The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

What tires should I get [Merged 3-9] which tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anyone have any 60 foot times they can list and what tire theyre on. fwd only please. Im looking at buying BF Goodrich TA drag radials, but im tempted just to do slick for the track. it would be nice to have the drag radials for weekend street running and I can just drive to the track on them. They wouldnt be daily runners though.

I ran a 1.89 60 on 23" M&H slicks BT28 turbo, open stock diff and stock suspension, mounted to a set of cheapo 15" konig holes, the rims were good for me since they cost a whooping $50 each and had the correct offset/ lug pattern to mount my slicks. Other friends DSMtimes entries, Micheal Giruad 1.798 on 24.5" M&H moutned to a set of 15" rims FP2544 turbo, Taylor hinton, 2.055 on 23" (belive they were also M&H) on a 15" rim same BT28 turbo I am running now. Taylor Hinton also ran Mikeys 24.5" combo for a 11.7 run want to say his 60" was 1.7 on his 60trim setup. This last one I can not say for sure since the video is on my home PC and I am at work, but I will verify the exact time when I get home tonight. But a good deal of 60' times has be learned with numerous launches, and how you launch IE, easing it out, rpm to launch at, antilag/studder,ect. My launch RPM is 5,500 RPM studder box via DSMlink, I ease the clutch out till she starts moving then let her have it. I know I could drop it a bit, but my car bobs like a boat going over a wave due to the stock suspension. I know once I get the new stuff in and hopefully have 13" weld rim mounted to 24.5" M&H I should be able to get that time down there, I will have 11.5" of sidewall total (5.75" per side) ought to make for some nice wrinkle shots off the line.

I say run the slicks at the track to prevent hop, that will break anything faster than you care to know. I think running slicks on a properly prepped track is safer on the drivetrain than anything. This video link of my first 12 second run has been posted a few times on here, but you can see the amount my front end moves on the burnout and on the 1-2 shift. Still managed a 1.9 60'. https://home.comcast.net/~utspoolup/movies.html/spoolup12.99.wmv

With 555's the best 60' I laid down was 2.27 I think, worse was almost 3.0! I only ran them the first day of racing since I got tremendious hope with them and decided to lay down some money for the slicks. I know suspension will help these times/ results.

Actually I just found the video online, 11.74@120 and 1.76 60'.

get some 7.5" light fwd wheels

235/60- 15 mickey thompson et street radials.

However you will not want to be caught in rain with these tires on or you'll be totally hosed.

All I've done to my car right now is the hacked aircan, boost solenoid free mod and aftermarket bov. When I tried launching my car, the wheels skid almost immediately after launch and continue to do so for a while, so I'm guessing I need new tires for my car before I continue with any performance mods. Any suggestions on which tires to get? Also, what size should I get them? 17s, 18s or stock 16s?

As far as tires you want to get you have to look at what your trying to get out of them. Traction, life, looks? All around tire? Size? Same with the rim you have to see what you want as far as weight,style, offsets, price etc. Once you figure out what you want if you still don't know what you want post it up, it'll be easier to help you out then. Either way I recommend Falken azenis I have them. The grip and the life on them balance out pretty good. Check out tire.com read around they have useful information.

If you're slipping, you want to stick with as small a rim as possible, for maximum sidewall. So you'll want to stick with stock 16s if possible. Also, running wider tread (increasing the size of the contact patch) can help cut down on spin.

Real problem is that GS-Ts spin 'em really easy... and better tires may cut down on it, but will never completely eliminate it, especially under hard launch attempts.

In any case, my personal recommendations:

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 ($250/tire or thereabouts)
BFGoodrich gForce T/A KDW-2 ($230/tire)
Riken Raptor ZR ($80/tire, still testing)

The Eagles have a great grip range if you're interested in autocross or spirited technical driving. They do NOT hold up well though, and I ended up buying a new set of tires after less than 5,000 miles due to shoulderblock balding and visible cracking along the sidewall/tread seam. Absolute E-ticket ride though... keep a set on a spare set of rims for track days, if you can afford it.

The KDWs are decent, look a bit better, hold up a lot better, but were VERY noisy and personally felt 'wrong'. The car would slip with little warning and change in the tire tone, leading to more than one situation I'd not prefer to repeat.

Raptors have a distinctly different sound from the others, and start 'talking' almost immediately on starting a turn after they've warmed up. They feel very loose, but that could be the new alignment... it's tough to feel when they're holding, and when they're slipping. So far though, I've safely handled turns at 150% of the speed I could on the KDWs... will have to see how they react once they've had a chance to really start wearing in.

I would first work on your launch before you get a new set of tire's and burn them up. Learn to ease out the clutch and apply gas as your easing out, not just dump the clutch and spin the tires to redline. I ran off some pretty decent times before with some tire's that weren't in the best shape but I eased into the launch more.

I think I'm considering either 17s for performance and 18s for looks. Definitely not gonna get new tires for stock 16s (I've just decided.) I wouldn't really want to pay like anything more than 150 for each tire tho ### I'm so damn poor. Are there any ones that provide good traction within my price range? And should I get 17s or 18s? I just cant decide... :cry: Oh regarding my launch, I have an automatic, and I usually launch at 2k so that the turbo spools the moment I let off the brakes. Any tips on launching?

As far as looks go, 18 are the way to go. Im not sure if your car is lowered or not, but a stiffer spring in th rear will help with launching, because it doesn't allow weight to transfer away from the fronts. As far as tires, the nitto neo gen are cheap and at most 128 for wide 18's. There are so many places on the net to find tires or tire and rim packages you cant go wrong. In the Nov 2005 issue of eurotuners mag they have a great 14 tire, wet and dry tire test. It may be online.

If you live where it gets really hot like i do in arizona. I would go with The Yokahama AVS 100 I think thats what they are called. I got them and wow was it a difference compared to the Kumho tires I used to have. Never going back Kumho(SP) tires. The yokahama'a arnt to expensive I paid 89 for each tires. I got a rim 16 on my gs-t not to mention the thread design looks awsome. Also like stated before, harder springs do help out alot. After i got tires i went with some eibach sportlines+ kyb AGX shocks. That combo really help reduce wheel spin. Good luck.

I also Have Riken Raptors, They were the cheapest, But their new. I got them like a week after being on shelfs. Im awd, But my front 2 tires wore out fast. It really pissed me off, I have only had them for like 5 months. My alignment eneded up being off the shop i bought the tires from, Gave me a free alignement and rotation

I'd say get Falken azenis and some nice lighterweight 17's. I would get the tires in a 225/45/17. But thats just my opinion the azenis is a great tire and hoof up very well.

The Falken Azenis tires are a great overall dry grip tire, but i think they are a little out of the price range that our guy is looking for.
Further more on the falkens, they are a great tire for auto x, they are great on really hot days they don't overheat and loose grip like most tires do under really hot conditions. Not a really great rain tire, but have a tread wear of 200.
Another really good tire that has come out semi-recently is the Yokokhama Advan Neova AD-07, the only car i have been in that had them is my buddies M5 just got a set and he loves them, but hasn't run them on the auto x yet to see how they really do.

How much do you want to spend?
The tire rack has awesome deals on tires and rims.

I have a daily driver that i will be taking to the track about 2 times a month. I have been through 3 sets Nitto 450's and now my Falken Azenis are completely bald after such a short time. My camber and toe and everything is fine. They just wear out way too fast. Can anyone direct me to a tire that will last me longer, that can still be used at the track for autocross and 1/4 mile? If not i am just going to purchase another set of Falken RT-615's Thanks

bridgestone re01-r
pretty sticky and decent life, they replaced the so3's with these

Ok i did some more reading and i guess you cant really have an AutoX and a Straight away tire. I guess for now im looking for just a street tire that will do decent in 1/4 mile midnight drags. What about these tires for what i am trying to do.

Khumo Ecsta SPT
BF Goodrich G-Force Sport
Khumo MX
Khumo Ecsta ASX
Eagle F-1 GS-D3

Currently im looking at the SPT but would like more inputs.

I never got a chance to run slicks on my old gst with a big 16g setup. but I did have the bfg drag radials in 225/50/15. they are hands down better than the 555s. it almost feels like an awd..LOL. this was on ebay coilovers and stock shocks. I netted consistent 2.1 60fts. I guess with some better suspension I couldve done better.

I have a video of my run in the video section. its a yellow 2g gst vs a black prelude. I ran 13.2 @ 90mph misshifting 4th gear. the wheel hops did end up killing my tranny =)

Best slick i would have to say is the BFG R1. I was at skip barber racing school and we were running those. On the autocross track i could'nt get them to break loose at all in the rain. SO i would go with those. If your looking for something year round, in october BFG is coming out with the g-force super sport, which is gonna be all season with a high temperture rating. Which means you can run them at the track and then keep them on, even if your car is a daily driver.

im running 225/50-16 kuhmo ecsta spt's mounted on the 16" 2g alloys. its a fairly decent setup. im running at the track this friday, if you are interested in 60 ft times ill let you know.

I would say either motegi track lites or 5 zigen FN01Rs and the mickey thompson ET street drag radials or bfgs. Also the biggest traction mods that work wonders with your tires and rims will be LSD, full bushing kit and coilover setup. I have a fully built car with all these things and the kaaz lsd is worth its weight in gold.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back