The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

What size turbo is this??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talonsteve25

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 21, 2008
calgary, AB_Canada
I was looking at my turbo and on the side its says garret .48 A/R but the big 16 g is only a .49? Is my turbo a 13b or has some one gone and changed it already?:confused:

Stock manifold?

Sounds like Garret T3, but impossible to know without more details ...

To my knowledge, MHI turbo's don't say Garret on them but I could be wrong, I dont get to see many 2g cars.

Does it have TDO4H or TDO5H cast anywhere on it? That'd be one way to know if it was an MHI.

Ill check tomorrow what else its has on it but i remember reading .48. My cars automatic though i thought auto had the 13b? Ya it has stock manifold. I keep second guessing on this car if it was modded then covered up, it seemed wierdly fast before i took it apart..

Stock manifold?
Sounds like Garret T3, but impossible to know without more details ...
To my knowledge, MHI turbo's don't say Garret on them but I could be wrong, I dont get to see many 2g cars.
Does it have TDO4H or TDO5H cast anywhere on it? That'd be one way to know if it was an MHI.

Its a garrett .48. My friend has one. Im not sure how good they are. Does it have a t3 flange? T3 flange flows best out of all.

2gs come stock with a Garrett T25 that says .48 on the side, he most likely has a stock T25

Ill check tomorrow what else its has on it but i remember reading .48. My cars automatic though i thought auto had the 13b? Ya it has stock manifold. I keep second guessing on this car if it was modded then covered up, it seemed wierdly fast before i took it apart..

Only auto 1gs have the 13b all 2gs manual or auto come with a Garrett T25

LOL thanks, thats why its out of my car in a puddle of oil in its misery. Thanks guys i was just confused what it was so .48 is just the radius? not a good way to determine size then?

Area/Radius calculations mean nothing to determine a turbo's size, and neither does trim.

What you want to pay attention to is the inducer/exducer measurements of the wheels to determine size:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

More info here: TurboByGarrett.com - Turbo Tech102

You say trim dont show size, but isnt trim created off the exducer/inducer size.
True, but there is no way to determine specific compressor and turbine wheels using just a 'trim' number alone. For example: 50-trim. It could be a T04E Garrett, a Mitsu 16G, etc...

You say trim dont show size, but isnt trim created off th exducer/inducer size.
If one turbo had a 2" compressor inducer / 3" compressor exducer measurement and another had a 4" compressor inducer / 6" compressor exducer, the trim numbers would be the same even though one is much larger than the other.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back