The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

What tires should I get [Merged 3-9] which tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hey mhuffman... what were the 60 ft times... i need to get rid of this spinning at the line crap

Hey guys i forgot about this post. i didnt have all my motor mount done and it was my firs time with my car at the track, but i had 2.3's and one high 2.2.

with all my mounts filled and slightly lower tire pressures this time around, i'm hoping for a 2.1. If i had good tires like Falken Rt-615 or the new Hankook autox tire in 235 width i'd be 2.0 or less. with slicks it'd be fun!

And everyone, if you are running FWD, do it justice and get at least 225 width tires of decent grip. we need all the traction we can get. FWD can be lots of fun, but you need good tires, equal tire pressures, and good alignment. i can shift hard into 2nd, WOT, and not spin, and run a 14.2@100 with $68/piece tires. check my sig. i had so many boost leaks it wasnt funny. ill put a new vid up of my next run, im shooting for high 13's in the 100's on street tires and pump gas. Check my profile for mods. i dont even have many mods.

hey mhuffman... what were the 60 ft times... i need to get rid of this spinning at the line crap

Your 60ft time is pretty good. do u have solid motor mounts? if not, i would get them. it makes the car more fun, more connected, and faster. and significantly more vibrations... :notgood:

but i love them. i did mine custom with windshield urethane.

I had Perelli Pzero Nero Tires 225/45 on my 17x8's. I never had an issue hooking up on the street or strip with them.

Ok, so here is the set up.

97 Eclipse GSX current setup:
KYB AGX and Sportline Springs
Enkei 17x7.5 with 40mm offset
Falken 225/45/17 tires

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The tires that are on it right now are really sticky, which is a quality i am looking for in the new set of tires. I also want to go 235 all the way around if possible and recommended for that wheel size. Do you experts think that will work? I'm hoping sticky 235/45 tire will do wonders with the stroker setup it will have.

So what are some sticky tire options, im looking for summer tires too. I also have to get a camber kit for it, that is why i need new tires. Would you do 235s?

If I really needed to couldn't I just get 5mm spacers if the 235 tires did rub? Would I need harder wheel studs if I were to do this? I really want that extra tire width all the way around, plus I also like the wheel wider that body look.

I am currently running 235/45/17 tires on my GST right now (look at pics). I get some rub in the back under real hard acceleration but that is because i believe my rear suspension is gone, therefore i need to buy a new stiffer suspension and raise the rear up a bit. 235's will be just fine on your car. As for tires, get toyo proxes tr1's if you want sticky. Friend of mine runs those same brand tires and model on his 560+hp daily driven 350z.

What kind of tire is on there now? michelins are always a great gripping tire. I work at discount tire and my favorite michelin tire is the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, tad spendy but well worth it! there is also the goodyear Eagle F1 A/S C or Asymmetric.

I don't know which falkens are on there right now, but they are really grippy. The previous owner pulled a 1.68 60' time on them without letting air out, but didn't put a camber kit on the car. I have been looking at the BFG g-force sports.

Im only going to go to the track a couple times this summer, but i want to be able to pull 1.6x 60' times on a bolt-on GT30r on a 2.3L with anti-lag, so im looking for a tire that won't spin since im going to try to be launching out of the whole with 20+ psi. My goal is 11.5 on pump gas.

Here are the three I have been looking at...

Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec

Direzza DZ101

g-Force Sport

What do you guys think? I'm leaning towards the Direzza DZ101s since they are the cheapest. Not to sound cheap or anything.

I had those G-Force Sports on my old Honda Prelude. I really liked them as a decent every day tire. Don't expect them to be some ultimate autox street tire though.

Those Z1's look nice, but I don't know much about them.

Well I found the best prices yet on the tires im looking for. Onlinetires.com has the Direzza DZ101s for $87 per tire, and the Falken Ziex ZE-912s for $82 per tire. The ZE-912s are what is on the car right now, in 225 width.

I haven't looked at shipping yet but those are some good prices. So should I stick with what has worked, or try something new?

prostreetdsmx1 have you used the DZ101s? I would expect that they are sticky enough to pick up and throw sand in the wheel wells, since thats what the falkens do.

I use Kumho Ecsta's: ASX in the winter, and MX this past summer. The MX is the stickiest tire I've ever run. A huge difference from the ASX's which I used to run year round. They pick up little bits of sand and gravel like flypaper. I only got 3 runs in with them at the track last year, so I can't comment on how low a 60' they are good for (I launch like granny LOL).

I have to agree with Matthew regarding the Kumho Ecsta MX's. They are stickier than the Bridgestone SO-3's that they replaced (although not as responsive). Best straight line grip I've found so far. Great bang for the buck.

And yes, they easily pick up sand and small gravel. Run your finger across them on warm days and they feel quite gummy.

Hey guys are any of you running or have ran a 245 45 17 on their 2g awd? I have prokits on stock struts. And do/did you have any problems running that wide of a tire?

I was thinking either the Nitto NT 555, Goodyear eagle f1 as, or the yokohama s drive. Anyone running any of those tires? Pros and cons thanks

I break loose in second gear at 4k on stock boost :ohdamn:. Looks like its time to open my wallet...again.

What tires is everyone running for a DD with around 250-300hp?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back