybody pays much attention to alarms going off. It is intimidating to get near a car that does have a perimeter alarm. Kind of creepy when a vehicle knows you are there. Tres...I will follow this thread to see what's best too.

I work at an alarm shop so your best bet would be to get da viper 5901 or the autopage cs3-730 they both have a mile range on the pager remote and the both are capable of workin wit a cellphone so u have pratically unlimited range and all u should do for more security is add some extra sensors like a tilt sensor and a perimeter sensor and maybe add some air horns to the alarm instead of the siren that way u make sure your alarm is paid attention to

Layers is the way to go. A long range 2-way pager alarm plus, tracking device plus, hidden kill switch(es), insurance to cover aftermarket parts, etc. etc. Don't make it easy for theives. It all depends on how bad you want to protect your investment. It makes no sense to spend thousands on your car and not have it properly protected. As mentioned above, there's all sorts of protection besides just a car alarm.

I have the Viper 2-way alarm, and can't complain.

If you want the best security, get something like Lo-jack so you have satellite tracking as well.

Don't need a to pay big money for a high-tech alarm system. Personally no one is going to think it's worth stealing it and if they knew what was under the hood I'd be surprise if they knew how the handle it and drive my car off. Not to mention, it would catch everyone's attention in my apt. complex and I'd be running out there faster than they could get it up and running because it is really really loud.

That is good for if they try stealing the car, although the best is a hidden kill switch. If they can't steal it in 1-2 minutes, they wont.

That won't work for someone pulling a flatbead up to it and taking it though.. which is how a lot of thefts are these days. Bystanders just think it is a repo.

That is where a good gps tracker is required, or a vibration sensitive 2-way.

so far after reading the posts here and doing some googleing...there is a question like this on every car forum known to man LOL... the layering works well but you also need an alarm. Its between viper and compustar. The two I was looking at this viper Viper - Viper 5002 Responder 2-Way Security System and this compustar Compustar.com - Makers of the Finest Remote Starts and Security Systems it seems that the quality/rating of users from both are very mixed a lot say compustar remotes fail and there are more problems with it than viper. Then a lot of people say that compustar is better because of the increased range in the remote over viper. However, viper comes stock w/more features and is a high quality company, DEI, who owns viper, cliford, and python. Also, making oem remotes for Ferarris and Lambo's. For me IDK what im getting yet but it seems like the viper plus the all the extras.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back